I am collecting narratives aobut library use to inform a project about how libraries transform lives. The work in progrss is presented in this blog: https://writersandlibraries.blogspot.com/
I am embedded in the Sustainabilty Office in order to work more directly with efforts to create sustainable change on campus.
I am working on a research guide for the wicked problems of the Anthropocene.
I write book reviews in order to help promote reading.
Areas of Library Specialty
- Government Documents & Maps
- Environmental & Sustainability Studies
- Environmental Humanities
- Library Assessment
- New Media Studies
- Library Reference Services
- Information Visualization
- Information Litearcy
- Government information
- Environmental sustainability
- Environmental Humanities
- Digital Libraries
- Libraries as Partners for Community Sustainability Speakers: Amy Brunvand, University of Utah; Andrea Wirth, University of Nevada Intermountain Sustainability Summit (Ogden, UT, March 21-22, 2019)Room 404. Are you seeking a partner to amplify your sustainability efforts? Maybe the library can help! Libraries are inherently green with a core mission to share things -- not just books, but also meeting spaces, technology, seeds, tools, toys, and a surprising number of other things that support community resiliency. Contributed Talk, Presented, 03/21/2019.
- Brunvand, Amy, discussion Leader: SUSTAINRT: Introducing U.N. Sustainable Development Goals in U.S. Libraries.
American Library Association Midwinter Meeting (Seattle, WA, Jan 25-29)
Sunday, January 27 2:30 PM - 3:30 PM Location: Washington State Convention Center, Room 205
Libraries are key institutions for achieving the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), a plan for making the world better for everyone with no-one left behind. Libraries worldwide offer a network of librarians, public spaces and resources that are already trusted within communities. Libraries preserve cultural heritage and promote universal literacy and access to communication. While libraries outside of the U.S. have widely adopted the SDGs as part of their mission, U.S. libraries have been slower to engage. ALA President Garcia-Febo has announced a series of webinars to raise awareness of international topics affecting our world and profession, featuring themes that align with the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals. It is an opportune time to discuss how U.S. libraries can support the SDGs.
- Amy Brunvand, Jeanne Pfander, Eric Tans, "Academic Libraries Fostering Resilient Communities," (2018 AASHE Conference & Expo, Oct. 2-5, 2018, Pittsburgh, PA). Panel, Presented, 10/04/2018.
- Amy Brunvand, Jeanne Pfander, Eric Tans, "Academic Libraries Fostering Resilient Communities," AASHE Conference & Expo (Pittsburgh, PA: Oct 1-5, 2018). Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 10/03/2018.
- Sustainability Strategies for Libraries & Communities (Symposium on the Future of Libraries at ALA Midwinter, Denver CO. Feb. 9-13, 2018.) .
- Re-localizing the Library: An Environmental Humanities Model. Libraries & Archives in the Anthropocene: A Colloquium (May 13-14, 2017, NYU).
Conference Paper, Refereed,
- [Webinar] "STARS and Beyond: Adventures of an embedded Librarian in the Campus Sustainability Office." Presented for American Library Association Sustainability Round Table (SustainRT).
- Brunvand, Amy. "A Deep Archive for the Anthropocene: Collecting Environmental Humanities in Academic Libraries." (ASLE Eleventh Biennial Conference, June 23-27, 2015, Moscow, ID).
Conference Paper, Refereed,
- Alison Regan, Amy Brunvand, Ambra Gagliardi. "Computing History at the University of Utah: Creating a Digital Archive." 62nd Annual Utah State History Conference, Utah Technology Through Time.
Conference Paper, Refereed,
- Brunvand, Amy. Sustainability, Relocalization, Citizen Activism, and Government Information. (2014) Webinar presented May 29, 2014, 11:00am MDT. American Library Association GODORT eLearning Project.
- "Marriott Library Digital Scholarship Lab Projects" (2014) (ULA Annual conference, Sandy, UT April 30-May 2) Robert Nelson, Tony Sams, Justin Sorenson, Amy Brunvand. Presentation, Presented, 05/02/2014.
- Brunvand, Amy."Urban Pioneers: A Digital Library of Utah's Folk Music Revival, 1959-1966." (2014) Western States Folklore Society annual meeting (April 11-12, Logan, Utah). Presentation, Presented, 03/11/2014.
