I am collecting narratives aobut library use to inform a project about how libraries transform lives. The work in progrss is presented in this blog: https://writersandlibraries.blogspot.com/
I am embedded in the Sustainabilty Office in order to work more directly with efforts to create sustainable change on campus.
I am working on a research guide for the wicked problems of the Anthropocene.
I write book reviews in order to help promote reading.
Areas of Library Specialty
- Government Documents & Maps
- Environmental & Sustainability Studies
- Environmental Humanities
- Library Assessment
- New Media Studies
- Library Reference Services
- Information Visualization
- Information Litearcy
- Government information
- Environmental sustainability
- Environmental Humanities
- Digital Libraries
- Amy Brunvand, Jeanne Pfander, Eric Tans, "Academic Libraries Fostering Resilient Communities," (2018 AASHE Conference & Expo, Oct. 2-5, 2018, Pittsburgh, PA). Panel, Presented, 10/04/2018.
- Amy Brunvand, Jeanne Pfander, Eric Tans, "Academic Libraries Fostering Resilient Communities," AASHE Conference & Expo (Pittsburgh, PA: Oct 1-5, 2018). Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 10/03/2018.
- Sustainability Strategies for Libraries & Communities (Symposium on the Future of Libraries at ALA Midwinter, Denver CO. Feb. 9-13, 2018.) .
- Re-localizing the Library: An Environmental Humanities Model. Libraries & Archives in the Anthropocene: A Colloquium (May 13-14, 2017, NYU).
Conference Paper, Refereed,
- [Webinar] "STARS and Beyond: Adventures of an embedded Librarian in the Campus Sustainability Office." Presented for American Library Association Sustainability Round Table (SustainRT).
- Brunvand, Amy. "A Deep Archive for the Anthropocene: Collecting Environmental Humanities in Academic Libraries." (ASLE Eleventh Biennial Conference, June 23-27, 2015, Moscow, ID).
Conference Paper, Refereed,
- Alison Regan, Amy Brunvand, Ambra Gagliardi. "Computing History at the University of Utah: Creating a Digital Archive." 62nd Annual Utah State History Conference, Utah Technology Through Time.
Conference Paper, Refereed,
- Brunvand, Amy. Sustainability, Relocalization, Citizen Activism, and Government Information. (2014) Webinar presented May 29, 2014, 11:00am MDT. American Library Association GODORT eLearning Project.
- "Marriott Library Digital Scholarship Lab Projects" (2014) (ULA Annual conference, Sandy, UT April 30-May 2) Robert Nelson, Tony Sams, Justin Sorenson, Amy Brunvand. Presentation, Presented, 05/02/2014.
- Brunvand, Amy."Urban Pioneers: A Digital Library of Utah's Folk Music Revival, 1959-1966." (2014) Western States Folklore Society annual meeting (April 11-12, Logan, Utah). Presentation, Presented, 03/11/2014.
- Regan, Alison & Brunvand, Amy. Let's get Digital!: Best practices in building digital collections for your community, by your community. (2013)(Utah Library Association 2013 Annual Conference.). Presentation, Presented, 05/03/2013.
- Brunvand, Amy. Library Collections for Sustainability. Utah Library Association 2013 Annual conference.
- Brunvand, Amy Census Data For Everybody. (2012) (Utah Library Association, 2012 annual Conference. Salt Lake City, UT).
- Regan, Alison; Brunvand, Amy. Digital Scholarship: Projects that tell stories. (2012) Utah Library Association, 2012 Annual Conference. Salt Lake City, Utah.
- How the Academic Library Can Support New Forms of Scholarship. (2011) Bell, S. ; Brunvand, A.; Nelson, R.; Sams, T. (Utah Library Association 2011 Annual Conference, “Utah Libraries: At the Core of Our Communities,” May 11-13th). Presentation, Presented, 05/12/2011.
- Brunvand, Amy. "Ask the Expert: Using Expertise Domains for Library Service Assessment." (2010) (ARL Library Assessment Conference, Oct.25-27). Paper is published in the conference proceedings.
Conference Paper, Refereed,
- Government Information in the 21st Century: a toolkit of online resources. Preconference. (2008) Gary Hill, Kristen Clark, & Amy Brunvand. (ULA Annual Conference. Salt Lake City, Utah. April 29 – May 2). -Elections and the Political Process: Online Resources for Reference Librarians -Citizenship and Immigration: Online Resources for Reference Librarians . Presentation, Presented, 04/29/2008.
- Government Documents in Undergraduate Research. (2006) (5 States Government Documents Conference, Boulder, CO. August 2-4). (also presented at 2007 ULA Conference, May 16-18). Presentation, Presented, 08/02/2006.
- Searching the Deep Web. (2005) Kate Holvoet, Peter Kraus, David Morrison, Amy Brunvand. (ULA Annual Conference Ogden, Utah. May 11-13). Presentation, Presented, 05/11/2005.
- Geography of the Reader. (2001) (Association for Study of Literature and the Environment conference. Flagstaff AZ, June 20, 2001). Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 06/20/2001.
