- Salari, S. (2016) Intimate Partner Homicide Suicide in Later Life: Understanding Motives and Risks. Family and Intimate Partner Abuse Quarterly 8(3)203-209; Also published as Domestic Violence Report 2015 21(1)1-15;. Published, 11/2016.
- "Lethal Intimate Partner Violence in Later Life: Understanding the measurements, strengths and limitations of research." Special Issue: NIH Multiple Approaches to Understanding and Preventing Elder Abuse Panel, Journal of Elder Abuse and Neglect, 28:4-5, 238-262.
- Salari, Sonia, Ajrouch, Kristine, & Aydin, May "Aging and Later Life: Barriers and Adaptations Based on Immigration and Nativity Status" In Mona Amer and Germine Awad (Eds) Handbook of Arab American Psychology, New York: Routledge. Published, 01/2016.
- Salari, S.& Sillito, C.L. Intimate Partner Homicide Suicide: Perpetrator primary intent across young, middle aged, and elder adult age categories. Aggression and Violent Behavior 26, 26-34.
- Sonia Salari (2015) Family Violence Across the Life Course: Research, Policy and Prevention. Kendall Hunt Publishers. Published 01/2015. Purchased books 150 by 3/1/2017.
- Sonia Salari (2013) “Salari’s Response to ‘Is Infantilization Ethical? An Ethical Question for Gerontologists.’ 10(1)2013” Journal of Social Work Values and Ethics, p.8-13.
- Sonia Salari & Anna Chan “Lessons learned administrative data and ethnographic observation of frail population: health related facilities” Published Proceedings from Presentation at the Joint Statistical Meetings, American Statistical Association, San Diego CA July 28, 2012.
- Sonia Salari & Anna Chan (2013) “Ethnographic Study of the Group Quarters Population in the 2010 Census: Healthcare Facilities (Long Term and Hospice Care)” Study Series #2013-06, Center for Survey Measurement Research and Methodology Directorate, Survey Methodology, www.census.gov U.S. Census Bureau, Washington, D.C. 20233.
- Sonia Salari (2013) “Challenges in Enumerating and Surveying Health Related Group Quarters (HRGQ): Skilled Nursing and Hospice Facilities” Published Conference Proceedings. International Conference on Methods for Surveying and Enumerating Hard-to-Reach Populations, New Orleans, LA. Oct.31-Nov. 3. H2R2012@amstat.org. Published, 02/2013.
- Salari, Sonia (2012) “Ethnographic Evidence of Barriers to Resident Self Report on the Decennial Census in Hospice and Skilled Nursing Facilities” Senior Housing & Care Journal. Volume 20 (1)5-70. www.nic.org/SeniorsHousingandCareJournal/2012. Published, 09/01/2012.
- Carrie LeFevre Sillito & Sonia Salari Child Outcomes and Risk Factors in U.S. Homicide-Suicide Cases 1999–2004, Journal of Family Violence Volume 26, Number 4, 285-297.
- Salari, Sonia "Elder Mistreatment" In Settersten, R. & Angel, J. Handbook of Sociology of Aging and Life Course. Springer. Published, 03/2011.
- Salari, Sonia (2007) Patterns of Intimate Partner Homicide Suicide in Later Life: Strategies for prevention. Clinical Interventions in Aging. October 2 (3) Dove Medical Press.
- Sonia Salari, Barbara Brown & Jaqueline Eaton (2006) Conflicts and Friendship Cliques Related to Territorial Displays in Senior Centers. Journal of Aging Studies Vol. 20(3) 237-252.
- Sonia Salari & Hashim Balubaid (2006) Older Arab Americans. In Adler, R., Brangman, S., Pan, C., & Yeo, G. Doorway Thoughts: Cross-Cultural Health Care for Older Adults. Volume II. American Geriatrics Society. Jones and Bartlett Publishing. Published, 2006.
- Sonia Salari (2006) Women, Gender and Aging Across the Life Course: United States. In Joseph, S. (Ed). Encyclopedia of Women in Islamic Cultures, Brill Publishers: Netherlands. Published, 2006.
- Sonia Salari (2006). The Elderly in Utah: Small proportions with rapid growth. In Zick, C. & Smith, K.R. (Ed.) Utah at the Beginning of the New Millennium: A Demographic Perspective. University of Utah Publishers: Salt Lake City, UT. Published, 2006.
- Sonia Salari & Wei Zhang (2006) Kin keepers and good providers: Gender socialization effects on well-being among birth cohorts. Aging and Mental Health Vol. 10 (5) 485-496.
- Salari, Sonia (2006) Infantilization as Elder Mistreatment: Evidence from 5 Adult Day Centers. Journal of Elder Abuse and Neglect. Vol 17(4) 53-91.
- Shin Sook Lee & Sonia Salari (2005) “Korean and American Undergraduate Student’s Knowledge and Attitudes toward the Elderly and Aging” Korean Association of Family Relations-- Journal of Family Relations December 195-218. Published, 12/2005.
