Honors & Awards
- Excellence in Refereeing Award. Journal of Accounting Research, 06/2022
- Brady Faculty Superior Teaching Award. David Eccles School of Business, 05/2022
- Excellence in Refereeing Award. Journal of Accounting Research, 06/2021
- Kenneth J. Hanni Teaching Award. David Eccles School of Business, 05/2021
- Outstanding Reviewer Award from The Accounting Review. American Accounting Association, 08/2020
- Brady Faculty Superior Teaching Award. David Eccles School of Business, 05/2017
- Doctoral Faculty Teaching Excellence Award . David Eccles School of Business, 05/01/2016
- Received the AAA/Deloitte Wildman Award for the publication with the most significant contribution to the practice of accounting. 08/2009
- Received the Weatherspoon Award for Excellence in MAC Teaching. 05/2009
In the Media
- Research discussed in Financial Times article, "The volatility laundering, return manipulation and ‘phoney happiness’ of private equity". 11/02/2022. https://www.ft.com/content/d20a750b-9544-4927-88a4...
- Research discussed in AdWeek article. "What Happens When You’re Defensive and Dismissive". 06/17/2020.
- Research discussed on Corporate Board Member website article. "When Lack Of A Red Flag Is A Red Flag". 03/05/2020.
- Research discussed in CFO Magazine. "Don’t Discount Secondhand Whistleblower Reports". 02/07/2020.
- Research discussed in National Law Review. "Secondhand Whistleblower Reports are More Valuable, Study Finds". 01/15/2020.
- Research discussed in Deseret News editorial "Guest opinion: The real cost of impeachment? Discouraging future whistleblowers". 11/21/2019. https://www.deseret.com/opinion/2019/11/21/2097604...
- Research discussed on Columbia Law School's Blue Sky Blog "Are Secondhand Internal Whistleblowing Reports Credible?". 11/18/2019. https://clsbluesky.law.columbia.edu/2019/11/18/are...
- Research discussed in National Whistleblower Center article "Study: Secondhand whistleblower reports are reliable". 11/14/2019. https://www.whistleblowersblog.org/2019/11/article...
- Research discussed in Radical Compliance article "Study: Second-Hand Reports More Reliable". 11/01/2019. http://www.radicalcompliance.com/2019/11/01/study-...
- Research cited in Radical Compliance article "Sharp(ie) Insights Into Speakup Culture". 09/08/2019. http://www.radicalcompliance.com/2019/09/08/sharpi...
- Research cited in European CEO article: Whistle while you work: the benefits of corporate whistleblowing. 02/25/2019. https://www.europeanceo.com/business-and-managemen...
- Interviewed for HR Executive's article: "Are Whistleblowers Good for Your Company?". 01/03/2019. http://hrexecutive.com/are-whistleblowers-good-for...
- Research cited in Forbes magazine article: "Meet America's New regulator: Adam Smith". 12/31/2018.
- Research subject of CNBC article: "Whistleblowers ultimately help their companies perform better, a new study shows". 11/24/2018. https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/23/whistleblowers-ult...
- The Accounting Review. Editor. 08/01/2023 - present
- Financial Accounting and Reporting Section of the AAA. President. 08/2022 - present
- British Accounting Review. Associate Editor. 08/2022 - present
- Review of Accounting Studies. Editorial Board. 07/01/2021 - present
- Financial Accounting and Reporting Section of the AAA. President-Elect. 07/01/2021 - 07/31/2022
- American Accounting Association. Role: Chair. New Faculty Consortium Planning Committee. 07/2019 - 03/2021
- Financial Accounting Standards Board. Role: Chair. FASB/IASB Financial Reporting Issues Conference. 12/01/2016 - 01/07/2018
- Journal of Business Finance & Accounting. Editorial Board. 05/01/2016 - present
- Journal of Financial Reporting. Editorial Board. 04/2015 - present
- Accounting Horizons. Editorial Board. 01/2015 - 06/30/2021
- The Accounting Review. Editorial Board. 05/2014 - 05/2023
- Accounting PhD Program coordinator. 05/2014 - 08/2019. Department service.