- A. Foley, S. Mohanty & G. Sjoden (2022). "Developing a basis for heavy metal in-situ detection using CZT". Journal of Instrumentation. Vol. JINST 17 P05026. Published, 05/01/2022.
- M. Wang, G. Sjoden & T. Hall (2022). “Importance of 3-D Sn Depletion in Non-Proliferation using BSOLVE”. PHYSOR 2022: International Conference on the Physics of Reactors, Pittsburgh, PA. Published, 05/2022.
- Tanner W. Hall, Meng-Jen Wang, G. E. Sjoden & Matthew Watrous (2022). “Computational and Experimental Optimization of 135Xe Production in Calibration Sources". Journal of Environmental Radioactivity. Vol. 106814. Published, 01/02/2022.
- M. Hartos, M. Wang & G. Sjoden (2022). “Design of an Ultra-Compact Imaging Chamber and Radiation Beamstop for a Neutron Radiography System Employing Particle Transport”. Nuclear Engineering and Design. Vol. 386/111570. Published, 01/02/2022.
- G. Sjoden, M. Wang & N. Kurtyka (2021). “BSOLVE: Energy Dependent Depletion with Algorithm-adapted Error Control for 3-D Transport”. ANS Transactions. Vol. 125. Published, 12/01/2021.
- M. Hartos, M. Wang & G. Sjoden (2021). “3-D Monte Carlo vs SN Deterministic Radiation Transport Methods Supporting an Optimized Neutron Imaging Source at the Utah TRIGA Reactor”. ANS Math & Comp (M&C) 2021, Raleigh, NC. Published, 10/01/2021.
- K. Powell & M. Lund, M. Wang, Y. Qian, D. Magginetti, M. Reese, E. Cazalas, G. Sjoden, H. Yoon (2020). Photovoltaic Response of Thin-film CdTe Solar Cells under Accelerated Neutron Radiation in a TRIGA Reactor. Electronic Materials Conference. Published, 06/01/2020.
- M. Wang & G. Sjoden (2020). UUTR Unit Cell Calculations with PENTRAN (SN) and MCNP6 for Activation Foil Validation Studies. American Nuclear Society. Vol. 122, 695-698. Published, 06/01/2020.
Research. Perform research in deterministic and Monte Carlo radiation transport methods and computational numerical modeling in multiple disciplines, including parallel/high performance computing development, optimization, and integrated system simulation. Principal developer of the PENTRAN 3-D parallel deterministic particle radiation transport code. Related research interests include SNM/materials detection/monitoring, power generation, non-destructive testing, nuclear medicine, heat transfer, computational fluids. Authored numerous un/classified technical design/engineering reports for the US Government and others; served as a consultant to the Department of Homeland Security, national laboratories, US Government agencies, and industry on nuclear, forensics, and non-proliferation issues.
- Radiation Effects
- Nuclear Science and Technology
- Nuclear Materials Monitoring
- Nuclear Fuel Reprocessing
- Nuclear Explosion Detection
- Experimental Nuclear Reactors
- Environmental Effects (nuclear reactor)
- “BSOLVE: Energy Dependent Depletion with Algorithm-adapted Error Control for 3-D Transport”, Transactions of the ANS, Vol 125, 2021 ANS Winter Meeting, December (2021). Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 11/2021.
- G. Sjoden, “Radiation Transport Tools Supporting Computational Simulations in Nuclear Engineering at the University of Utah,” invited seminar, Ohio State University Nuclear Engineering, Columbus, OH, Feb. 18-19, 2020. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 02/19/2021.
- G. Sjoden, invited seminar, “Radiation Transport Simulations Supporting Non-Proliferation Studies,” National Nuclear Data Center, Brookhaven National Laboratory, Brookhaven, New York, Jan. 27-28, 2020. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 01/28/2020.
- G. Sjoden, "Radiation Transport Tools Supporting Computational Simulations in Nuclear Engineering at U. Utah", invited seminar, Georgia Institute of Technology Nuclear Engineering, Atlanta, GA, Jan. 16-17, 2020. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 01/17/2020.
- G. Sjoden (with UU Nuclear Faculty Cazalas and McDonald), invited presentation, University of Alaska-Fairbanks UARC, “Joint Partnership in Geophysical Detection of Nuclear Proliferation UARC,” in support of joining University Affiliated Research Center for the Department of Defense, Fairbanks, AK, Dec 6-7 2019. Other, Presented, 12/06/2019.
- G. Sjoden, presentation with Tara Mastren, “Utah TRIGA Reactor Isotope Generation Capabilities”, DOE Isotopes Fall 2019 Meeting, Department of Energy, Germantown, MD, Nov. 3-6, 2019. Other, Presented, 11/04/2019.
Research Equipment and Testing Expertise
- University of Utah TRIGA Reactor https://www.civil.utah.edu/utah-nuclear-engineering-program-triga-reactor-operations-nuclear-research-request/. Contact: G. Sjoden , 801-581-8874 , 110 Central Campus Dr, Rm 2000, SLC, Utah, 84112.
- French, basic.
- BSOLVE. Preliminary development of a 3-D burnup and depletion solver using RKF in an efficient algorithm with the PENTRAN code system to enable a 3-D time dependent burnup and depletion for nuclear fuels in any type of scenario or geometry. (This preliminary engine paved the way for full development completed by January 2021; publications are pending). Release Date: 01/07/2021. Inventors: G. Sjoden, V. Wang, N. Kurtyka.