- Jaqueline Eaton & Sonia Salari (2005) Environments for Lifelong Learning in Senior Centers. Educational Gerontology: An International Journal of Research and Practice. Vol. 6. June/July 461-480.
- Shin-Sook Lee & Sonia Salari (2004) Undergraduate Students’ Images of the Elderly Based on Knowledge and Attitudes. International Journal of Human Ecology. 5(2)31-49 December. Published, 2004.
- Sonia Salari (2002) Invisible in Aging Research: Arab Americans, Muslims and Middle Eastern Immigrants in the United States. The Gerontologist. Vol. 42( 5) 580-588. October.
- Sonia Salari (2002). Intergenerational Partnerships in Aging Services: Importance of Age Appropriate Environments and Behaviors The Gerontologist, Vol. 42:(3)321-333.
- Sonia M. Salari & Bret Baldwin (2002). Verbal, Physical & Injurious Couple Aggression Over Time. Journal of Family Issues. Vol. 23(4)523-550 (May).
- Sonia M. Salari and Melinda Rich (2001). Social and Environmental Infantilization of Elderly Persons: Observations in Two Adult Day Care Centers. International Journal of Aging & Human Development, 52(2) 115-134.
- Sonia Salari (2001) Review of Mercier, Garasky & Shelley (Eds.) “Redefining Family Policy: Implications for the 21st Century” Journal of Marriage & Family, 63:4. Published, 2001.
- Sonia Salari (2001). Reproductive Technologies. In Honig, Alice, Hiram Fitzgerald & Holly Brophy-Herb, Infancy in America: An Encyclopedia, Volume 2: Pp. 565-569. ABC Clio. Published, 2001.
- Sonia Salari (2001). Stem Cells (Umbilical cord cell preservation). In Honig, Alice, Hiram Fitzgerald & Holly Brophy-Herb (Eds.) Infancy in America: An Encyclopedia. Volume 2: Pp. 604-607. ABC Clio. Published, 2001.
- Sonia Salari (2001). Temporary Assistance to Needy Families. In Honig, Alice, Hiram Fitzgerald & Holly Brophy-Herb (Eds.) Infancy In America: An Encyclopedia, Volume 2: Pp. 626-630. ABC Clio Publishing. Published, 2001.
- Sonia Miner and Stewart Tolnay (1998). Barriers to Voluntary Organization Membership: An Examination of Race and Cohort Differences in Participation. Journal of Gerontology: Social Sciences. Sept. 53B(5)S241-S248.
- Sonia Miner and Peter Uhlenberg (1997). Intragenerational Proximity and the Social Role of Sibling Neighbors after Midlife. Family Relations April, 46:145-153.
- Peter Uhlenberg and Sonia Miner (1996). A Cohort Life Course Perspective on Aging. Chapter in the Handbook of Aging and Social Sciences Robert Binstock and Linda George (Eds.) Fourth Edition. San Diego, CA. Academic Press, Inc.
- Sonia Miner (1995). Racial Differences in Family Support and Formal Service Utilization Among Older Persons: A Non-recursive Model. Journal of Gerontology: Social Sciences 50B:3:S143-S153.
- S Miner, JR Logan, G Spitze - Prediction the frequency of senior center attendance, The Gerontologist, 1993. Published, 10/1993.
- Sonia Miner (1993) Informal and Formal Spheres of Social Interaction and Support by Race: An analysis of interdependencies and compensation in Later Life. Dissertation. Published, 05/1993.
- G Spitze, S Miner - Gender differences in adult child contact among Black elderly parents. The Gerontologist, 1992. Published, 04/1992.
Primary interests in gerontology, including well-being, quality of life, mental and physical health, race/ethnic/immigrant diversity and elder mistreatment. Focus is on family interaction (including domestic violence) and formal aging service utilization. Social interaction and participation in aging services has been examined in depth, with the aim to encourage optimal practices and prevent elder mistreatment. Recent emphasis on domestic violence among dyads has included a project examining intimate partner homicide-suicide in 3 age categories, young adult 18-44, middle aged 45-59 and elderly 60+. Lethality in current or former partnerships show distinct patterns by age and sex. There are implications for policy and prevention as the baby boom cohort moves into advanced ages through mid and later life.
- Mistreatment and Psychological Resilience among Older Chinese Adults and the Moderating Role of Social Support. International Association of Gerontology and Geriatrics IAGG World Congress, San Francisco, CA.
- Femicide in Later Life: The role of policy in prevention. International Association of Gerontology and Geriatrics IAGG World Congress, San Francisco .
- Fatalities Among Intimate Partners Across the Life Course. Utah Domestic Violence Coalition, Provo Convention Center Ballroom. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 10/06/2016.
