- Weidhaas J, Panaccione A, Bhattacharjee AS, Goel R, Anderson A & Acharya SP (2018). Whole community transcriptome of a sequencing batch reactor transforming 2,4-dinitroanisole (DNAN) and 3-nitro-1,2,4-triazol-5-one (NTO). Biodegradation. Vol. 29, 71-88. Published, 02/01/2018.
- Mantha S, Anderson A, Acharya SP, Harwood VJ & Weidhaas J (2017). Transport and attenuation of Salmonella enterica, fecal indicator bacteria and a poultry litter marker gene are correlated in soil columns. The Science of the total environment. Vol. 598, 204-212. Published, 11/15/2017.
- Weidhaas, J (2017). Engineering Student Self-Assessment of Performance in a Team Setting: Realism versus Fantasy. American Society of Engineering Education, Rocky Mountain Section Conference, September 22-23, Brigham Young University. Published, 09/22/2017.
- Li, KW, Weidhaas J, Lemonakis L, Khouryieh H, Stone M, Jones L & Shen C (2017). Microbiological quality and safety of fresh produce in West Virginia and Kentucky farmers’ markets and validation of a post-harvest washing practice with antimicrobials to inactivate Salmonella and Listeria monocytogenes. (pp. 101-108). Vol. 79. Food Control. Published, 09/01/2017.
- Bukhary S, Weidhaas J, Ansari K, Mahar RB, Pomeroy C, VanDerslice J, Burian S & Ahmad S (2017). Using Distributed Solar for Treatment of Drinking Water in Developing Countries. World Environmental and Water Resources Congress 2017. Vol. 2017, 264-276.
- Weidhaas J, Lin LS & Buzby K (2017). A case study for orphaned chemicals: 4-methylcyclohexanemethanol (MCHM) and propylene glycol phenyl ether (PPH) in riverine sediment and water treatment processes. The Science of the total environment. Vol. 574, 1396-1404. Published, 01/01/2017.
- Deng D, Weidhaas JL & Lin LS (2016). Kinetics and microbial ecology of batch sulfidogenic bioreactors for co-treatment of municipal wastewater and acid mine drainage. Journal of hazardous materials. Vol. 305, 200-208. Published, 10/01/2016.
- Weidhaas JL, Dietrich AM, DeYonker NJ, Ryan Dupont R, Foreman WT, Gallagher D, Gallagher JE, Whelton AJ & Alexander WA (2016). Enabling Science Support for Better Decision-Making when Responding to Chemical Spills. Journal of environmental quality. Vol. 45, 1490-1500. Published, 10/01/2016.
- Weidhaas J, Lin LS, Buzby K & Li X (2016). Biodegradation of MCHM and PPH in river microcosms and activated sludge. Vol. 142. Journal of Environmental Engineering.
- Nayak B, Weidhaas J & Harwood VJ (2016). LA35 Poultry Fecal Marker Persistence Is Correlated with That of Indicators and Pathogens in Environmental Waters. Applied and environmental microbiology. Vol. 81, 4616-25. Published, 03/01/2016.
- Weidhaas J, Mantha S, Hair E, Nayak B & Harwood VJ (2015). Evidence for extraintestinal growth of bacteroidales originating from poultry litter. Applied and environmental microbiology. Vol. 81, 196-202. Published, 08/01/2015.
- Richard T & Weidhaas J (2015). Biodegradation of IMX-101 explosive formulation constituents: 2,4-dinitroanisole (DNAN), 3-nitro-1,2,4-triazol-5-one (NTO), and nitroguanidine. (pp. 372-9). Vol. 280. Journal of hazardous materials. Published, 07/01/2015.
- Richard T & Weidhaas J (2015). Dissolution, sorption, and phytoremediation of IMX-101 explosive formulation constituents: 2,4-dinitroanisole (DNAN), 3-nitro-1,2,4-triazol-5-one (NTO), and nitroguanidine. (pp. 561-9). Vol. 280. Journal of hazardous materials. Published, 07/01/2015.
