- Lohani, M. & Payne, B. R., & Strayer, D. L. (2019). A review of psychophysiological measures to assess cognitive states in real-world driving. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience.
- Chit-Tegmark, M. & Lohani, M., & Scheutz, M. (2019). Gender effects in perceptions of robots and humans with varying emotional intelligence. Proceedings of ACM/IEEE International Conference on Human-Robot Interaction. Accepted, 01/11/2019.
- Lohani M., Payne B. & Isaacowitz D. (2018). Emotional coherence in early and later adulthood during sadness reactivity and regulation. Vol. 18, Emotion. 789-804.
- Biondi, F. & Lohani, M., Hopman, R., Mills, S., Cooper, J., & Strayer, D. (2018). 80 MPH and out-of-the-loop: Effects of real-world semi-automated driving on driver workload and arousal. Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting. Vol. 62, 1878-1882.
- Purcell J., Lohani M., Musket C., Hay A., Isaacowitz D. & Gruber J. (2018). Lack of emotional gaze preferences using eye-tracking in remitted bipolar I disorder. Vol. 6, International Journal of Bipolar Disorders.
- Lohani, M. & Stokes, C., Dashan, N., McCoy, M., Bailey, C. A., & Rivers, S. E. (2017). A framework for human-agent social systems: the role of non-technical factors in operation success. Proceedings of Advances in Human Factors in Robots and Unmanned Systems. Published, 12/31/2017.
- Leite, I., & McCoy, M., Lohani, M., Ullman, D., Salomons, N., Stokes, C., Rivers, S., & Scassellati, B. (2017). Affective narratives with robots: The impact of interaction context and individual differences on story recall and emotional understanding. Frontiers in Robotics and AI. Vol. 4.
- Lohani M., Stokes C., Oden K., Frazier S., Landers K., Craven P., Lawton D., McCoy M. & Macannuco D. (2017). The impact of non-technical skills on trust and stress. ACM/IEEE International Conference on Human-Robot Interaction. 191-192. Published, 03/06/2017.
- Fan L., Scheutz M., Lohani M., McCoy M. & Stokes C. (2017). Do we need emotionally intelligent artificial agents? First results of human perceptions of emotional intelligence in humans compared to robots. (pp. 129-141). Vol. 10498 LNAI, Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics). Published, 01/01/2017.
- Lohani, M. & Stokes, C., McCoy, M., Bailey, C. A., Joshi, A., & Rivers, S. E. (2016). Perceived role of physiological sensors impacts trust and reliance on robots. Proceedings of 25th IEEE International Symposium on Robot and Human Interactive Communication. Published, 08/31/2016.
- Leite, I. & McCoy, M., Lohani, M., Salomons, N., McElvaine, K., Stokes, C., Rivers, S., & Scassellati, B. (2016). Autonomous disengagement classification and repair in multiparty child-robot interaction. Proceedings of 25th IEEE International Symposium on Robot and Human Interactive Communication. 525-532. Published, 08/31/2016.
- Lohani, M. & Stokes, C., McCoy, M., Bailey, C. A., & Rivers, S. E. (2016). Social interaction moderates human-robot trust-reliance relationship and improves stress coping. Proceedings of 11th ACM/IEEE International Conference on Human-Robot Interaction. 471-472. Published, 03/15/2016.
- Oden, K. & Lohani, M., McCoy, M., Crutchfield, J., & Rivers, S. (2015). Embedding emotional intelligence into military training contexts. Procedia Manufacturing. Vol. 3, 4052-4059. Published, 12/31/2015.
- Leite, I. & McCoy, M., Lohani, M., Ullman, D., Salomons, N., Stokes, C., Rivers, S., & Scassellati, B. (2015). Emotional storytelling in the classroom: Individual versus group interaction between children and robots. Proceedings of 10th Annual ACM/IEEE International Conference on Human-Robot Interaction. 75-82. Published, 03/15/2015.