- Regan, Alison & Brunvand, Amy. Let's get Digital!: Best practices in building digital collections for your community, by your community. (2013)(Utah Library Association 2013 Annual Conference.). Presentation, Presented, 05/03/2013.
- Brunvand, Amy. Library Collections for Sustainability. Utah Library Association 2013 Annual conference.
- Brunvand, Amy Census Data For Everybody. (2012) (Utah Library Association, 2012 annual Conference. Salt Lake City, UT).
- Regan, Alison; Brunvand, Amy. Digital Scholarship: Projects that tell stories. (2012) Utah Library Association, 2012 Annual Conference. Salt Lake City, Utah.
- How the Academic Library Can Support New Forms of Scholarship. (2011) Bell, S. ; Brunvand, A.; Nelson, R.; Sams, T. (Utah Library Association 2011 Annual Conference, “Utah Libraries: At the Core of Our Communities,” May 11-13th). Presentation, Presented, 05/12/2011.
- Brunvand, Amy. "Ask the Expert: Using Expertise Domains for Library Service Assessment." (2010) (ARL Library Assessment Conference, Oct.25-27). Paper is published in the conference proceedings.
Conference Paper, Refereed,
- Government Information in the 21st Century: a toolkit of online resources. Preconference. (2008) Gary Hill, Kristen Clark, & Amy Brunvand. (ULA Annual Conference. Salt Lake City, Utah. April 29 – May 2). -Elections and the Political Process: Online Resources for Reference Librarians -Citizenship and Immigration: Online Resources for Reference Librarians . Presentation, Presented, 04/29/2008.
- Government Documents in Undergraduate Research. (2006) (5 States Government Documents Conference, Boulder, CO. August 2-4). (also presented at 2007 ULA Conference, May 16-18). Presentation, Presented, 08/02/2006.
- Searching the Deep Web. (2005) Kate Holvoet, Peter Kraus, David Morrison, Amy Brunvand. (ULA Annual Conference Ogden, Utah. May 11-13). Presentation, Presented, 05/11/2005.
- Geography of the Reader. (2001) (Association for Study of Literature and the Environment conference. Flagstaff AZ, June 20, 2001). Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 06/20/2001.
- New Internet Navigator. (2001) P Nancy Lombardo, Jean LeBer, Carol Hansen & Amy Brunvand (ULA Annual Conference: Salt Lake City, Utah. May 4, 2001). Presentation, Presented, 05/04/2001.
- United States of America
I'm interested in regional writing about Utah and the western United States, and more broadly in library collections as a "story" about the communities they serve.
- Brunvand, Amy (2019). The Poetry of Government Information. DttP: Documents to the People. Vol. 47(2). Accepted, 03/20/2019.
- Brunvand, Amy (2019). Reasons to Love Your Library: Think of them as Resilience Centers. Catalyst Magazine. Vol. 39(3), 18-19.
- Brunvand, Amy (2019). [Book Review] A Daring Life: What May Become of Diaries in the Attic [Review of "Look Both Ways" by Katherine Coles].. (pp. 28). Vol. 39 (1), Catalyst Magazine.
- Brunvand, Amy (2018). [Book Review] Ed Abbey, Revisited [review of "Desert Cabal" by Amy Irvine]. Catalyst.
- Amy Brunvand (2018). [Book Review] Stony Mesa Sagas. Catalyst.
- Brunvand, Amy (2018). [Book Review] Stripping the World of Beautiful Danger: Rob Carney’s The Book of Sharks. Artists of Utah, 15 Bytes.
- Brunvand, Amy (2018). [Book Review] Jamtske-- of Fluids and Listening by Sinne Storm. (pp. 84-86). Vol. Spring/Summer 2018, Sugar House Review.
- Brunvand, Amy (2018). [Book Review] Radical Joy for Hard Times. Vol. July 2018, Catalyst Magazine.
- Brunvand, Amy (2018). [Book Review] Books: The Wizard and the Prophet. (pp. 36). Vol. 38(6), Catalyst.
- Brunvand, Amy (2018). [Book Review] The Rainbow Jigsaw Landscape of Engine of Color / Motor of Form. Artists of Utah 15-Bytes.
