- UDEN, Utah Digital Entertainment Network.
Role: Advisor (and one of the original founders).
A partnership between Silicon Slopes and UDEN, in which UDEN will become their official chapter for digital entertainment. Through this partnership, UDEN and Silicon Slopes will work together to identify ways in which to leverage the respective skill sets of the communities, fostering collaboration and mutually beneficial opportunities. Including the sharing of knowledge, capabilities and services in addition to the cross-promotion of events. Joining forces with Silicon Slopes will help UDEN toward its goal of building a strong ecosystem for digital entertainment across the entire state of Utah.
11/29/2017 - 11/29/2017
- MDEC Malaysia Digital Economy Comission.
MDEC Advisory Panel. MDEC senior management, key thoughts and opinions in shaping what you see best for building a national agenda for digital content development and from a more macro sense, provide suggestion on shaping and developing an industry. To facilitate this discussion, it would be useful to structure some thoughts around the following themes, as these are the areas of interest at present:
• Creative Ecosystem growth: does the education system in your country set creative courses as part of mainstream? If yes, in what level of education? Pre-school, primary, secondary, tertiary? If not, did the companies/industrial players in your country do something to prepare their future talents?
• Creative Technologies vs Content Development: Which one come first in your country? Was there parallel/simultaneous development? Which would work better in your opinion? In your country, which is the higher priority? Why was that so? What would the company perspective be vs. the government perspective?
• Public sector involvement: Is the business environment in your country able to support this growth? How? What has the government done to facilitate? Are there involvement in any private/independent associations’ involvement? How would they help?
Held at CyberView in Kuala Lumpur
08/11/2017 - 08/11/2017
- Unity Technologies.
Professional Skill Standards for Interactive Application and Video Game Creation, Education Division, Unity Technologies. Unity is the leading game engine in the world. Request from Michael Edmonds, Direction of Education and Chair of the Skill Standards Development Committee.
06/10/2014 - 06/30/2014
- Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.
Independent evaluator with the right expertise to assess Hans-Peter Bacher’s work in connection with his reappointment School of Art, Design and Media, Nanyang Technological University.
04/28/2014 - 05/04/2014
- Walt Disney Animation Studios Siggraph 2013 Educator's Form.
Gathering of the top animation and education professionals. Their new movie Frozen was the primary example used to illustrate concepts.
07/24/2013 - 07/24/2013
- DeTao Master Academy.
Role: Advisor to other potential masters.
Mentored Thomas W. Speh, PhD, Professor Emeritus, Director of E-Learning, Farmer School of Business, Miami University, Oxford, OH on his potential role in international relations with DeTao organization in China.
04/09/2013 - 04/09/2013
- Korean Digital Media Conference partnership.
Discussion of interest from Korea on Digital Media Collaboration with Korean Game Culture Foundation. Recommendation to combine with PushButton Summit. Steve Roy (UVU), Perry Renshaw. Brain Institute, University of Utah. Discussion of interest from Korea on Digital Media Collaboration with Korean Game Culture Foundation. It was decided that it would be best to combine with PushButton. Steve Roy (UVU), Perry Renshaw (Brain Institute).
09/06/2012 - 09/06/2012
- IGDA, International Game Developers Association Education SIG.
Game-Education SIG fosters discussion of spreading best practices across the many game development programs around the world. Establish project leads, timelines and formats for item submission to the curriculum and newly proposed assignment. Project Wiki.
03/06/2012 - 03/06/2012
- PushButton Sumit 2012.
Planning Committee for Push Button Summit 2012. Review in March 2012 and selection in October 2012. Steve Roy, Ryan Angus, Craig Bott, Clark Smith.
03/2012 - 10/2012
- UCAP Utah Cluster Acceleration Partnership .
Role: Member of UCAP Digital Media committee.
Digital Media implementation phase meeting at UVU. Representatives from business community and government.
02/08/2012 - 02/08/2012
- Sundance Film Festival and Canadian Consulate.
