My interests intersect library and information science education with the arts. I am interested in exploring visual literacy, visual communication, and interdisciplinary applications of the arts. Also, the use of the arts (works of art, artifacts, performances, and the application of artistic skills) in instruction and classroom environments and other non-arts settings. In addition, the benefits, uses and challenges of the digital preservation of the arts.
- Visual Communication
- Information Visualization
- Digital scholarship
- Data Visualization
- "The Game of Life: Intersections of Video Games and the Human Experience". Book and media exhibition at the J. Willard Marriott Library, University of Utah. Salt Lake City, UT.
- Greg Hatch and Adriana Parker. "Libros Latinos". J. Willard Marriott Library, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT. Book exhibition curated from the Katherine W. Dumke Fine Arts & Architecture Library's Latin American Avant-Garde collection and Cuban artists' books. Exhibition, completed 04/2015.
- Greg Hatch. "Visual Literacy: Putting Guidelines into Practice. Art Libraries Society of North America (ARLIS/NA) Conference, Washington, D.C. Conference Paper, Presented, 05/2014.
- Greg Hatch. "Visual Browsing: Graphic Interpretation of Library of Congress Classification." ARLIS/NA Conference, Washington, D.C. Poster, Presented, 05/2014.
- Dramaturg and moderator of post-show discussion for Pioneer Theatre Company's (Salt Lake City, UT) production of "Alabama Story". Panel, Presented, 01/2015.
- Greg Hatch. "ALA’s Library Bill of Rights, Freedom of Information, and George Orwell’s ‘Animal Farm’." Pre-show lecture for University of Utah's Department of Theatre production of "Animal Farm". Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 10/04/2015.
- Luke Leither, Erin Carraher, and Greg Hatch. "Design-Model Build: Interdisciplinary Partnership with Real-World Impact." Association of Architecture School Librarians Conference, Seattle, WA.
- Greg Hatch and Rebekah Cummings. "ProtoSpace: Re-envisioning the Academic Library: a pre-conference tour and discussion." Pre-conference. American Library Association (ALA) CORE Forum. Salt Lake City, UT. October 2022. Other, Submitted, 05/2022.
- Greg Hatch. "Planning and Productivity in a Virtual Reality Sandbox." Poster. American Library Association (ALA) CORE Forum. Salt Lake City, UT. October 2022. Poster, Submitted, 05/2022.
- Greg Hatch, Kate Cunningham, and Kim Collins. "DataVisuAcumen: Enhance Your Skill Set and Impress Your Peers!" Art Libraries Society of North America (ARLIS/NA) Conference, Chicago, IL. April 2022.
- Greg Hatch. "Pandemic Productivity: VR Applications in Library Settings." Art Libraries Society of North America (ARLIS/NA) Conference, Chicago, IL. April 2022.
- Greg Hatch, Anthony Sams, Luke Leither, and TJ Ferrill. "I 'heart' VR: Socially Connected, Physically Distant." Utah Library Association Virtual Conference, May 2021.
- Christy Caldwell, David Carter, Anne Morrow, and Greg Hatch. "Next Gen Games: Best Practices to Support Game Design and Game Studies." Association of College and Research Libraries Virtual Conference, April 2021. (38% acceptance rate).
Conference Paper, Refereed,
- Greg Hatch. "Global Arts, Local Access." Student Affairs Diversity Council Continuing Education Series, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT. May 2019. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 05/15/2019.
- Tallie Casucci, Anne Morrow, Greg Hatch, Roger Altizer, Christy Jarvis, and Nancy Lombardo. "Leveling Up Library Support for a Games Studies Program." Utah Library Association, Provo, UT. May 2018.
- Greg Hatch and Thomas Ferrill. "Through the Rift: Library Explorations with Interactive Media." Utah Library Association. Sandy, UT.
- Rebekah Cummings and Greg Hatch. "Why Digital Matters: Cooperative Scholarship at the University of Utah." Utah Library Association. Sandy, UT.
- Greg Hatch, Linda Knox, and Jenne McCabe Klotz. "Catalysts for Creative Collaboration: Incorporating Libraries and Librarians into Transdisciplinary Scholarship."Alliance for the Arts in Research Universities (a2ru) Conference. Denver, CO.
- Greg Hatch and Catherine Soehner. "The Comeback: A Library Celebration of Faculty Achievement." Presenter, with Catherine Soehner. Utah Library Association Conference. Layton, UT.
- Spanish, functional.
- William Shane Wallace, Greg Hatch & Catherine Soehner (2021). "CelebrateU: Measuring the impact of a library-hosted showcase event". The Journal of Academic Librarianship. Vol. 47(5).
- Brandon Patterson, Tallie Casucci, Thomas Ferrill, and Greg Hatch. “Play, Education, Research: Exploring Virtual Reality through Libraries.” In Beyond Reality: Augmented, Virtual, and Mixed Reality in the Library, edited by Ken Varnum, ALA Editions, 2019, pp. 47-56.
- Greg Hatch & Nicole Beatty, Chloe Barnett, Jillian McCleary, Christiane Ramsey, Peggy Keeran, and Luke Leither (2018). "Arts: In/Site". n.p. Published, 02/20/2018.
- Greg Hatch (2011). "Ghost of a Writer: a Review of ‘This Is: Tennessee Williams & Friends: A Centennial Exhibition’". Vol. 23(3). Broadside: Newsletter of the Theatre Library Association.
- Greg Hatch (2010). "Enter the King". Saint John’s [University Alumni] Magazine.
- Greg Hatch (2006). "SR Visits: Family History Library of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints". Serials Review. Vol. 23(2).
- Ehrman, D., Hatch, G. & Woodward, S. (2005). “Ghost Ranch, or How I Learned to Stop Whining and Love Leadership.” Utah Libraries News, 3. Published, 03/2005.