- Li X, Harwood VJ, Nayak B, Staley C, Sadowsky MJ & Weidhaas J (2015). A novel microbial source tracking microarray for pathogen detection and fecal source identification in environmental systems. Environmental science & technology. Vol. 49, 7319-29. Published, 05/27/2015.
- Blanch A, Ballesté E, Weidhaas J, Domingo J, Ryu H, Harwood V, Yates. 2015. Methods of Targeting Animal Sources of Fecal Pollution in Water, p 3.4.4-1-3.4.4-28. In Yates M, Nakatsu C, Miller R, Pillai S (ed), Manual of Environmental Microbiology, Fourth Edition. ASM Press, Washington, DC. doi: 10.1128/9781555818821.ch3.4.4. Published, 05/2015.
- Weidhaas J, Garner E, Basden T & Harwood VJ (2014). Run-off studies demonstrate parallel transport behaviour for a marker of poultry fecal contamination and Staphylococcus aureus. Journal of applied microbiology. Vol. 117, 417-29. Published, 11/01/2014.
- Weidhaas J & Lipscomb E (2014). A new method for tracking poultry litter in the Potomac Basin headwaters of West Virginia. Journal of applied microbiology. Vol. 115, 445-54. Published, 02/01/2014.
- Weidhaas J & Dupont RR (2013). Aerobic biotransformation of N-nitrosodimethylamine and N-nitrodimethylamine in methane and benzene amended soil columns. Journal of contaminant hydrology. Vol. 150, 45-53. Published, 10/01/2013.
- Swift, D.L., J. Rothermel, L. Peterson, B. Orr, G. Bures, J. Weidhaas, 2012, Remediating TCE‐contaminated groundwater in low‐permeability media using hydraulic fracturing to emplace zero‐valent iron/organic carbon amendment, Remediation Journal, 22(2): 49-67, DOI: 10.1002/rem.21310. Published, 03/01/2012.
- Weidhaas JL, Macbeth TW, Olsen RL & Harwood VJ (2011). Correlation of quantitative PCR for a poultry-specific brevibacterium marker gene with bacterial and chemical indicators of water pollution in a watershed impacted by land application of poultry litter. Applied and environmental microbiology. Vol. 77, 2094-102. Published, 06/01/2011.
- Weidhaas JL, Macbeth TW, Olsen RL, Sadowsky MJ, Norat D & Harwood VJ (2011). Identification of a Brevibacterium marker gene specific to poultry litter and development of a quantitative PCR assay. Journal of applied microbiology. Vol. 109, 334-47. Published, 03/01/2011.
- Weidhaas JL, Schroeder ED & Chang DP (2007). An aerobic sequencing batch reactor for 2,4,6-trinitrophenol (picric acid) biodegradation. Biotechnology and bioengineering. Vol. 97, 1408-14. Published, 09/01/2007.
Dr. Weidhaas’ research and teaching interests include environmental engineering with a particular emphasis on biological processes and the fate and transport of contaminants and microorganisms in the environment. Her recent projects include evaluation of emerging contaminants in environmental systems, chemical spills impacting water resources and bioremediation of hazardous materials. She also conducts research in the area of environmental microbiology including microbial source tracking, development of massively parallel pathogen detection methods, and evaluation of microorganism fate in environmental systems.
- Water Quality
- Water Pollution
- Waste Water Treatment
- Sanitary Engineering, Environmental
- Microbial Source Tracking
- Human Pathogens
- Hazardous Waste Disposal or Clean-Up
- Environmental Microbiology
- Environmental Engineering
- Chemical spill prevention and response
- Weidhaas, JL, 2017, Engineering Student Self-Assessment of Performance in a Team Setting: Realism versus Fantasy, ASEE Rocky Mountain Section Conference, September 22-23, Provo, Utah.
