Associate Chair for Academic Affairs, Film & Media Arts Department
Director of Graduate Studies, Film & Media Arts Department
Affiliated Faculty, Center for Research on Migration and Refugee Integration, 2017 to date, College Of Health
Affiliated Associate Professor, Middle East Center, Middle East Studies Program
Professor, Film & Media Arts Department
Affiliated Associate Professor, Asian Studies Program
- Society for Cinema and Media Studies.
Role: Best student essay Award juror.
Best student essay Award juror.
01/2020 - 03/2020
- University Film and Video Association .
Juror, Short Narrative Screenings, for Conferences, Los Angeles, August, 2017 and Las Cruces, 20i8.
05/2017 - 06/2018
- Red Sea Institute for the Cinematic Arts.
Consulted on organization of the program of Study for newly-created state-of-the-art institution in Jordan.
01/2008 - 04/2010
- Journal of Medical Humanities.
Member, Editorial Board.
09/2007 - 08/2015
- Facilitator and discussion leader, Tournées Film Festival. 6-film series on-line film series, in collaboration with the Office for Global Engagement and the Department of Languages and World Cultures, January-March, 2021.
01/2021 - 03/2021.
- Chair, Screenwriting position Search Committee, 2020 (hired Hubbell Palmer).
01/2020 - 12/2020.
- Organizer/Discussant, Film series, Fall Semester 2109. (3 evening events with two guest filmmakers and my own
presentation) Center for Research on Migration and Refugee Integration at the University of Utah in
collaboration with Departments of Public Health and Social Work)
09/2019 - 11/2019.
- Facilitator, Heena Patel, “Misogyny in Bollywood Film” (lecture), February, 2019.
01/2019 - 02/2019.
- Dee Grants Fellow, Fall 2105-Summer 2018; Chair, 2017-2018.
09/2015 - 06/2018.
- Chair, RPT Committee, Fall 2015 to July 2017.
08/2015 - 07/2017.
- Member, New media and film Position Search Committee, 2015.
12/2014 - 04/2015.
- Member, ad hoc committee to write job description for new hire, October, 2014.
09/2014 - 11/2014.
- Member, Creative and Scholarly Grant Committee (incorporating Research in Progress Grants assessment), 2014.
03/2014 - 04/2014.
- Director of Graduate Studies, February 2007-February 2010, April 2013 to July 2017; May 2018 to date.
04/2013 - present.
- Member, Creative and Scholarly Grant Committee, 2013.
01/2013 - 01/2013.
- FMAD Screendance coordinator, Fall 2012 to date.
08/2012 - present.
- Advisor to the Middle East Center on film programs.
08/25/2010 - present.
- Graduate Council (Lead reviewer for Political Science, Linguistics, Social Work, Exercise and Sports Science, Special Education, Medicinal Chemistry).
07/01/2008 - 06/30/2012.
- British Studies interdisciplinary Degree Board (and Fine Arts representative).
04/2008 - 05/2015.
- Curriculum Committee.
01/10/2008 - 05/2013.
- ASUU Childcare Advisory Board.
09/2007 - 09/2010.
- Curriculum Committee.
08/2007 - 05/2013.
- Fine Arts Institute Scholarship Committee.
03/2007 - 09/2007.
- Chair, Animation Position Search Committee, 2007.
01/2007 - 06/2007.
- Student Affairs Committee (COSA).
08/2005 - 08/2008.
- Graduate Selection Committee, 2004 to date.
01/2004 - present.
- Chair, Emma Eccles Jones Fine Arts House Committee, 2003-2006; Member from 2002.
Member, then chair,
01/2003 - 06/2006.
- Member, Fine Arts Fees Committee.
09/2002 - 05/2005.
- Screener/Programmer, Czech That Film Festival, Salt Lake Film Society. Broadway Cinema, April, 2015-2016, 2019. (No event in 2020 ore 2021 due to COVID restricitons).
02/2015 - present
Honors & Awards
- College of Fine Arts Distinguished Teaching Award, October, 2014.
College of Fine Arts,
- Distinguished Teaching Award (selected by students).
University of Utah Honors Program ,
In the Media
- Interview with Doug Fabrizio (KUER/ Radio West) re Birth of a Nation and Rebirth of a Nation, prior to DJ Spooky's appearance at Kingsbury Hall.
- Interviewed by Mary Dickson for KUED’s Contact regarding 2015, Global Lens Film Series, September 2015. 09/2015.
- Interviewed by Mary Dickson for KUED’s Contact regarding 2014, Global Lens Film Series, September 2014. 09/2014.
- Interviewed by Mary Dickson for KUED’s Contact regarding Mira Nair’s campus visit, March, 2013. 03/2013.