- Western Institute of Nursing. 01/2019 - present. Position : Member.
- Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science. 01/2019 - present. Position : Member.
- International Society for Exposure Science. 01/2018 - present. Position : Member.
- American Academy of Nursing. 10/2017 - present. Position : Fellow.
- Health Information Management Systems Society (HIMMS). 06/2000 - present. Position : Member.
- Utah Nursing Informatics. 06/1998 - present. Position : President.
- American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA) . 06/1997 - present. Position : Member.
- American Nurses Association. 06/1981 - present. Position : Member.
- Sigma Theta Tau International, Gamma Rho chapter. 06/1981 - present. Position : Member.
I view teaching as a co-constructive, collaborative process. I love interacting with students, and find that I learn something new in every class I teach. I enjoy exploring new ideas and the unique perspective each student brings to class. I primarily teach graduate informatics courses, but have also taught nursing PhD quantitative design and statistics. Informatics is both a nursing specialty and a transdisciplinary science, melding perspectives and techniques from diverse disciplines including clinical healthcare, cognitive and behavioral science, computer science, linguistics, and others. This provides a richness to the field that I try to convey to students as they establish a professional identity within informatics. The courses I teach fit with my research in data and knowledge management, decision support systems, clinician interaction with computer systems, and informatics methods and tools that support clinical research. I include a variety of activities, discussions, journaling, and hands on experience in my courses. I prefer to use a "mastery" approach with technology-intensive courses, and use flexible, formative reviews of assignment drafts more often than summative tests. I recognize that students come to my courses with a considerable body of experience and skills, and encourage them to collaborate and share their expertise. I strive to keep courses current, updating content & teaching methods at least yearly. I welcome feedback on my courses, and continue to learn about and implement innovations in teaching/learning theory and practice.
Courses I Teach
Clinical Database Design
Hands-on experience with design and use of clinical databases, focused predominantly on relational database model.
Foundations of Health Informatics
Required course for graduate nursing students.