- IEEE Power Engineering Letters. Associate Editor. 08/2017 - present
- IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid. Associate Editor. 09/2016 - present
- IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, Special Issue on Power Grid Resilience. Guest Editor. 10/2015 - 10/2016
- IET Renewable Power Generation. Associate Editor. 01/01/2018 - present
- IET Renewable Power Generation. Special Issue on Demand Side Management and Market Design for Renewable Energy Support and Integration, Guest Editor. 01/01/2018 - present
- IEEE Innovative Smart Grid Technology (ISGT) Conference. Technical Committee Member. 08/10/2017 - 02/20/2019
- IEEE Power and Energy Society (PES). Chair, IEEE PES Utah Chapter. 01/01/2016 - present
- IEEE Power and Energy Society (PES). Role: Vice-Chair. Bulk Power Systems Operation Subcommittee. 08/01/2017 - 12/31/2019
- IEEE Power and Energy Society (PES). Role: Vice-Chair. Reliability, Risk and Probability Applications (RRPA) Subcommittee. 01/01/2018 - 12/31/2020
- IEEE Power and Energy Society (PES). Role: Secretary. Reliability, Risk and Probability Applications (RRPA) Subcommittee. 07/2014 - 12/31/2017
- IEEE Power and Energy Society (PES). Role: Chair. Task Force on Reliability Impacts of Demand Response Integration (RIDRI). 07/2012 - present
- International Conference on Smart Cities - Challenges & Opportunities (ICSC2k16), Chennai, India. Advisory Committee Member. 01/06/2016 - 01/08/2016
- IEEE International Conference on Smart Grid Communications (SmartGridComm 2015), Miami, FL. Technical Program Committee Member. 11/02/2015 - 11/05/2015
- IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting 2015, Denver, CO. Chair, Technical Panel on "Demand Response for Reliable Integration of Variable Renewable Energy". 07/26/2015 - 07/30/2015
- Third International Workshop on Internet of Things, Machine to Machine and Smart Services Application (IoT2015), Atlanta, FL. Technical Program Committee Member. 06/01/2015 - 06/05/2015
- IEEE International Conference on Smart Grid Communications (SmartGridComm 2016), Sydney, Australia. Technical Program Committee Member. 02/15/2016 - 10/31/2016
- The Internet of Things (IoT) Global Innovation Forum (http://www.iotglobalforum.com). Role: Member. Technical Program Committee . 01/01/2017 - 06/29/2017
- IEEE Power and Energy Society Student Chapter at the University of Utah. Faculty Advisor. 08/16/2016 - present
- IEEE Power and Energy Society. Role: Chair. Reliability, Risk and Probability Applications (RRPA) Subcommittee. 01/01/2021 - present
- IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy. Associate Editor. 01/01/2021 - present
- IEEE Transactions on Power Systems. Associate Editor. 01/01/2021 - present
- IEEE Power and Energy Society. Role: Chair. Bulk Power System Operation Subcommittee . 01/01/2020 - present
- IEEE Innovative Smart Grid Technology (ISGT) Conference. Chair, Publication Committee. 03/01/2019 - present
- Center for Ecological Planning and Design. Steering Committee Member, 08/01/2019 - present. University service.
- ECE Graduate Committee. Member, 08/01/2019 - 06/30/2020. Department service.
- Presidential Climate Commitment Task Force. Member, 07/01/2019 - present. University service.
- The University of Utah President's Energy Team. Member, 08/10/2017 - 06/30/2018. University service.
Honors & Awards
- Outstanding Associate Editor Award, IEEE Open Access Journal of Power and Energy. IEEE, 12/30/2022
- Presidential Scholar Recognition for 2020-2023. University of Utah, 08/01/2020
- 2019 Faculty Recognition Award. University of Utah, Career and Professional Development Center , 04/17/2019
- Engineering Educator of the Year Award. Utah Engineers Council, 02/24/2018
- Outstanding Educator Award. IEEE Utah Section, 09/2017
- Distinguished Service Award. IEEE Utah Section, 12/2016
- Best Reviewer Award, IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid. IEEE, 01/01/2016
- Postdoctoral Entrepreneur Award. Arizona State University, 06/01/2015
- Outstanding Research Achievement Award. Sharif University of Technology, 09/01/2013
- University of Utah (U of U), Assistant Professor, 07/2015 - present
- Arizona State University (ASU), Postdoctoral Scholar, 01/2015 - 07/2015
- University of California Davis (UC Davis), Postdoctoral Scholar, 01/2014 - 12/2014
- Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT), Research Associate, 06/2012 - 06/2013
U-Smart: Utah Smart Energy Lab
In the Media
- Rewarding professionals: Parvania Receives 2019 Faculty Recognition Award. 04/22/2019. https://attheu.utah.edu/facultystaff/rewarding-pro...
- U Receives Funding for Power Grid Research. 04/14/2019. https://dailyutahchronicle.com/2019/04/14/u-receiv...
- ENHANCING POWER SUPPLY RESILIENCE TO FIRST RESPONDERS. 04/02/2019. https://unews.utah.edu/enhancing-power-supply-resi...
- Department of Energy Selects $36 Million to Advance Solar Energy Integration. 03/25/2019. https://www.energy.gov/articles/department-energy-...
- U. engineer receives $2M grant to create smarter, faster tech in case of power outages. 05/22/2018. https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900019366/u-en...
- Power To The People. 05/22/2018. https://unews.utah.edu/power-to-the-people/
- PARVANIA RECEIVES EDUCATOR OF THE YEAR AWARD. 02/28/2018. https://www.coe.utah.edu/2018/02/28/parvania-recei...
- THE SCIENCE BEHIND LIVE ELECTRIC. 02/20/2018. https://www.liveelectric.org/updates/uncategorized...
- OE Invests in Early Stage Research to Address Wholesale Market Operations, Transmission System Design and Demand-Side Participation. 08/07/2017. https://www.energy.gov/oe/articles/oe-invests-earl...
- Electric Avenue: U.S. Energy Department Gives $4 Million Grant to Develop Electric Corridors on Utah, Wyoming and Idaho Highways. 01/18/2017. https://www.rockymountainpower.net/about/nr/nr2017...
- GRANT AIMS TO ACCELERATE UTAH’S ENERGY SOLUTIONS THROUGH UNIVERSITY COLLABORATION AND STUDENT INNOVATION. 01/13/2017. http://energy.utah.gov/grant-aims-accelerate-utahs...