- New Internet Navigator. (2001) P Nancy Lombardo, Jean LeBer, Carol Hansen & Amy Brunvand (ULA Annual Conference: Salt Lake City, Utah. May 4, 2001). Presentation, Presented, 05/04/2001.
- United States of America
I'm interested in regional writing about Utah and the western United States, and more broadly in library collections as a "story" about the communities they serve.
- Brunvand, Amy (2019). [Book Review] A Daring Life: What May Become of Diaries in the Attic [Review of "Look Both Ways" by Katherine Coles].. (pp. 28). Vol. 39 (1), Catalyst Magazine.
- Brunvand, Amy (2018). [Book Review] Ed Abbey, Revisited [review of "Desert Cabal" by Amy Irvine]. Catalyst.
- Amy Brunvand (2018). [Book Review] Stony Mesa Sagas. Catalyst.
- Brunvand, Amy (2018). [Book Review] Stripping the World of Beautiful Danger: Rob Carney’s The Book of Sharks. Artists of Utah, 15 Bytes.
- Brunvand, Amy (2018). [Book Review] Jamtske-- of Fluids and Listening by Sinne Storm. (pp. 84-86). Vol. Spring/Summer 2018, Sugar House Review.
- Brunvand, Amy (2018). [Book Review] Radical Joy for Hard Times. Vol. July 2018, Catalyst Magazine.
- Brunvand, Amy (2018). [Book Review] Books: The Wizard and the Prophet. (pp. 36). Vol. 38(6), Catalyst.
- Brunvand, Amy (2018). [Book Review] The Rainbow Jigsaw Landscape of Engine of Color / Motor of Form. Artists of Utah 15-Bytes.
- Brunvand, Amy (2018). [Book Review] Threads of Mythology in Lance Olsen’s Dreamlives of Debris. 15 Bytes: Utah's Art Magazine.
- Brunvand, Amy (2017). [Book Review] Edge of Morning: Native Voices Speak for the Bears Ears. (pp. 601–603). Vol. 24(3), ISLE: Interdisciplinary Studies in Literature and Environment.
- Brunvand, Amy (2017). [Book Review] Unnaturalized Generations: Robert Terashima Explores Japanese-American Identity in a New Chapbook. 15-Bytes: Utah's Art Magazine.
- Amy Brunvand. 10 Years of Sustainability. @theU.
- Brunvand, Amy (2017). [Book Review] Simulacrum of a Home: Lisa Bickmore's Ephemerist. 15-Bytes: Utah's Art Magazine.
- [Dance Review] Those With Wings: An Immersive Dance Experience Along the Jordan River. Artists of Utah 15 Bytes. [Reivew of performance in collaboration with Seven Canyons Trust].
- Brunvand, Amy (2017). Sustainability on the Other Side of the Stacks: An Embedded Librarian in the Sustainbility Office. [Website/Blog] URL https://americanlibrariesmagazine.org/blogs/the-scoop/sustainability-side-stacks/.
- Conference Report: Libraries and Archives in the Anthropocene (NYU May 23-24, 2017). SustainRT Blog.
- Brunvand, Amy (2017). [Book Review] Cracking the Nut of O'Keefe's Genius. Jennifer Sinor's Letters Like the Day . 15 Bytes: Utah's Art Magazine.
- [Book Review] The Poetic Finesse of Katherine Coles' Flight". Reviewed by Amy Brunvand in 15 Bytes: Utah's Art Magazine, Jan. 2017).
- Amy Brunvand (2017). Dancing a Place / Dancing in Place. LoveDANCEmore: a Performance Journal. Vol. 13, 3. Published, 01/01/2017.
- Brunvand, Amy. Greening Higher Eduction. Catalyst. Dec., 2016.
- Brunvand, Amy (2016). [Book Review] Vessels, from a Hindu Goddess to Mae West: Paisley Rekdal's Imaginary Vessels. 15 Bytes: Utah's Art Magazine.
- Brunvand, Amy (2016). [Book Review] An Ecstatic, mystical encounter with the Divine: Alex Caldiero's Who is the Dancer? What is the Dance. 15 Bytes: Utah's Art Magazine.
- [Book Review] A Nuclear Alphabet for Downwinders: Michael McLane's Trace Elements. [Review of, "Trace Elements: Mapping the Great Basin and its Peripheries. ] 15 Bytes: Utah's Art Magazine. (Oct. 2016).
- Re-Localizing the Academic Library: Comments on an essay by Rebekkah Smith Aldrich. ALA SustainRT Blog..
- [Book Review] Judith Freeman’s The Latter Days: A Memoir. 15 Bytes, Utah's Art Magazine..
- [Book Review] Poetry as Mineralogy: Craig Dworkin's Conceptual Poetry Crystalizes in Alkali. Reviewed by Amy Brunvand. 15-Bytes: Utah's Art Magazine. (April, 2016).
- LeMire, Sarah, Rutledge, Lorelei & Brunvand, Amy. "Taking a Fresh Look: Reviewing and Classifying Reference Statistics for Data-Driven Decision Making." Reference & User Services Quarterly, vol. 55 no.3, pp. 126-34.
