Assistant Professor, Biology
- Anderegg, W.R.L. (2018) Quantifying seasonal and diurnal variation of stomatal behavior in a hydraulic-based stomatal optimization model. Journal of Plant Hydraulics. 5, e001. doi.org/10.20870/jph.2018.e001.
- Venturas, M., J. Sperry, D. Love, E. Frehner, M. Allred, Y. Wang, and W.R.L. Anderegg (2018). A stomatal control model based on optimization of carbon gain versus hydraulic risk predicts aspen sapling responses to drought. New Phytologist. doi: 10.1111/nph.15333.
- Trugman, A.T., M. Detto, M. K. Bartlett, D. Medvigy, W.R.L. Anderegg, C. Schwalm, B. Schaffer, and S. Pacala (2018). Tree carbon allocation explains forest drought-kill and recovery patterns. Ecology Letters. 21: 1552-1560.
- Stuart-Haëntjens, E., H.J. De Boeck, N.P. Lemoine, P. Mänd, G. Kröel-Dulay, I.K. Schmidt, A. Jentsch, A. Stampfli, W.R.L. Anderegg, M. Bahn, J. Kreyling, T. Wohlgemuth, F. Lloret, A.T. Classen, C.M. Gough, and M.D. Smith (2018). Mean annual precipitation predicts primary production resistance and resilience to extreme drought. Science of the Total Environment. 636: 360-366.
- Anderegg, W.R.L., A.G. Konings, A.T. Trugman, K. Yu, D.R. Bowling, R. Gabbitas, D. Karp, S. Pacala, J.S. Sperry, B. Sulman, N. Zenes (2018). Hydraulic diversity of forests regulates ecosystem resilience during drought. Nature. 561: 538–541 - Reported by Scientific American; Featured by the UN Office for Disaster Risk Reduction.
- Liu, Z., A.P. Ballantyne, B. Poulter, W.R.L. Anderegg, W. Li, A. Bastos, and P. Ciais (2018). Precipitation thresholds regulate net carbon exchange at the continental scale. Nature Communications. 9: 3596.
- Tai X., D.S. Mackay, J. Sperry, P. Brooks, W.R.L. Anderegg, L.B. Flanagan, S.B. Rood, and C. Hopkinson (2018). Distributed plant hydraulic and hydrological modeling to understand the susceptibility of riparian woodland trees to drought-induced mortality. Water Resources Research. 54: 4901-4915.
- Trugman, A.T., D. Medvigy, J. Mankin, and W.R.L. Anderegg (2018). Soil moisture stress as a major driver of carbon cycle uncertainty. Geophysical Research Letters. doi.org/10.1029/2018GL078131.
- Yu, K., D. Carr, W.R.L. Anderegg, K. Tully, P. D’Odorico (2018). Response of a facultative CAM plant and its competitive relationship with a grass to changes in rainfall regime. Plant and Soil. 2: 321-333.
- Hartmann, H., C. Moura, W.R.L. Anderegg, and 14 others (2018). Research frontiers for improving our understanding of drought-induced tree and forest mortality. New Phytologist. 218: 15-28.
- Bowling, D., B.A Logan, K. Hufkens, D.M Aubrecht, A.D Richardson, S.P Burns, W.R.L. Anderegg, P.D Blanken and D. Eiriksson (2018). Limitations to winter and spring photosynthesis of a Rocky Mountain subalpine forest. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology. 252: 241-255.
- Anderegg, W.R.L., A. Wolf, A. Arango-Velez, B. Choat, D.J. Chmura, S. Jansen, T. Kolb, S. Li, F. Meinzer, P. Pita, V. Resco de Dios, J.S. Sperry, B.T. Wolfe, and S.W. Pacala (2018). Woody plants optimise stomatal behaviour relative to hydraulic risk. Ecology Letters. 21: 968-977.
- Klein, T., M. Zeppel, W.R.L. Anderegg, J. Bloemen, M. De Kauwe, P. Hudson, N. Ruehr, T. Powell, G. von Arx, and A. Nardini (2018). Embolism refilling and resilience against drought-induced mortality: Processes, trade-offs and life history strategies. Ecological Research. doi: 10.1007/s11284-018-1588y.
- Trugman, A.T., D. Medvigy, W.R.L. Anderegg, and S. Pacala (2018). Differential declines in Alaskan boreal forest vitality related to atmospheric drought stress. Global Change Biology. DOI: 10.1111/gcb.13952.
