Dr. Hummel research and operational focus is value-based healthcare delivery models, specifically measuring outcomes of care that matter to patients and families and the costs (to the system, payer, and patient) of achieving those outcomes. Additionally, Dr. Hummel works on quality improvement initiatives in the ICU and Heart Center.
- value-based healthcare
- pediatric critical care
- patient reported outcomes
- cost of care
- Congenital Heart Disease
- Hummel K, Michelson A, Zmora R, Ramirez J, de Ferrani S, Jenkins K, Saleeb S. Implementation and Identification of Barriers of the ICHOM CHD Standard Set in a Large Heart Center. International Consortium of Health Outcomes Measurement Conference. Boston MA, 2022. Poster, Accepted, 09/2022.
- Hummel K, Reichman J, Ludomirsky A, Alizadeh, Morell E, Blume E. Assessing Burden During the Chronic Phase of Congenital Heart Disease. American College of Cardiology. Washington DC, 2022. Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 05/2022.
- Hummel K, Ramirez J, Zmora R, Holm L, Martin G, Jenkins K, Saleeb S. The Development and Implementation of Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement in Congenital Heart Disease. American College of Cardiology Young Investigator Award Finalist (Oral Presentation). Washington DC, 2022. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 05/2022.
- Flaherty B, Hummel K, Vijayarajah S, White B, Larsen G. Evaluation of a Daily Pre-Round Huddle to Improve Knowledge of Safety and QI Projects. Society of Critical Care Congress, 2021 . Poster, Presented, 04/2021.
- Hummel K and White B, Sinnott J, Winder M, Wawrzynski S, Marrone T, Bailly D. Implementing transparent bedside benchmarks to reduce variation in care of post-operative CHD. Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Society Conference, 2020. Poster, Presented, 12/2020.
- Hummel K, Koduri S, Murphy R. Disseminating value education across a health systems’ graduate medical education programs: A pilot dashboard. Association of American Medical Colleges Integrating Quality Conference. Minneapolis MN, 2019. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 05/2019.
- Hummel K, Kadish H, Presson A, Larsen G, Olson L. Implementing a process for high-quality data collection to identify drivers of family satisfaction as a part of the value equation. International Consortium of Health Outcome Measures World Conference. Rotterdam, Netherlands, 2019. Poster, Presented, 05/2019.
- Bassett H, Beck J, Coller R, Flaherty B, Hummel K, Tchou M, Tiedt K, Walker L, Kapphahn K, Schroeder A. Costs of care during pediatric hospitalization: a multicenter survey on parental perspectives and predictors of financial distress. Pediatric Academic Societies. Baltimore MD, 2019. Presentation, Presented, 04/2019.
- Hummel K, Vijayrajah S, White B, Outsen S, Flaherty B. Developing a standard ICU-specific QI infrastructure by utilizing known process improvement tools. Society of Critical Care Medicine Quality Summit. San Diego CA, 2019. Poster, Presented, 01/2019.
- Hummel K, Kadish H, Presson A, Olson L. Clinical Drivers of Patient Satisfaction in the PICU. Society of Critical Care Medicine Congress, San Diego CA, 2019. (Oral Presentation). Presentation, Presented, 01/2019.
- Hummel K, White B, Gray R, Bailly D. When, Not If: Catastrophic Stroke in a Single Ventricle Patient. Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Society Conference, Miami FL, 2018. Poster, Presented, 12/2018.
- NEJM Catalyst Insights Council, Visiting Faculty. 07/01/2022 - present.
- Outcomes Subgroup of the Pediatric Acute Lung Injury and Sepsis Investigators (PALISI) Network, Other. 07/01/2020 - present.
- POST-PICU Investigators of the Pediatric Acute Lung Injury and Sepsis Investigators (PALISI) Network, Other. 07/01/2019 - present.
- Target Based Care Collaborative of the Cardiac Networks United Network, Visiting Faculty. 05/01/2019 - present.
- International Consortium of Health Outcomes Measurement, Visiting Faculty. 04/01/2019 - present.
- CoRe PCICS . PI: Venu Amula. 10/2022 - present.
- HRSA Enhancing Systems of Care for Children with Medical Complexity. PI: Rich Antonelli. 10/2022 - present.
- Implementation of PROs in congenital heart disease. PI: Kevin Hummel. Co-PI(s): Susan Saleeb, Kathy Jenkins. 01/2021 - present.
- Supporting Pediatric Research on Outcomes and Utilization of Telehealth, of the CARES grant. PI: Rich Antonelli. 01/2021 - 10/2021.
- Cumulative burden of congenital heart disease. PI: Kevin Hummel. Co-PI(s): Betsy Blume. 08/2020 - present.
- Value assessment in congenital heart disease. PI: Kevin Hummel. Co-PI(s): Nathalie Roy, Kshitij Mistry. 07/01/2020 - present.
- Clinical Effectiveness Collaborative in CHD: Target Based Care. PI: David Bailly. Co-PI(s): Ben White. 05/2019 - present.
- Core Outcomes Set (COS) for Pediatric Critical Care Medicine Research. PI: Ericka Fink. 01/2018 - 06/2020.
- Family Satisfaction in the PICU. PI: Kevin Hummel. Co-PI(s): Lenora Olson. 08/2017 - 01/2021.
- English, fluent.
- Neethi Pinto & Maddux, Aline B. MD, MSCS, et al. for the POST-PICU Investigators of the Pediatric Acute Lung Injury and Sepsis Investigators (PALISI) Network Core Outcomes Measurement Set Expert Panel (2022). A Core Outcome Measurement Set for Pediatric Critical Care. Pediatric Critical Care Medicine. Published, 08/2022.
