My primary research focuses on defining and constructing a competency-based education model in higher education. I have also explored best practices for measuring student performance in a practicum using a competency-based model. My secondary research interest explores the impact of mental health on children and adolescents. I have investigated the role and implementation of social-emotional learning in a K-5 setting. I have developed staff training modules and co-authored a six-week social-emotional curriculum that encompasses lessons on developing social competencies, mindfulness, and movement practices.
- Social Emotional Learning
- Fieldwork Education
- Competency-based Education
- Child and Adolescent Mental Health
- Gervais, J (2016). The operational definition of competency-based education. The Journal of Competency-based Education. Vol. 1, 8.
- Gervais, J & Wagner, J., Amerman Goerdt, L., Dunn, R., Imungi, M., & Rogers, O. (2014). Social Work Field Liaison Resource Manual. Wisconsin Council on Social Work Education.