I have worked as a cinematographer and produced own narrative, documentary, and experimental film projects. I continue to produce films across the fine arts disciplines with colleagues and former students.
- Narrative Film
- Film or Cinema or Video
- Director of Photography for the film, Monastery, by director Steve Lawrence Peterson. Shot 5 hours of new footage for and updated version of the 1998 film on the occasion of the recent closing of the Trappist Monastery in Huntsville Utah (2017). Media Arts, completed 09/01/2017.
- Ibex Well, 4 minutes, HD Video, premiered at the Utah Museum of Fine Arts as part of the Artlandish series investigating art and landscape and featured in a presentation for 12 minutes max at the Salt Lake City Public Library. https://vimeo.com/207888954 password: west-desert Media Arts, completed 02/16/2017.
- The Art House Interviews, (collaboration with Professor Sarah Sinwell) 12+ hours of interviews with giants of the US Art house movement including 2017's AH Convergence lifetime achievement award winner Ira Deutchman. Filmed January 16 through 19, 2017 at the 10th annual Art House Convergence in Midway UT. These interviews will make up a video data base available to contributors to two special editions of The Projector: A Journal on Film, Media, and Culture, Guest Editor Sarah Sinwell (to publish in the next two years.) - project to continue in future year and may yield other media - - See: Excavating Brick and Mortar: Reinvestigating the Art House in the Digital Age, Sarah E. S. Sinwell https://www.theprojectorjournal.com/sinwell.html Media Arts, in progress 01/16/2017.
- Higher Education, a short 16mm film, is being prepared for release to silent and experimental film festivals this year. Higher Education originated on 16 mm black & white film. It was self-financed and shot side by side with my 16 mm cinematography students. Media Arts, completed 12/15/2016.
- I am currently completing work on Traverse, a film and multi-media project that investigates the relationship between Film, Dance, and the Landscape and seeks to contribute to a conversation about convergence, the special interdisciplinary nature of dance and new media, and the impact of new technologies in electronic cinematography. The work is funded by a Dee grant for the arts and humanities. I am the Principal Investigator. I am working with my colleagues Eric Handman, Modern Dance; and Connie Wilkerson, Chris Lee, and Alex Lee, Film and Media Arts. Additionally, I am finishing a short film, Ibex Well, resulting from assets acquired during the Traverse project. Ibex Well will play with other films on February 16, 2017 at the UMFA as part of their "Artlandish" series.
- Exhibited Ibex Well, a short film, and discussed the research leading to its creation in an invited presentation for the 12 Minutes Max series at the Salt Lake City Public Library. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 08/20/2017.
- Hosted, by invitation, the Utah Museum of Fine Arts opening 2017 show in their “Artlandish” series, investigating Art & Landscape. I presented the work of students, faculty, staff, and others who participated in the media experiment Traverse - a look at dance and media technology in the Utah landscape, part of a Dee Grant project authored by myself and other faculty. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 02/16/2017.
- Podcast: Hitchcock (Salt Lake Film Society) On this, the first episode EVER of "Talking Film" we are talking about one of the greatest directors EVER in the history of cinema, Mr. Alfred Hitchcock. Joining Dylan for this discussion are Kevin Hansen, Chair of the Film & Media Arts Department at the University of Utah,Tori A. Baker, Executive Director of Salt Lake Film Society, and our resident film encyclopedia, Andy Wijaya. We will cover the man, the legends, and the tropes of some of Hitchcock's most familiar films. Digging deep with our take on artists in film, gender roles and suspense. https://saltlakefilmsociety.org/talkingfilm/tag/Ta... Interdisciplinary. Community Engagement. Other, Presented, 02/01/2017.
- Republic of Korea
Taught on the U Asia Global Camps in Songdo, South Korea.