- Brunvand, Amy (2018). [Book Review] Threads of Mythology in Lance Olsen’s Dreamlives of Debris. 15 Bytes: Utah's Art Magazine.
- Brunvand, Amy (2017). [Book Review] Edge of Morning: Native Voices Speak for the Bears Ears. (pp. 601–603). Vol. 24(3), ISLE: Interdisciplinary Studies in Literature and Environment.
- Brunvand, Amy (2017). [Book Review] Unnaturalized Generations: Robert Terashima Explores Japanese-American Identity in a New Chapbook. 15-Bytes: Utah's Art Magazine.
- Amy Brunvand. 10 Years of Sustainability. @theU.
- Brunvand, Amy (2017). [Book Review] Simulacrum of a Home: Lisa Bickmore's Ephemerist. 15-Bytes: Utah's Art Magazine.
- [Dance Review] Those With Wings: An Immersive Dance Experience Along the Jordan River. Artists of Utah 15 Bytes. [Reivew of performance in collaboration with Seven Canyons Trust].
- Brunvand, Amy (2017). Sustainability on the Other Side of the Stacks: An Embedded Librarian in the Sustainbility Office. [Website/Blog] URL https://americanlibrariesmagazine.org/blogs/the-scoop/sustainability-side-stacks/.
- Conference Report: Libraries and Archives in the Anthropocene (NYU May 23-24, 2017). SustainRT Blog.
- Brunvand, Amy (2017). [Book Review] Cracking the Nut of O'Keefe's Genius. Jennifer Sinor's Letters Like the Day . 15 Bytes: Utah's Art Magazine.
- [Book Review] The Poetic Finesse of Katherine Coles' Flight". Reviewed by Amy Brunvand in 15 Bytes: Utah's Art Magazine, Jan. 2017).
- Amy Brunvand (2017). Dancing a Place / Dancing in Place. LoveDANCEmore: a Performance Journal. Vol. 13, 3. Published, 01/01/2017.
- Brunvand, Amy. Greening Higher Eduction. Catalyst. Dec., 2016.
- Brunvand, Amy (2016). [Book Review] Vessels, from a Hindu Goddess to Mae West: Paisley Rekdal's Imaginary Vessels. 15 Bytes: Utah's Art Magazine.
- Brunvand, Amy (2016). [Book Review] An Ecstatic, mystical encounter with the Divine: Alex Caldiero's Who is the Dancer? What is the Dance. 15 Bytes: Utah's Art Magazine.
- [Book Review] A Nuclear Alphabet for Downwinders: Michael McLane's Trace Elements. [Review of, "Trace Elements: Mapping the Great Basin and its Peripheries. ] 15 Bytes: Utah's Art Magazine. (Oct. 2016).
- Re-Localizing the Academic Library: Comments on an essay by Rebekkah Smith Aldrich. ALA SustainRT Blog..
- [Book Review] Judith Freeman’s The Latter Days: A Memoir. 15 Bytes, Utah's Art Magazine..
- [Book Review] Poetry as Mineralogy: Craig Dworkin's Conceptual Poetry Crystalizes in Alkali. Reviewed by Amy Brunvand. 15-Bytes: Utah's Art Magazine. (April, 2016).
- LeMire, Sarah, Rutledge, Lorelei & Brunvand, Amy. "Taking a Fresh Look: Reviewing and Classifying Reference Statistics for Data-Driven Decision Making." Reference & User Services Quarterly, vol. 55 no.3, pp. 126-34.
- [Book Review] Wolves that Lope into Your Dreams: Rob Carney's "88 Maps." Reviewed by Amy Brunvand in 15-Bytes: Utah's Art Magazine. (January 2016).
- [Book Review] "Sediment & Veil: Poems" by Kristen Jorgenson. Reviewed by Amy Brunvand in 15-Bytes: Utah's Arts Magazine. (Nov. 2015).
- Brunvand, Amy. Dance Experiment: Linda C. Smith and 50 Years of Repertory Dance Theatre. 15 Bytes: Utah's Art Magazine. (Oct. 2015).
