- Thomas, R., Strekalova-Hughes, E, Nash, K.T., Holley, M., Warner, C.K., Prendergast, P., Ricklefs, M. & Enochs, B. (2022). The learner profiles: Piloting a tool to support contextualized understanding of the learner. Journal of Early Childhood Teacher Education.
- Hollins, E.R. & Warner, C.K. (2021). Evaluating the clinical component of teacher preparation programs. National Academy of Education.
- Benally, C. & Warner, Connor (2021). A review of Indian Education for All: Decolonizing Indigenous Education in Public Schools. Teachers College Record.
- Hollins, E.R. & Warner, C.K. (2021). Rethinking teacher preparation program design. Routledge.
- Warner, C.K. (2020). Exploring candidate interactions with a high stakes teacher performance assessment: the KPTP and the Kansas laboratory. Educational Policy Analysis Archive. Vol. 28.
- Warner, Connor, Bell, C., McHatton, P. & Atiles, J. (2020). Navigating mandates and working toward coherence: Our journey with a high-stakes teacher performance assessment. Education Forum. Vol. 84(3), 226-239.
- Warner, C.K. (2019). Response to Chapter 4: ‘Writing problems and promises in standardized teacher performance assessment’ . Possibilities, challenges, and changes in English teacher education today: Exploring identity and professionalization.
- Atiles, J. & Warner, C.K. (2018). Accountable to many: A call to action for teacher educators. Teacher Education & Practice. Vol. 31, 207-224. Published, 01/2018.
The major themes that tie my practice, teaching, service, and scholarship together are 1) improving the design and implementation of preservice teacher preparation programs and pedagogies, and 2) rethinking P-12 English Language Arts and social studies curricula to be more representative of the diversity of racial, ethnic, cultural, and linguistic peoples of the United States, with a particular emphasize on accurate, contemporary representations of Indigenous peoples.
- Paper presentation (w/ Hollins, E.), Applying professional knowledge to practice: Clinical experiences in academically based teacher preparation. 2022 Association of Teacher Educators Annual Meeting. Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 02/15/2022.
- Paper presentation (w/Peterman, N.), Social media, YA literature, and public intellectualism. 111th Annual Convention of the National Council of Teachers of English. Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 11/2021.
- Presentation, Contextualizing curriculum in difficult spaces. California State Fullerton Antiracism and Education Webinar Series.
- Paper presentation (w/Hollins, E.), Defining academically based teacher preparation: Characteristics and practices. Association of Teacher Educators 2021 Summer Conference. Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 07/2021.
- Paper presentation (w/ Hollins, E.), Evaluation of the clinical component of teacher education programs. In AERA Presidential Session Evaluating and Improving Teacher Preparation Programs. 2021 American Educational Research Association Annual Meeting: Accepting Educational Responsibility. Conference Paper, Presented, 04/2021.
- Paper presentation (w/ Peterman, N.), Conceptualizing public intellectualism for youth audiences: Social media and YA literature in the 21st century. 2021 American Educational Research Association Annual Meeting: Accepting Educational Responsibility. Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 04/2021.
- Presentation (w/Hollins, E.), Evaluating the clinical component of preservice teacher preparation. National Academy of Education’s Evaluating and improving teacher preparation workshop. Conference Paper, Presented, 03/2021.
- Social media and YA literature: Interrogating authorship and intellectualism. Research presentation accepted for the National Council of Teachers of English Annual Convention, Denver, CO. Conference cancelled due to COVID-19 . Conference Paper, Refereed, Other, 11/2020.
- Speaking truth to power: Public intellectualism and YA social media. Research presentation at the Summit on the Research and Teaching of Young Adult Literature, Las Vegas, NV.
Conference Paper, Refereed,
- The charge for the future of teacher preparation: Identifying enduring problems and seeking meaningful solutions. Keynote presented at the 1st annual Cal State LA online education research summit: Resolving dilemmas in application to practice in teaching and teacher preparation. Los Angeles, CA.
- “Looks pretty bad for the brand”: YA authors, Twitter, and the challenge of public intellectualism. Paper accepted for presentation at the American Educational Research Association Annual Meeting. San Francisco, CA. Conference cancelled due to COVID-19. Conference Paper, Refereed, Other, 04/2020.
- Field experience in pre-service teacher education: the interplay of belief, identity, & community. Research presented at the University of Utah Learning & Cognition Seminar Series. Salt Lake City, UT. Presentation, Presented, 11/2019.
- Indigenous representation in K-12 curricula. Presentation at the KU Powwow and Indigenous Cultures Festival. Lawrence, KS.
- Northern America