- Stanley, J. T. & Lohani, M., & Isaacowitz, D. M. (2014). Age-related differences in understanding socially inappropriate humor. Psychology and Aging. Vol. 29, 528-541.
- Lohani, M. & Isaacowitz, D. M. (2014). Age differences in managing response to sadness elicitors using attentional deployment, positive reappraisal, and suppression. Emotion. Vol. 28, 678–697.
- Lohani, M. & Gupta, R., & Srinivasan, N. (2013). Cross-cultural evaluation of the International Affective Picture System on an Indian sample. Psychological Studies. Vol. 58, 233-241. Published, 12/31/2013.
- Lohani, M. & Larcom, M. J., & Isaacowitz, D.M. (2013). Happier & older? Age-related effects on positive emotion. The Light and Dark Sides of Positive Emotion. Oxford University Press. Published, 12/31/2013.
- Noh, S. & Lohani, M., & Isaacowitz, D. (2011). Deliberate real-time mood regulation in adulthood: The importance of age, fixation and attentional functioning. Cognition & Emotion. Vol. 25, 998-1013.
- Srinivasan, N. & Srivastava, P., Lohani, M., & Baijal, S. (2008). Focused and distributed attention. Progress in Brain Research. Vol. 176, 87-100. Published, 12/31/2008.
Monika directs the Affective and Cognitive Regulation (ACR) Lab in the Department of Educational Psychology in the College of Education at the University of Utah. The ACR lab integrates basic and applied perspectives to understand effective regulation of affect and cognition in real-world contexts. Real-world contexts include, diverse social learning environments (e.g., emotionally distressing situation, daily stressors, and education and work settings) and applied cognition in health (e.g., promote medical adherence), driving (e.g., augment distraction and drowsiness), and military (e.g., effective human-machine interaction) contexts. Furthermore, ACR lab focuses on developing evidence-based interventions and utilizing technology to facilitate healthy self-regulation, psychological well-being, and performance.
- Affect Regulation
- Applied Cognition
- Human Factors
- Evidence-based Interventions
- Chit-Tegmark, Lohani, M., & Scheutz, M. (2019). Gender effects in perceptions of robots and humans with varying emotional intelligence. The 14th Annual ACM/IEEE International Conference on Human Robot Interaction, Daegu, South Korea. Presentation, Accepted, 01/12/2019.
- Payne, B.R., Silcox, J., Lash, A., Ferguson, S.H., & Lohani, M. (2018a). Text captioning reduces the effects of perceptual effort on speech memory. Annual Meeting of the Psychonomic Society, New Orleans, LA. Presentation, Presented, 11/16/2018.
- Biondi, F., Lohani, M., Hopman, R., Mills, S., Cooper, J., & Strayer, D. (2018). 80 MPH and out-of-the-loop: Effects of real-world semi-automated driving on driver workload and arousal. International Annual Meeting of Human Factors Ergonomic Society. Philadelphia, PA. Presentation, Presented, 10/04/2018.
- Payne, B.R., Silcox, J., Lash, A., Ferguson, S.H., & Lohani, M. (2018b). Assistive text captioning offsets the effects of background noise on speech memory and pupillometry. Academy of Rehabilitative Audiology, Pittsburgh, PA. Presentation, Presented, 09/30/2018.
- Human-Machine Social Systems Lab, Visiting Faculty. 07/01/2018 - present.
- Psychological flexibility in real-world: Toward an innovative psychophysiological approach. PI: Monika Lohani. Vice President for Research Incentive Seed Grant , 02/01/2019 - 01/31/2020. Total project budget to date: $9,444.00
- The effects of text captioning on neurocognitive workload of speech understanding. PI: Brennan Payne. Co-PI(s): Monika Lohani. Telecommunications Research and Development Grant by CaptionCall LLC., 02/01/2018 - present. Total project budget to date: $103,841.00
- A longitudinal training study to delineate the specific causal effects of open monitoring versus focused attention techniques on emotional regulation skills. PI: Lohani, Monika. 01/31/2013 - 12/30/2016. Total project budget to date: $15,000.00