- Truetter, C., W.R.L. Anderegg, F. Biondi, G.W. Koch, K. Ogle, C. Schwalm, M.E. Litvak, J.D. Shaw, and E. Ziaco. Seasonal Climate Responses and Drought Legacy Effects in Tree-Ring Chronologies from the Southwestern USA (2018). Forest Ecology and Management. doi: 10.1016/j.foreco.2018.01.044.
- Hartmann, H., B. Schuldt, T.G. Sanders, C. Macinnis‐Ng, H.J. Boehmer, C.D. Allen, A. Bolte, T. Crowther, M.C. Hansen, B.E. Medlyn, N.K. Ruehr, and W.R.L. Anderegg (2018). Monitoring global tree mortality patterns and trends. Report from the VW symposium ‘Crossing scales and disciplines to identify global trends of tree mortality as indicators of forest health’. New Phytologist, 217: 984-987.
- Pellegrini, A.F.A., A. Ahström, S. E. Hobbie, P. B. Reich, L. Nieradzik, K. M. Robertson, A. C. Staver, B. Scharenbroch, A. Jumpponen, W.R.L. Anderegg, J. Randerson, and R.B. Jackson (2018). Fire frequency drives decadal changes in soil carbon and nitrogen and ecosystem productivity. Nature. 553: 194–198.
- Cobb, R., K. Ruthrof, D. Breshears. F. Lloret, T. Aakala, H.D. Adams, C.D. Allen, W.R.L. Anderegg, and 15 other authors (2017). Ecosystem Dynamics and Management After Forest Die-off: A Global Synthesis with Conceptual State-and-Transition Models. Ecosphere. 8: e02034.
- Li, Y., K. Guan, P. Gentine, A.G. Konings, F.C. Meinzer, J.S. Kimball, X. Xu, W.R. L. Anderegg, N.G. McDowell, J. Martínez-Vilalta, D.G. Long, and S.P. Good (2017). Estimating global ecosystem iso/anisohydry using active and passive microwave satellite data. Journal of Geophysical Research – Biogeosciences. 122: 3306–3321.
- Anderegg, W.R.L., A. Wolf, A. Arango-Velez, B. Choat, D.J. Chmura, S. Jansen, T. Kolb, S. Li, F. Meinzer, P. Pita, V. Resco de Dios, J.S. Sperry, B.T. Wolfe, and S.W. Pacala (2017). Plant water potential improves prediction of empirical stomatal models. PLoS ONE. e0185481: doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0185481.
- Fisher, R.A., C.D. Koven, W.R.L. Anderegg, BO Christoffersen, MC Dietze, C Farrior, J Holm, G Hurtt, RG Knox, PJ Lawrence, JW Lichststein, M Longo, A Matheny, D Medvigy, H Muller-Landau, TL Powell, SP Serbin, H Sato, J Shuman, B Smith, AT Trugman, T Viskari, H Verbeeck, E Weng, C Xu, X Xu, T Zhang and P Moorcroft (2018). Vegetation Demographics in Earth System Models: a review of progress and priorities. Global Change Biology. 34: 35-54.
- C.R. Schwalm, W.R.L. Anderegg, A.M. Michalak, F. Biondi, G. Koch, M. Litvak, K. Ogle, J.D. Shaw, A. Wolf, D.N. Huntzinger, K. Schaefer, J.B. Fisher, R. Cook, Y. Wei, Y. Fang, A. Jain, D. Hayes, M. Huang, and H. Tian (2017). Global patterns of drought recovery. Nature. 548: 202–205 - Reported by: Reuters, Pacific Standard; Highlighted in Nature News & Views.
- H.D. Adams, M.J.B. Zeppel, W.R.L. Anderegg, Henrik Hartmann, and 48 others (2017). A multi-species synthesis of physiological mechanisms in drought-induced tree mortality. Nature Ecology & Evolution. 1: 1285–1291.
- Tai, X., D.S. Mackay, W.R.L. Anderegg, J.S. Sperry, P.D. Brooks (2017). Plant hydraulics improves and topography mediates prediction of aspen mortality in southwestern USA. New Phytologist. 213: 113–127.
- Pellegrini, A.F.A., W.R.L. Anderegg, C.E.T. Paine, W.A. Hoffmann, T. Kartzinel, S. Rabin, D. Sheil, A.C. Franco, and S.W. Pacala (2017). Convergence of bark investment according to fire and climate structures ecosystem vulnerability to future change. Ecology Letters. 20: 307–316 - Highlighted in Nature research highlights section.