Conference Paper, Refereed,
- Weidhaas, JL, A. Anderson, R. Jamal, 2017, High density sampling of pathogenic microbial community in a fecally impaired watershed, International Water Association, May 15-19, Chapel Hill, NC. Other, Presented, 05/17/2017.
- Weidhaas, JL, A. Panaccione, A. Anderson, S. Proudel Acharya, 2016, Sequencing batch reactor for biotransformation of 2,4-dinitroanisole (DNAN) and 3-nitro-1,2,4-triazol-5-one (NTO), Society for Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology, July 24-28, New Orleans, LA (Invited Speaker). Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 07/2016.
- Weidhaas, JL, X. Li, VJ Harwood, 2015, A Novel Microbial Source Tracking Microarray for Pathogen Detection and Fecal Source Identification in Environmental Systems, American Chemical Society National Meeting and Exposition, August 16-20th, Boston, MA . Other, Presented, 08/2015.
- Weidhaas, JL, T Richard, 2015, Environmental Fate and Transport of a New Military Explosive, IMX-101, Third International Symposium on Bioremediation and Sustainable Environmental Technologies, May 18-21, Miami, FL (Invited Speaker). Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 05/2015.
- Solo-Gabriele, H.M., Harwood, V.J., Ferguson, A., Byrne, A., Mena, K.D., Becker, A., Omachonu, V., Axelrad, D.M., Beamer, P., Buckley, B., Bursac, B., Canales, R., DiGiovanni, G.D., Dutton, M., Elmir, S., Gurian, P., Hollenbeck, J., Johnson, L., Kirkpatrick, B., Klaus, J., Lopez, I., Mormann, M., Plano, L.W., Rodriguez, R.A., Sadowsdky, M., Shalat, S., Solo-Josephson, P., Studts, J.L., Suther, S., Tarwater, P., Weidhaas, J., Wright, A., 2015. Approach for Improved Public Health Guidance for Beach Use During and After Oil Spills. Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill & Ecosystem Science Conference. February 16-19, Houston, TX. Other, Presented, 02/2015.
- Mantha, SK, J. Weidhaas, 2014, A poultry litter marker gene correlates with pathogen and fecal indicator bacteria deposition, growth and transport from poultry bedding, West Virginia Academy of Science Conference, April 12, Shepardstown, WV. Other, Presented, 04/2014.
- Weidhaas, J., T. Richard, 2013, Phytoremediation and Biodegradation of a new military explosive, IMX-101, ASCE Environmental Water Research Institute Conference, May 20-24, Cincinnati, OH. Other, Presented, 05/2013.
- Weidhaas, J., P.W. Gautam, 2013, Spatial relationship between the trichloroethylene degrading bacteria Dehalococcoides sp., sulfate reducers and methanogens during reductive dechlorination, ASCE Environmental Water Research Institute Conference, May 20-24, Cincinnati, OH. Other, Presented, 05/2013.
- Weidhaas, J., E. Lipscomb, 2013, Tracking Poultry Litter Contamination in the WV Potomac River Headwaters, ASCE Environmental Water Research Institute Conference, May 20-24, Cincinnati, OH. Other, Presented, 05/2013.
- Weidhaas, J.L., 2013, Advances in the Use of Molecular Biological Tools for Site Investigation and Monitoring: An ITRC Perspective, RemTech Summit, March 5, Denver, CO. Other, Presented, 03/2013.
- Richard, T, J. Weidhaas, 2012, Adsorption and bioremediation of explosive compound: IMX‑101 and constituents, West Virginia Academy of Science and the West Virginia Science, Technology and Research, April 12, Institute, WV. Other, Presented, 04/2012.
- Wagle-Gautam, P, J. Weidhaas, 2012, Spatial relationship between the trichloroethylene degrading bacteria Dehalococcoides sp., sulfate reducers and methanogens during the reductive dechlorination process, West Virginia Academy of Science and the West Virginia Science, Technology and Research, April 12, Institute, WV. Other, Presented, 04/2012.
- McKinley Olsen, Graduate Student. Civil and Environmental Engineering. 08/15/2017 - present.