I continue to produce films across the fine arts disciplines with colleagues and former students, producing and shooting Crossroads and Candlelight, a film about the recently closed Trappist monastery in norther Utah, with Steve Petersen and Connie Wilkerson.
I am finishing a 16mm film of my own and I have a screenplay and a short film in development.
- Narrative Film
- Film or Cinema or Video
- Traverse, (as Executive Producer [and primary investigator, U of U creative grant]) a 30 minute documentary about the Dee Fellowship project listed above (and below) Traverse premiered in Salt Lake City at the Rose Wagner Theater in conjunction with a program of dance by the choreographer and dancers involved in both the film and the original Dee Fellowship project, July 1, 2022. Featured in the Wild & Scenic Film Festival, Grass Valley and Nevada City, CA, February 2023 Media Arts, refereed, completed 07/01/2022.
- Burns in the River, (as Filmmaker) 4 minutes, 30 seconds, a music video finished in January of 2020 for musician Alexander Ortega, Exhibited: Berlin Shorts, Best Music Video, March 2021; Niagara Falls International Short Festival, Best Music Video, March 21; featured at Phoenix Shorts, Ottawa, Ontario, February 2021 https://vimeo.com/363496303 password WestOgden Media Arts, refereed, completed 01/07/2020.
- Producer and Director of Additional Photography for the film, Monastery, by director Steve Lawrence Peterson. Shot 11 hours of new footage for and updated version of the 1998 film on the occasion of the recent closing of the Trappist Monastery in Huntsville Utah (2017). Media Arts, in progress 12/31/2018.
- Ibex Well, (as Filmmaker) 4 minutes, 30 seconds, short film, an early version premiered on February 16, 2017, at the Utah Museum of Fine Arts as part of the Artlandish series investigating art and landscape, an evening long event celebrating Traverse, a Dee Fellowship project. Ibex Well premiered as a stand alone film at 12 minutes max at the Salt Lake City Public Library August 20, 2017. Exhibited: (in the dance category) at the prestigious Encuentro para Cinéfagos: Film-Art Festival on the Border, September 21 to 26, 2020, in the cities of San Cristóbal-Venezuela and Cúcuta-Colombia; Phoenix Shorts, Best Dance Video, Ottawa, Ontario, February 2021 https://vimeo.com/207888954 password: west-desert Media Arts, refereed, completed 02/16/2017.
- The Art House Interviews, (collaboration with Professor Sarah Sinwell) 12+ hours of interviews with giants of the US Art house movement including 2017's AH Convergence lifetime achievement award winner Ira Deutchman. Filmed January 16 through 19, 2017 at the 10th annual Art House Convergence in Midway UT. These interviews will make up a video data base available to contributors to two special editions of The Projector: A Journal on Film, Media, and Culture, Guest Editor Sarah Sinwell (to publish in the next two years.) - project to continue in future year and may yield other media - - See: Excavating Brick and Mortar: Reinvestigating the Art House in the Digital Age, Sarah E. S. Sinwell https://www.theprojectorjournal.com/sinwell.html Media Arts, in progress 01/16/2017.
- ibex well (film) Exhibited: (in the dance category) at the prestigious Encuentro para Cinéfagos: Film-Art Festival on the Border, September 21 to 26, 2020, in the cities of San Cristóbal-Venezuela and Cúcuta-Colombia. Presentation, Other, 09/20/2021.
- Burns in the River (film) Exhibited: Berlin Shorts, Best Music Video, March 2021. Presentation, Presented, 03/31/2021.
- Burns in the River (film) Niagara Falls International Short Festival, Best Music Video, March 21. Presentation, Presented, 03/17/2021.
- ibex well (film) Phoenix Shorts, Best Dance Video, Ottawa, Ontario, February 2021. Presentation, Presented, 02/28/2021.
- Burns in the River (film) Phoenix Shorts, Ottawa, Ontario, February 2021, . Presentation, Presented, 02/28/2021.
- Exhibited Ibex Well, a short film, and discussed the research leading to its creation in an invited presentation for the 12 Minutes Max series at the Salt Lake City Public Library. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 08/20/2017.
- Hosted, by invitation, the Utah Museum of Fine Arts opening 2017 show in their “Artlandish” series, investigating Art & Landscape. I presented the work of students, faculty, staff, and others who participated in the media experiment Traverse - a look at dance and media technology in the Utah landscape, part of a Dee Grant project authored by myself and other faculty. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 02/16/2017.
- Podcast: Hitchcock (Salt Lake Film Society) On this, the first episode EVER of "Talking Film" we are talking about one of the greatest directors EVER in the history of cinema, Mr. Alfred Hitchcock. Joining Dylan for this discussion are Kevin Hansen, Chair of the Film & Media Arts Department at the University of Utah,Tori A. Baker, Executive Director of Salt Lake Film Society, and our resident film encyclopedia, Andy Wijaya. We will cover the man, the legends, and the tropes of some of Hitchcock's most familiar films. Digging deep with our take on artists in film, gender roles and suspense. https://saltlakefilmsociety.org/talkingfilm/tag/Ta... Interdisciplinary. Community Engagement. Other, Presented, 02/01/2017.
- I am a specialist in 16mm Cinematography with great familiarity with both Bolex and Arri-flex camera systems. I am also very familiar with all Kodak negative and positive stocks, black & white and color.
- German, basic.
- Latin, basic.
Working to achieve a reciprocal agreement with Sichuan U in Chengdu.
- Republic of Korea
Manage the F&MA department's program on the U Asia Global Camps in Songdo, South Korea - I have taught there as well.