- KINES 4810-001
- KINES 4920-005
- Director, PEAK Health and Fitness (May 2001-present)
University of Utah
Direct University Employee Fitness Program
• 40+ classes (450+ participants) per semester
• Train, mentor and evaluate fitness instructors/ personal trainers
• Partner with University Wellness Programs (WellU/WellnessNOW)
• Promote classes
• Develop and update website
• Improve the health and wellness of University employees
• Instruct Practicum in Fitness Leadership
• Provide practical training and education for future health and fitness professionals
• Fully supports 6-8 COH graduate student assistantships each year
Operate Health and Fitness Testing
• Train and supervise testing personnel
• Fund new equipment for Human Performance Lab
• Initiated PEAK research awards contributing funding for graduate student research
Coordinate PEAK Nutrition Services
• Supervise Registered Dietitian and advanced practice nutrition students
• Arrange nutrition seminars, workshops, and classes.
- Academy of Health Science Educators. 04/14/2015 - present. Position : Fellow.
- American College of Sport Medicine. 05/2001 - present. Position : Member.
- National Strength and Conditioning Association. 05/2001 - present. Position : Member.
- “PEAK has given me opportunities like no other college experience I have had. It has given me the opportunity to learn and grow in my field in a non-competitive or judgmental environment. I have found this to be some of the best preparation for my future thus far. It provides a great freedom in developing teaching styles and techniques. The feedback from instructors and participants is constructive and helpful and is more formal than I would have received in the workforce and I think I am most grateful for that. I am so grateful for PEAK; cherry on top of my education at the University of Utah.” Aubri Goodfellow, former student . 05/2015.
- “PEAK Health and Fitness has so much to offer the students and staff at the University of Utah. Since I was an Exercise Sport Science major, I got the opportunity to work with PEAK and loved every minute of it. The staff at PEAK is great to work with and the program they have helps so many people stay active. PEAK is a wonderful resource and I wouldn't have gained the hands on experience I did, while working on my degree, without them!” Amber Hills-Martin, former student . 04/2015.
- “In sum, the PEAK staff has created a program that builds personal and job confidence and skills, creatively and in a supportive environment. I have watched PEAK student-instructors first-hand and close-up. The consistent growth and development of these students over the years is not an accident. The PEAK culture has been carefully and creatively developed, maintained and sustained, even in the worst budget years.” J. Steven Ott, Social and Behavioral Sciences Dean . 01/2015.
- “I can honestly say that PEAK gave me the most applicable knowledge, and experience to prepare me for work force. If you are being educated on how to teach health & fitness, you should have experience with actually TEACHING health & fitness. It was incredibly important for me to learn how to interact with participants/clients, and find confidence in myself with what I was teaching; my PEAK experience helped me find that. I have been graduated from the U for almost 3 years, and currently working at the University of Utah hospital as an Exercise Specialist. I am eligible for the Employee benefit and decided to sign up for a PEAK fitness class myself. I know how much work goes into preparing those classes, and how thorough Traci is with preparing students to teach classes. I have now been on the student side and the participant side and it's obvious that PEAK Health and Fitness is VITAL to the educational mission of the ESS department.” Elizabeth Featherstone (former student) . 12/2014.
I believe that giving students the freedom to practice the skills and theories they have learned in the classroom can have a defining and empowering effect on their intellectual growth, their professional development, and their path in life. My instructional goal is to create an engaging, student-centered learning environment.
Provides students with capstone fitness leadership experience. Under the supervision of a university coordinator and a field supervisor, students will be immersed in the day-to-day challenges and responsibilities of a practicing fitness leader. In addition to their programming responsibilities, students will be asked to relfect upon their experiences and chronicle their experiences in journals.