Planning Committee for New-Media Technologies Roundtable" event. Pitch the idea this year for future roundtable event next year focused on multimedia, entertainment and gaming technologies in association with Sundance's New Frontier Exhibit. Explore the possibility of hosting the roundtable on a specific industry topic.
Ladan Amirazizi, Acting Consul General, Scott Parker, Honorary Consul in Utah, Consulate General of Canada, Keri Putnam, Executive Director, Sundance Institute, Shari Frilot, Senior Programmer & Curator Sundance Institute, New Frontier; Elizabeth Greenway, Director, Foundation & Government Giving, Sundance Institute; Michelle Satter, Director, Feature Film Program, Sundance Institute; Miguel R. Rovira, Regional Director, International Trade & Diplomacy Office, Governor's Office of Economic Development; Stephan Akin, WR Strakey, Dallas, TX; Jon Beutler, Director Park City Innovation Center (PCIC); Dr. Anna Szabados, Dean, School of Art, Communication and New Media Salt Lake Community College; Marco Messina, Park City Angels, Venture Capital; Dr. Rob S. MacLeod, Associate Director Scientific Computing and Imaging Institute UofU; Dr. Greg Jones, President and CEO, VisTrails Inc.
01/20/2012 - 01/20/2012
- University of Central Florida.
Role: External Reviewer.
Review of the School of Visual Art and Design program. School has multiple units: Art, Digital Media, and Architecture. 2 day, on-site visit.
06/05/2011 - 06/07/2011
- Opportunity Quest is a student business plan tournament. It provides student entrepreneurs with a chance to receive equity free funding and mentorship for their startups. The executive summary is used to narrow the submissions down to 10 finalists. The top 10 will proceed by creating a 2-minute video and working with an assigned community mentor to prepare them for a final 10-minute pitch.
12/09/2017 - 12/12/2017.
- EMRON GROVER (Cloth and Simulation Lead) joined Pixar Animation Studios as a cloth and simulation artist on the Academy Award®-winning feature “Up”, and most recently as a cloth artist on “Finding Dory.” As a cloth lead, Grover leads the cloth tailoring team, clothing all the characters in the film. This team tailors digital models of garments, creates their particular cloth-like behavior, and sets up controls that enable them to act and react according to the design and motion philosophies of the film.
11/03/2017 - 11/03/2017.
- CFA Scholars group. The group is meant simply as a way for those of us who identify as scholars (even if we also do creative research) to gather and to think through various scholarly issues in the Fine Arts.
09/15/2017 - 09/15/2017.
- Film and Media Arts Graduate Student beginning of the year gathering.
09/09/2016 - 09/09/2016.
- The College Council shall be the representative body of the College of Fine Arts, which shall have, subject to the approval of the Academic Senate, jurisdiction over all questions of educational policy affecting the College, including program development, requirements for entrance and graduation, curriculum, course fees, and special projects.
08/21/2016 - 04/05/2018.
- FMA Candidate Presentations: FMA Candidate Presentations – China Medel [4-2-15], Sylvie Bissonnette [4-8-15], Greg Burris [4-9-15], Martin Zeilinger [4-23-15], Sara Sinwell [4-28-15] Review and selection [4-29-15]. FMA Faculty Meetings [1-16-15, 2-13-15, 3-6-15, 4-3-15, 4-17-15] and CFA College meeting, CRCC115 [1-30-2015].
01/01/2015 - 12/31/2015.
- Innovation Uncaged - UofU Entrepreneurial Faculty Scholars Fall Retreat. Focus “Trans-disciplinary Innovations at the U”. Panel Presentation: "Video Games and Patient Empowerment".
09/16/2013 - 09/16/2013.
- RPT EAE Program for Clinical faculty (Entertainment Arts and Engineering Program). Mark van Langveld and Roger Altizer for Associate Professor Lecturer.
06/2013 - 06/2013.
- Institute Service - support letter for establisment of the University of Utah Lassonde Entrepreneur Institute to the University of Utah Graduate Council.
03/22/2013 - 03/22/2013.
- CFA College RPT Committee, reviewed candidate files before meeting and met 11-19-12 (3:30-7pm) to make final determination.
10/2012 - 11/2012.
