Group & Family TherapyLocation: CNB 2400 (CNB 2400)
PMHNP Practicum IIILocation: CNB 2400 (CNB 2400)
- National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties. 08/01/2019 - present. Position : Member.
- American Academy of Health Sciences. 03/19/2019 - present. Position : Member.
- American Psychiatric Nurses Association, Utah Chapter. 01/01/2018 - present. Position : Member.
- Neuroscience Educational Institute. 06/2014 - present. Position : Member.
- American Psychiatric Nurses Association. 06/2013 - present. Position : Member.
- Sigma Theta Tau. 04/1995 - present. Position : Member.
- South Jordan Health Center, Behavioral Health Dept. College of Nursing. 07/30/2012 - present .
- Silver Hill Hospital, New Canaan, CT. Co-director Eating Disorders Partial Hospital Program. Met Life, Westport, CT. Lead Psychiatric Case Manager, NYNEX(Verizon) Graduate Teaching Fellowship Award, University of Connectiuct, (1998 - 2001), Adjunct Faculty, Undergraduate Psychiatric Mental Health program. Adjunct Faculty, University of Connecticut, Mental Health Across the Lifespan for Masters Entry into Nursing Program. Sheila Deyette, PhD APRN, LLC - Private Practice, Ridgefield, CT (17 yrs) UHC, South Jordan Health Center & Redwood Clinic. University of Utah, Outpatient Behavioral Health Clinic - South Jordan. College of Nursing. 03/1992 - present .
- Unlike other health care clinical specialties, UHC does not survey patients receiving behavioral health care in their outpatient clinics. However, handwritten notecards and patient's emails express appreciation and positive comments about their experience in the therapeutic relationship. I have practiced as an APPN for 23 years, a practice built on providing person-centered and psychodynamic psychotherapy. I am grateful for the numerous cards, notes and letters collected over the years. 06/1996.
My teaching and practice philosophy is grounded in phenomenology, humanistic-existential nursing theories, and qualitative research methodology. I value the gestalt of human being and becoming. As both teacher and psychotherapist, I believe in the inspiration and power of caring and human connection. The value of being fully present, attuned, and authentic with both patients and students cannot be overstated. Expertise in teaching the theoretical foundations of advanced practice psychiatric-mental health nursing and the core concepts and skills essential to practice psychotherapy comes from 25 years treating patients, maintaining board certification, and continuing education.
DNP-PMHNP Practicum I
The first of three successive clinical practicum courses of which the objectives are to teach graduate PMHNP students the core competencies necessary to conduct psychotherapy as novice APPN psychotherapists.
DNP-PMHNP Practicum II
The second of three successive clinical practicum courses of which the objectives are to teach graduate PMHNP students the core competencies necessary to conduct psychotherapy as novice APPN psychotherapists. Building on PMH nursing, phenomenological inquiry and person-centered models, students develop their therapeutic communication skills, case formulation and begin to integrate attachment theory and use of schemas to facilitate patient's healing process.
DNP-PMHNP Practicum III
The third in a series of six clinical courses, this course emphasizes how to hypothesize and write a psychodynamic case formulation, and the implementation of person-centered, supportive and cognitive-based therapeutic interventions.
Foundations in Individual Psychotherapy
Initial psychiatric assessment and interview; introduction to the DSM 5 ; introduction to the major models of individual psychotherapy and interpersonal therapeutic skills of the advance practice nurse psychotherapist
- Assisted in development of Simulation Lab curriculum and student learning activities for the new DNP Psychiatric Mental Health Specialty track with leader, Dr. Ann Hutton. In the NURS 6300 course, DNP students begin to practice intake, assessment and the basic interpersonal skills of the advanced practice nurse psychotherapist. 08/2015 - 12/2015