- [Book Review] "Downwind: A People's History of the American West." by Sarah Alisabeth Fox.Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press (2014). Reviewed by Amy Brunvand in Journal of Folklore Research. http://www.jfr.indiana.edu/review.php?id=1836. Published, 09/22/2015.
- Taking Paper Seriously: A Call for Format Sensitive Collection Development. (2015) College & Research Libraries News, 76(7), 392-393.
- Brunvand, Amy & Ambra Gagliardi. "Sustainability, Relocalization, Citizen Activism and Government Information." Dttp: Documents to the People. Summer 2015, 43(2), p..10-13. Published, 06/30/2015.
- [Book Review] "Dancing Goddesses: Folklore, Archaeology and the Origins of European Dance." by Elizabeth Wayland. New York; W.W. Norton (2013). Reviewed by Amy Brunvand in Journal of Folklore Research. .
- Brunvand, Amy; Breiman, Jessica; Bulluough, Emily; Lenart, Joshua B.; & Regan, Alision. (2014) Building an Academic Library Collection to Support Sustainability. Focus on Educating for Sustainability: a Toolkit for Academic Librarians. Maria A. Jankowska, ed.: Library Juice Press,. Published, 02/2014.
- Brunvand, Amy (2011). Ask the Expert: Using Expertise Domains for Library Service Assessment. Proceedings of the 2010 Library Assessment Conference: Building Effective, Sustainable, Practical Assessment (Oct. 24-27, 2010: Baltimore MD). Vol. 2010, 571-.
- [Digital Collection] Alta (UT) Avalanche Study Center. J. Willard Marriott Library, University of Utah.
- Brunvand, Amy; Tatiana Pashkova-Balkenhol. Use of Government Information by Undergraduate Researchers: What Citation Studies Tell us About Integrating Government Sources Into Library Instruction. portal: Libraries and the Academy. v.8 no.2. 197-209.
- Missing Information and the Long Tail: how distributed collection development assures the continued relevance of libraries. Against the Grain. v.18 no.4. 34-36. Published, 01/2006.
- Integrating Library Reference Services in an Online Information Literacy Course The Internet Navigator as a Model. Internet Reference Services Quarterly. 9(3/4): 159-177. Published simultaneously in: Internet Reference Support for Distance Learners. Miller, William & Pellen, Rita M. Editors. Haworth Press, Inc. Published, 01/2005.
- The Information Commons: Librarians vs. Libertarians. American Libraries. p.42. Published, 01/2001.
- Brunvand, Amy; Daniel R. Lee, Kathleen M. McCloskey, Carol Hansen, Carol A. Kochan, & Rob Morrison. Consortium Solutions to Distance Education Problems. in Ninth Off-Campus Library Services Conference Proceedings (Portland, Oregon, April 25-28). Reprinted: (2001) Journal of Library Administration. 31(3/4): 75-92. Reprinted: (2001) Casey, Anne Marie ed. Off-Campus Library Services. Haworth Information Press. Published, 2000.
- Know Thyself: A Librarian Uses the Library. C&RL News, 59(2): 80. Published, 01/1998.
- Coda: A Basic Contra Dance Library. Wilson Library Bulletin. 69(5): 136. Published, 05/1995.
- Morrison, Rob; Kathleen McCloskey, Juliane P. Hinz, Michele Zandi, Peggy Grimm Pierce, K. C. Benedict & Amy Brunvand. Developing Off-Campus Services in Utah: A Cooperative Experience. in Seventh Off-Campus Library Services Conference Proceedings (San Diego, California, October 25-27). Mount Pleasant, MI: Central Michigan University, p. 261-268. Published, 1995.
- Make Your Math Collection Count! Library Journal. p.151-154. Published, 09/01/1994.
- Brunvand, Amy; Crocker, Maureen & Schubert, Jim. Columbine Comments: The Colorado State Publications Database on CARL. Colorado Libraries. 20(1): 44-. Published, 01/1994.
- Columbine Comments: Colorado Environmental Newsletters. Colorado Libraries. 20(3): 44-. Published, 1994.
- Resource Sharing and the Importance of Place. Colorado Libraries, 18(2): 22-24. Published, 01/1992.
- Mental Maps & Collection Development: A View from Colorado. Western Association of Map Librarians Information Bulletin, 23(1): 35-41. Published, 1991.