- FMA department RPT committee. Review of materials, discussion, and final documents.
10/01/2012 - 10/01/2012.
- USTAR and Technology Commercialization Office Meeting. The process and assistance for commercialization.
08/31/2012 - 08/31/2012.
- Jose Zagal, interview visit, for games design position in EAE. Met with Jose and executive committee for EAE in North Lab, EAE.
08/31/2012 - 08/31/2012.
- Goal Six Review Committee for the 2011-2016 College of Fine Arts Strategic Plan as the principal blueprint for growth and development, in-depth review of each goal. Establish the benchmarks, timelines and the responsible groups or persons for the implementation of the strategies to achieve the goal.
05/2012 - 06/2012.
- Janet Iwasa, interview visit, for graphics position in Oncological Sciences, University Hospital. Dr. Caldwell pick up Dr. Iwasa on the North side of HCI for tour of EAE South Studio of the Film and Media Arts Building and meeting EAE Executive committee.
04/19/2012 - 04/19/2012.
- Tech Tuesday, a networking event presented by the Technology Commercialization Office (TCO). Spring meeting Feb 2, 2012 and October 16, 2012.
02/12/2012 - 02/12/2012.
- CFA College Council, Acting Representative for Department of Film and Media Arts.
09/02/2011 - 09/02/2011.
- Entrepreneurial Faculty Scholars (EFS).
08/21/2011 - 04/16/2012.
- College Events: College Faculty Meetings (1-21-11, ), CFA Distinguished Alumni Reception (3-29-11), CFA Assembly (3-30-11), Meetings with the Dean Tymas-Jones (3-18, 3-28, 4-13, 9-15, 10-7). CFA Faculty and Alumni Reception (10/04/2011) .
01/21/2011 - 12/31/2011.
- Panelist - UEN, community partnership/engagement with the Center for Arts and Media at SLCC, hosting a series for films to be followed by panelists, 6pm.
02/04/2015 - 02/04/2016
- Going to School for Games - The U of U Panel.
2013 SALT LAKE COMIC CON SEPTEMBER 5-7 AT THE SALT PALACE CONVENTION CENTER. 30,000 Tickets sold.
09/07/2013 - 09/07/2013
- Shari Frilot, Executive Director Sundance Film Festival- New Frontiers 1/26/2012
Met to explore areas of potential cooperation. Jack Ferraro, Treasuer of Sundance Festival, believes that the two programs can find avenues of cooperation.
01/26/2012 - 01/26/2012
- Reviewer for Spy Hop's grant to the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation. To more fully develop student assessment (evaluation) program. Development of critical media, technology, and 21st century skills that prepares them for higher ed and/or for work in the digital media industry.
09/30/2011 - 09/30/2011
- Utah Indie Games Night. Role: Participant. Story and Games with Tracey Hickman. Scholarly Service.
09/30/2011 - 09/30/2011
- Shanghai Art Museum special opening and reception. VIP designation. One of China's best-known contemporary artists Cai-Guo Qiang solo show at Shanghai Power Station of Art. The Ninth Wave focuses on current global environmental and ecological crises through traditional Chinese aesthetics and philosophy.
08/08/2014 - 08/08/2014
- China Digital Entertainment Expo & Conference (China Joy) at the Shanghai New International Expo Center. Largest gaming and digital entertainment exhibition held in Asia.
08/01/2014 - 08/01/2014
- Open House in Honor of Ted McAleer (outgoing Director of USTAR). USTAR HQ 60 East South Temple, Third Floor SLC, Utah.
03/31/2014 - 03/31/2014
- DreamWorks Animation Studios, Glendale, California. Meeting with the Head of Training.
11/15/2012 - 11/15/2012
- 2012 Sundance Film Festival Business + Technology Connection. Hosts include Utah Governor Gary R. Herbert, Danny Glover, John Warnock (Co-Founder of Adobe), Joseph Gordon-Levitt.
01/26/2012 - 01/26/2012
- FMX 2011 Conference, Stuttgart, Germany. Attendee. Contact with experts from the around the world.
