Professor, Sociology Department
- University of Ghent.
Chair of External Research Review for the Department of Sociology.
03/01/2014 - 05/01/2014
- Political Economy of the World System Section, American Sociological Association.
Role: Chair (elected).
Oversee section affairs, including role and presence in the annual meeting of the ASA.
08/10/2013 - 08/10/2014
- Community and Urban Sociology Section, American Sociological Association.
Awards Committee; Helen and Robert Lynd Lifetime Achievement Award.
09/22/2010 - 08/22/2011
- American Sociological Association.
Role: Presider, Organizer.
08/15/2010 - 08/15/2010
- Urban Studies (journal).
Role: North American Editor: Oversee evaluation, review, and final dispensation of 100 article manuscripts per year.
North American Editor.
05/01/2005 - 12/31/2016
- Graduate Committee.
08/2013 - 08/2014.
- RPT Policy Committee.
08/2013 - 08/2014.
- Research Award Committee.
08/2013 - 05/2014.
- Interim Chair. Is this "service"?
07/01/2011 - present.
- Revising University Policy.
09/17/2009 - 09/28/2010.
- Board of Directors, Utahans Against Hunger.
09/17/2010 - present
Honors & Awards
- Visiting Research Professor.
Department of Geography, University of Ghent,
- Elected Section Chair.
Political Economy of the World-System Section, American Sociological Association,
- Keynote lecture, "Global Cities with Chinese Characteristics".
School of Public Policy, Sun Yat-sen University,
- Guest Professor.
China Normal University, Cultural Studies Faculty,
- Delivered 11th Annual Lecture of Globalization and World City Network, Loughborough University, Loughborough, England.
Globalization and World City Network (GaWC),
- Visiting research fellow. Spring 2009.
Department of Geography, Universiteit Gent,
- Urban Studies Fellow, Fall, 2008-9, Department of Geographic and Earth Sciences, University of Glasgow (Scotland).
Urban Studies Fellow,
Society for the Study of Social Problems
02/01/2016 - present
International Sociological Association
08/1992 - present
American Sociological Association
08/1976 - present