- Brian Flaherty & Hummel K, Vijayarajah S, White BR, Outsen S, Larsen GY (2022). Improving Knowledge of Active Safety and QI Projects Amongst Practitioners in a Pediatric ICU. Pediatric Quality and Safety. Published, 06/2022.
- Faraz Alizadeh & Morell E, Hummel K, Wu Y, Wypij D, Matthew D, Esteso P, Moynihan K, Blume E. (2022). The Surprise Question as a Trigger for Primary Palliative Care Interventions for Children with Advanced Heart Disease. Pediatric Cardiology. Published, 04/2022.
- Hannah Bassett & Beck J, Coller RJ, Flaherty B, Tiedt KA, Hummel K, Tchou MJ, Kapphahn K, Walker L, Schroeder AR (2021). Parent Preferences for Transparency of Their Child’s Hospitalization Costs. JAMA Open. Published, 08/2021.
- Kevin Hummel & White B, Algaze C, Marrone T, Sinnott J, Wawrzynski S, Winder M, Bailly D (2021). Standardization without protocolization: Implementing transparent bedside benchmarks to reduce variation in postoperative care. NEJM Catalyst. Published, 05/2021.
- Kevin Hummel & Whittaker S, Sillett N, Basken A, Berghammer M, Chalela T, Chauhan J, Garcia-Benitez L, Hasan B, Jenkins K, Ladak L, Madsen N, March A, Pearson D, Schwartz S, St Louis J, van Beynum I, Verstappen A, Williams R, Zheleva B, Hom L, Martin G (2021). Care Planning and Coordinating Transitions from Inpatient to Outpatient Settings. Pediatric Care Coordination Curriculum: An Interprofessional Resource to Effectively Engage Patients and Families in Achieving Optimal Child Health Outcomes, 2nd Edition. Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Published, 02/2021.
- Kevin Hummel & Ou Z, Latchireddi A, Presson A, Tonna J (2021). Development of an international standard set of clinical and patient-reported outcomes for children and adults with congenital heart disease: A report from the International Consortium for Health Outcomes Measurement Congenital Heart Disease Working Group. European Heart Journal. Published, 02/2021.
- National Quality Forum (2020). National Quality Forum (NQF) Core Quality Measures Collaborative Implementation Guide. CMS. Published, 10/2020.
- Kevin Hummel & Presson A, Millar M, Larsen G, Kadish H, Olson L (2020). An assessment of clinical and system drivers of family satisfaction in the pediatric intensive care unit. Pediatric Critical Care Medicine. Published, 09/2020.
- Michael Jin & Jackson C, AlAbdulKadar AM, Hummel K, Kott J, Nguyen O, Rostami S, Kim SY (2020). American College of Medical Quality COVID-19 Resident and Fellow Survey. American Journal of Medical Quality. Published, 09/2020.
- Kevin Hummel (2020). Analyzing clinical and system drivers of satisfaction in the intensive care unit as a component of high quality care. Heart and Lung. Published, 08/2020.
- Kevin Hummel (2020). Using a structured quality improvement process to generate high-quality family satisfaction data. American Journal of Medical Quality. Published, 07/2020.
- Hannah Bassett & Beck, Coller, Flaherty B, Hummel K, Tchou, Tiedt, Walker, Schroeder A (2020). Financial difficulties in families of hospitalized children. Journal of Hospital Medicine. Published, 06/2020.
- Kevin Hummel & Glotzbach K, Griffiths E, Lal A (2020). Thrombotic microangiopathy after heart transplant in Danon disease. Pediatric Transplantation. Published, 04/2020.
- Neethi Pinto & POST-PICU and PICU-COS Investigators of the PALISI Network (2020). Post-discharge outcome domains in pediatric critical care and the instruments used to evaluate them: a scoping review. Critical Care Medicine. Published, 03/2020.
- Kevin Hummel (2020). Congenital Heart Disease Standard Set Data Collection Reference Guide: International Consortium of Health Outcomes Measurement. Version 1.0.0. [Website/Blog]. Published, 02/2020.
- Neethi Pinto & POST-PICU and PICU-COS Investigators of the (2020). Development of a core outcome set for pediatric critical care outcomes research. Contemporary Clinical Trials. Published, 01/2020.
- Kevin Hummel & Presson A, Millar M, Larsen G, Kadish H, Olson L (2019). Clinical Drivers and Predictors of Family Satisfaction in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit. Critical Care Medicine. Published, 02/2019.
- Erin Bennett & Hummel K, Smith AG, Longo N (2018). Acute Presentation and Management of the Encephalopathic Child with an Undiagnosed Inborn Error of Metabolism. Journal of Emergency Medicine. Published, 10/2018.
- Kevin Hummel & Ransco, M (2018). What is “Service” In Healthcare? . [Website/Blog]. Published, 03/2018.
- Kevin Hummel & Gregory A, Desai N, Diamond (2016). Rhabdomyolysis in adolescent athletes. The Physician and Sportsmedicine. Published, 07/2016.
- Kevin Hummel & Johnson DP (2016). Training to do less in a culture of more. [Website/Blog]. Published, 05/2016.
- Hersh Goel & Landman N, Cortese D, Smoldt RK, Hummel K (2014). A Guide to Implementing High-Value Healthcare Delivery in Your Organization. Healthcare Transformation Institute. Published, 03/2014.
- Kevin Hummel & Mohler J, Clemens C (2014). Why Parents Use the Emergency Department During Evening Hours for Nonemergent Pediatric Care. Clinical Pediatrics. Published, 02/2014.
- Kevin Hummel & Klingensmith G, Chase HP (2012). The Increasing Onset of Type 1 Diabetes in Children. The Journal of Pediatrics. Published, 07/2012.