05/02/2011 - 05/06/2011
Honors & Awards
- Computer Animation Festival Committee (SIGGRAPH-Asia 2014). Select international group is chosen. http://sa2014.siggraph.org/en/submitters-computer-animation-festival/computer-animation-festival-committee.html. Two and a half day jurying process in Songjiang, China.
Craig Caldwell, University of Utah
Ethan Chang, DeTao China
Jinny H.J. Choo, ONCOMM & Korea National University of Arts (K'ARTS)
Jianying Gong, China Animation Association
Robin King, DeTao China
Jack Lew, Laguna College of Art & Design
Dan Sarto, Animation World Network
Shuzo John Shiota, Polygon Pictures
- Judge for the Second CCG DeTao Animation Design Competition awarded at the Ninth China International Comics and Games Expo (CCG Expo), Shanghai Convention Center.7/12/2013. http://www.detaoma.net/news/show/1154666 .
CCG DeTao Animation Design Competition,
- FMX: Forum for Innovation. Participation by invitation only. Professionals from different disciplines work through complex issues for new solutions. Topic was “World Building” sponsored by 5D institute (http://5dinstitute.org). FMX-lab purpose was exchange of expertise for pushing world thinking into World Building; prototyping without breaking the design. Facilitated by Paul Tyler, “Handling Ideas”, using physical thinking tools taken from agile design and fast prototyping. Stuttgart, Germany.
FMX: Forum for Innovation,
- Judge for the 1st CCG DeTao Animation Design Competition at CCG (Comics and Games) Expo 2012. http://www.detaoma.cn/Shanghai_CCG/.
CCG DeTao Animation Design Competition,
- Judge for Festival Interncional de Animacion, Mundos Digitales, A Coruna Spain http://www.mundosdigitales.org/en/.
Festival Interncional de Animacion, Mundos Digitales,
- Beijing De Tao “Master” designation, Beijing, China. Nominated with a highly selective process from candidates worldwide. Masters were flown to Beijing for ceremony and to meet George Lee. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beijing_DeTao_Masters_Academy.
De Tao Masters Academy,
- Judge in Concept to Company Contest for expanding Utah's Digital Media Industry. Involved in promoting the contest, review of submissions, and all-day judging of finalists at UVU (2/1/2010) on March 5, 2010 with announcement at PushButton Summit (3/5/2010).
Grow Utah Ventures,
Australian Screen Production Education & Research Association
07/2007 - present
Special Interest Group in Graphics
10/1984 - present
In the Media
- TBS television. Online link. 07/07/2017.
- The Korea Herald. 07/03/2017.
- Dailyhunt news. With stars in their eyes and dreams in their heart, teenagers take over GAFX by Anil Budur Lulla. 05/15/2017.
- Promotional video for FMX, major conference in games and animation. 11/23/2015.
- Animation Magazine report on Siggraph Asia 2014. 12/08/2014.
- Promotion for SIGGRAPH Asia 2014. 11/07/2014.
- Animator Island Interview about animation and story. http://www.animatorisland.com/fmx-2013-ep-2-appealing-characters-stories/
- KSL - U of U's Entertainment Arts gaining steam and recognition. Worked with Amie Parker to provide the information about the program and quotes used in the article. (3 links)
- Interview on CCTV Summit Dialogue, Beijing, China
DeTao Master of Media Arts and Innovative Education Prof. Jack Lew, DeTao Master of Digital Media Arts Prof. Craig Caldwell and China’s young online game entrepreneur Ms. Xu Rong opened an in-depth dialogue in Summit Dialogue on June 15th.
....Prof. Craig Caldwell advocated a sensible use of new media technology and edutainment in rearing children. He opposed restraints on children’s personality development and rigid rules in educating them, encouraging innovative thoughts of children. He also called for parents’ rational guidance and participation in games so that they got on intimate terms with their children. All these contributed to improved child education....
- Daily Utah Chronicle: Video Game field yields artistic entertainment.
...One of the things that makes video games such a special medium when it comes to the realm of artistic expression and audience reception is that they are, by their very nature, interactive experiences. They require the input and participation of the audience to deliver their messages. This is something that professor of computer science Craig Caldwell said is important when it comes to viewing video games as expressions of creativity.