- [Book Review] Wolves that Lope into Your Dreams: Rob Carney's "88 Maps." Reviewed by Amy Brunvand in 15-Bytes: Utah's Art Magazine. (January 2016).
- [Book Review] "Sediment & Veil: Poems" by Kristen Jorgenson. Reviewed by Amy Brunvand in 15-Bytes: Utah's Arts Magazine. (Nov. 2015).
- Brunvand, Amy. Dance Experiment: Linda C. Smith and 50 Years of Repertory Dance Theatre. 15 Bytes: Utah's Art Magazine. (Oct. 2015).
- [Book Review] "Downwind: A People's History of the American West." by Sarah Alisabeth Fox.Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press (2014). Reviewed by Amy Brunvand in Journal of Folklore Research. http://www.jfr.indiana.edu/review.php?id=1836. Published, 09/22/2015.
- Taking Paper Seriously: A Call for Format Sensitive Collection Development. (2015) College & Research Libraries News, 76(7), 392-393.
- Brunvand, Amy & Ambra Gagliardi. "Sustainability, Relocalization, Citizen Activism and Government Information." Dttp: Documents to the People. Summer 2015, 43(2), p..10-13. Published, 06/30/2015.
- [Book Review] "Dancing Goddesses: Folklore, Archaeology and the Origins of European Dance." by Elizabeth Wayland. New York; W.W. Norton (2013). Reviewed by Amy Brunvand in Journal of Folklore Research. .
- Brunvand, Amy; Breiman, Jessica; Bulluough, Emily; Lenart, Joshua B.; & Regan, Alision. (2014) Building an Academic Library Collection to Support Sustainability. Focus on Educating for Sustainability: a Toolkit for Academic Librarians. Maria A. Jankowska, ed.: Library Juice Press,. Published, 02/2014.
- Brunvand, Amy (2011). Ask the Expert: Using Expertise Domains for Library Service Assessment. Proceedings of the 2010 Library Assessment Conference: Building Effective, Sustainable, Practical Assessment (Oct. 24-27, 2010: Baltimore MD). Vol. 2010, 571-.
- [Digital Collection] Alta (UT) Avalanche Study Center. J. Willard Marriott Library, University of Utah.
- Brunvand, Amy; Tatiana Pashkova-Balkenhol. Use of Government Information by Undergraduate Researchers: What Citation Studies Tell us About Integrating Government Sources Into Library Instruction. portal: Libraries and the Academy. v.8 no.2. 197-209.
- Missing Information and the Long Tail: how distributed collection development assures the continued relevance of libraries. Against the Grain. v.18 no.4. 34-36. Published, 01/2006.
- Integrating Library Reference Services in an Online Information Literacy Course The Internet Navigator as a Model. Internet Reference Services Quarterly. 9(3/4): 159-177. Published simultaneously in: Internet Reference Support for Distance Learners. Miller, William & Pellen, Rita M. Editors. Haworth Press, Inc. Published, 01/2005.
- The Information Commons: Librarians vs. Libertarians. American Libraries. p.42. Published, 01/2001.
- Brunvand, Amy; Daniel R. Lee, Kathleen M. McCloskey, Carol Hansen, Carol A. Kochan, & Rob Morrison. Consortium Solutions to Distance Education Problems. in Ninth Off-Campus Library Services Conference Proceedings (Portland, Oregon, April 25-28). Reprinted: (2001) Journal of Library Administration. 31(3/4): 75-92. Reprinted: (2001) Casey, Anne Marie ed. Off-Campus Library Services. Haworth Information Press. Published, 2000.
- Know Thyself: A Librarian Uses the Library. C&RL News, 59(2): 80. Published, 01/1998.
- Coda: A Basic Contra Dance Library. Wilson Library Bulletin. 69(5): 136. Published, 05/1995.
- Morrison, Rob; Kathleen McCloskey, Juliane P. Hinz, Michele Zandi, Peggy Grimm Pierce, K. C. Benedict & Amy Brunvand. Developing Off-Campus Services in Utah: A Cooperative Experience. in Seventh Off-Campus Library Services Conference Proceedings (San Diego, California, October 25-27). Mount Pleasant, MI: Central Michigan University, p. 261-268. Published, 1995.
- Make Your Math Collection Count! Library Journal. p.151-154. Published, 09/01/1994.
- Brunvand, Amy; Crocker, Maureen & Schubert, Jim. Columbine Comments: The Colorado State Publications Database on CARL. Colorado Libraries. 20(1): 44-. Published, 01/1994.
- Columbine Comments: Colorado Environmental Newsletters. Colorado Libraries. 20(3): 44-. Published, 1994.
- Resource Sharing and the Importance of Place. Colorado Libraries, 18(2): 22-24. Published, 01/1992.
- Mental Maps & Collection Development: A View from Colorado. Western Association of Map Librarians Information Bulletin, 23(1): 35-41. Published, 1991.