- Ballantyne, A.P., W.K. Smith, W.R.L. Anderegg, P. Kauppi, J. Sarmiento, P.P. Tans, E. Shevliakova, Y. Pan, B. Poulter, A. Anav, P. Friedlingstein, R.A. Houghton, S . Running (2017) Accelerating net terrestrial carbon uptake during warming hiatus due to reduced respiration. Nature Climate Change. 7: 148-152.
- Wolf, A., W.R.L. Anderegg, and S.W. Pacala (2016). Optimal stomatal behavior with competition for water and risk of hydraulic impairment. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 113: E7222-E7230.
- Sperry, J.S., Y. Wang, B. Wolfe, D.S. Mackay, W.R.L. Anderegg, N.G. McDowell, and W.T. Pockman (2016). Pragmatic hydraulic theory predicts stomatal responses to climatic water deficits. New Phytologist. 212: 577–589.
- Sperry, J.S., Y. Wang, W.R.L. Anderegg, M. Mencuccinni, D.S. Mackay, M. Venturas, and D. Love (2017). Predicting stomatal responses to the environment from the optimization of photosynthetic gain and hydraulic cost. Plant, Cell & Environment. 40: 816–830.
- Gazol, A., J.J. Camarero, W.R.L. Anderegg, and S.M. Vincente-Serrano (2017). Impacts of droughts on the growth resilience of Northern Hemisphere forests. Global Ecology and Biogeography. 26: 166–176.
- Anderegg, W.R.L., T. Klein, M. Bartlett, L. Sack, A. Pellegrini, B. Choat, S. Jansen (2016). Meta-analysis reveals that hydraulic traits explain cross-species patterns of drought-induced tree mortality across the globe. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 113: 5024-5029.
- Anderegg, W.R.L., J. Martinez-Vilalta, M. Cailleret, J.J. Camarero, B. Ewers, D. Galbraith, A. Gessler, R. Grote, C.Y. Huang, S. Levick, T.L. Powell, L. Rowland, R. Sánchez-Salguero, V. Trotsiuk (2016). When a tree dies in the forest: Scaling climate-driven tree mortality to ecosystem fluxes. Ecosystems. 19: 1133–1147.
- Cook, J., N. Oreskes, P.T. Doran, W.R.L. Anderegg, B. Verheggen,
E. Maibach, J.S. Carlton, S. Lewandowsky, A.G. Skuce, S.A. Green, D. Nuccitelli, P. Jacobs, M. Richardson, B. Winkler, R. Painting and K. Rice (2016). Consensus on consensus: a synthesis of consensus estimates on human-caused global warming. Environmental Research Letters 11: 048002-9 - Reported by: Washington Post, the Guardian, Grist, top-read post on Reddit.
- Smith, W.K., S.C. Reed, A.P. Ballantyne, C.C. Cleveland, W.R.L. Anderegg, W.R. Wieder , S.W. Running (2016). Large divergence of satellite and Earth system model estimates of global terrestrial CO2 fertilization. Nature Climate Change. 6: 306-310.
- Predicting multi-scale forest responses to drought. Invited Speaker at the Program in Ecology, Duke University.
- Linking stomata and plant hydraulics to predict forest responses to drought. Invited Presentation at Gordon Research Conference: Multiscale Vascular Plant Biology, Mount Snow, VT.
- Quantifying carbon turnover time in forest inventory, satellite, and Earth system model data. Invited presentation at the European Geophysical Union annual meeting.
- Optimal stomatal control aims to manage hydraulic damage. Invited presentation at the American Geophysical Union annual meeting.
- Can plant diversity buffer ecosystem response to drought? Invited presentation at the American Geophysical Union annual meeting.
- Forest hydraulic diversity and climate change. Invited Keynote at the Inauguration of the Swiss Forest Lab, Zurich, Switzerland.
- Linking stomata and plant hydraulics to predict plant responses to drought. Invited Presentation at the New Phytologist Next Generation Plant Scientists Symposium, Norwich, UK.
- Towards a global forest mortality monitoring network: Lessons from physiology. Invited Keynote at the Voltzwagen Foundation Mortality Symposium, Hanover, Germany.
- Global determinants of forest recovery from drought. Invited presentation at the American Geophysical Union annual meeting.
- Meta-analysis reveals that hydraulic traits explain drought-induced mortality across the globe. Invited presentation at the American Geophysical Union annual meeting.