“It’s a collaborative form,” Caldwell said. “Generally, the author or the artist tends to create it and you have a passive viewer that may interact at a lower level. But here you’ve got the audience actually in partnership with the author, completing that experience. So that changes the nature of it, because of how participatory the audience is with that.” ..... 02/03/2012.
- Video Games: Where Technology Meets Art. The Marriott Library has teamed up with faculty from the University of Utah’s Entertainment Arts and Engineering Master Games Studio to present three public lectures during spring semester 2012. The theme for the lecture series is Video Games: Where Technology Meets Art. Combining faculty from The School of Computing and Film and Media Arts, EAE offers undergraduate and graduate emphases in game development and study. Students of the EAE Master Games Studio study and build games that push the state of the art and question how games are made and played. 12/29/2011.
- PushButton Summit pushes the right digital media buttons. The diversity of Utah’s digital media industry cluster was on display when a wide range of students, game developers, educators, government leaders, and industry veterans attended the PushButton Summit hosted by Grow Utah Ventures Oct. 13-14. Participants attended sessions on topics ranging from virtual production, to opportunities “in the cloud,” to funding. Admission also included entrance into The Leonardo and the Gaming & Electronics Expo (GEEX). University of Utah USTAR Professor Craig Caldwell moderated a session exploring how online communities drive game design and content delivery strategies. Multi-user online games have led to the formation of huge numbers of online communities, and leading companies Sony Online Entertainment Studios and Smart Bomb Interactive shared insights on what that means from both the customer and business standpoints. 10/24/2011.
- University of Utah Researchers Create Game to Help Cancer Patients. Researchers at the University of Utah have developed a motion-controlled game that helps children with cancer cope with their illness by promoting good mental health and physical fitness. The game, which was developed by chemistry professor Grzegorz Bulaj, is called PE Interactive (PE stands for "patient empowerment"). 09/27/2011.
Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:01am EDT
New Video Game to Help Kids With Cancer
Even super heroes need a chance to get better, especially if they’ve been fighting their arch-nemesis and a robotic crab that just won’t go away. At least, that’s the premise behind a video game developed at the University of Utah to help children with cancer during their treatment.
In an exciting collaboration between the University of Utah’s Engineering Arts and Entertainment (EAE) program, the university’s departments of pediatrics and medicinal chemistry and Primary Children’s Medical Center, a team of professors and graduate students have created a game that is expected to increase patients’ physical strength and give them a sense of empowerment to help their mental state while fighting their disease. On Friday, Sept. 23, the game was unveiled for use at Primary Children’s Medical Center. 09/26/2011.
- Gazette - News of the University. Game On by Ann Whitney Floor.
Some 21 students are now enrolled in the first year of a new interdisciplinary graduate program to design and build computer games. The three professors you run the Master Game Studio are ecstatic. "The student response has been phenomenal." says Craig Caldwell.... 03/2011.
- Red Thread, University of Utah
Reprinted in FYI http://fyi.utah.edu/date/2011/02/page/2
USTAR Professor in Digital Media Cluster Film Studies
Craig Caldwell, Originally from Griffith University in Brisbane, where he was head of the largest film school in Australia, Craig Caldwell is now at the U as a USTAR professor teaching with Mark Van Langeveld and Roger Altizer in the Master Games Studio, a new interdisciplinary graduate program offered jointly by the departments of film and computer science. In the program, students design and build computer games—one of the fastest growing fields in digital media..... 02/23/2011.
- OndeQuadre (major digital media site based in Torino)
- Contemporary Art (Torino+Piemonte)
- Article in Computer Graphics World Magazine and Online. http://www.cgw.com/Press-Center/News/2010/The-View-2010-Italys-Premiere-Digital-Technology.aspx. 10/04/2010.
- VFX SVERIGE
- C G Record - Computer Graphic Newspaper
- 3D World Magazine, Press Release for View Conference http://www.3dworldmag.com/page/3dworld?entry=view_conference_2010_26_29. 09/2010.