- Sonia Salari & Carrie Sillito Abstract submitted “Late Life Family Disasters: Preventing Fatalities from Intimate Partner Homicide Suicide.” International Federation on Aging IFA Brisbane Australia, June 21-23.
- Sonia Salari “Why Men Kill Their Families/ Intimate Partner Homicide and Suicide.” Generations Conference, Salt Palace Convention Center, 9:15-10:30am. Invited talk, Salt Lake City. April 1. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 04/2016.
- Sonia Salari 2015 NIH Panel Workshop: Multiple Approaches to Understanding and Preventing Elder Abuse. Commissioned by 2015 Whitehouse Conference on Aging, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda MD 10/30/2015 . Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 10/2015.
- Sonia Salari, Robert Butters, Antoinette Laskey, DeAnn Tilton. 2015 Policy at the Podium, Family Violence Across the Life Course: Research, Policy and Prevention. Organized and presented panel, October 9/2015 . Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 09/2015.
- Sonia Salari 2015 Family Violence Lethality Over the Life Course, South Valley Sanctuary Certification Training, 6/17/2015. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 06/2015.
- The Hidden Story: Male Victims of Domestic Violence. SWAVO Quarterly Trainings, Office of Victims of Crime. Red Cliffs Lodge, Moab, Utah. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 03/05/2015.
- Sonia Salari 2015 Environment and Health: Quality of Life Among the Elderly. Health, Society and Policy (HSP) Department Lecture Series, at the University of Utah, 3/24. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 03/2015.
- 2015 Fatal Family Violence Across the Life Course: Research, Policy and Prevention. Interdisciplinary Series on Aging, University of Utah College of Social Work, 2/23 . Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 02/23/2015.
- 2014 Sonia Salari and Carrie Sillito International Comparison of Firearm Policy and Fatal Household Violence in Mid and Later Life, GSA Washington DC Nov 6. Conference Paper, Presented, 11/2014.
- 2013 Sonia Salari “Loved To Death? Romantic Media Portrayals of Murder Suicide Convey Gender Bias and Ageism.” Gerontological Society of America Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA Nov 2013. Poster, Presented, 11/2013.
- 2012 Sonia Salari Discussant Symposium: Aging and People of the Middle East: Old Country vs. New World Experiences Gerontological Society of America, 11/15/2012. San Diego, CA. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 11/15/2012.
- 2012 Sonia Salari (11/3) “Challenges and Issues in Enumerating and Surveying Health Related Group Quarters (HRGQ): Skilled Nursing and Hospice Facilities” Paper presentation Hard to Reach International Conference on Methods for Surveying and Enumerating Hard-to-Reach Populations, New Orleans, LA. Oct.31-Nov. 3. H2R2012@amstat.org . Conference Paper, Presented, 11/03/2012.
- 2012 Sonia Salari & Anna Chan “Lessons learned administrative data and ethnographic observation of frail population: health related facilities” Joint Statistical Meetings, San Diego CA. Conference Paper, Presented, 07/29/2012.
- Decennial Census Group Quarters Enumeration : Ethnographic Evidence of Barriers to Resident Self Report in Hospice and Skilled Nursing Facilities Gerontological Society of America, Boston. Poster, Presented, 11/2011.
- “Intimate Partner Homicide Suicide in Mid and Later Life: State Differences in IPHS and Gun Regulations & Policy.” Gerontological Society of America . Conference Paper, Presented, 11/23/2010.
- “Population Measurement in Health Related Group Quarters Ethnographic Study: Long Term & Hospice Care” U.S. Census Bureau . Conference Paper, Presented, 11/05/2010.
- 2009 Neighborhood and Community Trauma: Responses to Mid and Later Life Intimate Partner Homicide Suicide Paper Presentation Gerontological Society of America, Atlanta GA, Nov 21. Conference Paper, Presented, 11/21/2009.
- 2008 Sonia Salari Mid and Later Life Intimate Partner Homicide Suicide: Implications for end of life decision making. Paper presentation GSA, National Harbor Maryland, Nov 22. Conference Paper, Presented, 11/22/2008.
- 2007 (with C. Sillito & Prospero, M.) Intimate Partner Homicide Suicide Patterns and Comparisons for Young Adult, Middle Aged and Elderly Intimate Partners 1999-2005. Fatal Family Violence Symposium, IFAS International Family Aggression Society, University of Central Lancashire, UK March . Conference Paper, Presented, 03/2007.
- 2005 (S. Salari, Invited) Murder Suicide Among Intimate Partners: Images & Realities. Elder Abuse Conference Funded by NYS Bar Association, 4/29/05 Nassau Community College & Hofstra University, Long Island New York. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 04/29/2005.
- Ethnographic Group Quarters Study. PI: Sonia Salari. U.S. Census Bureau, 01/04/2010 - 12/31/2010. Total project budget to date: $30,000.00
- Family Violence Across the Life Course: Research, Policy and Prevention. Sonia Salari, 01/2015.