- Keynote speaker, workshop leader, as an invited guest to Michigan State University. Contact: Johannes Bauer. 1/29-2/1/18. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 02/01/2018.
- Playing Around with Serious Games in the Health Sciences Education. Workshop for 4th Annual Education Symposium: Enhancing Quality of Health Sciences Education. University of Utah’s Academy of Health Sciences Educators’ Annual Symposium. September 28, 2017. Co-taught with Tallie Cassucci and Erin Wimmer*. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 09/28/2017.
- Keynote speaker for PM&R Grand Rounds. "Digital Medicine: Apple, The GApp Lab, and the U." 9/6/2017 at University of Utah HSEB 2680. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 09/06/2017.
- Guest Lecture for Foundations in Personalized Healthcare – 3/20/2017 "The Role of Gaming in Personalized Healthcare" – At the request of Will Dere PhD, Professor of Internal Medicine. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 03/20/2017.
- Park City Rotary Club - at behest of Denise Begue and John Langell of the Center for Medical Innovation for promotion of The GApp Lab and its projects. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 12/13/2016.
- Forthcoming: Shipman JP, Casucci T, Altizer RA, Zagal JP. Shhh! A Library and an Innovation Center Unite! Poster for VentureWell 21 st Annual Open Conference. Washington DC, March 24-25, 2017. Other, Submitted, 12/01/2016.
- Wimmer EN, Casucci T, Altizer R. Playing Around with Serious Games and Gamification in Health Sciences Education. 75-minute Workshop for University of Utah’s Academy of Health Sciences Educators Symposium, Salt Lake City, Utah. September 28, 2017. Other, Submitted, 12/01/2016.
- MLA Keynote speaker for Merge & Converge conference in Des Moines, Iowa. Oct. 22-24 2016. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 10/22/2016.
- Altizer RA, Casucci T, Shipman JP. Virtually Team Teaching: VR and Serious Games as an Experimental Class by Games Faculty and Librarians. Poster for Merge & Converge: Sixteen in ’16, the Joint Meeting of the Midwest and Midcontinental Chapters of MLA. Des Moines, Iowa, October 21-25, 2016. Other, Presented, 10/22/2016.
- Casucci T, Shipman JP, Altizer RA, Zagal JP. Shhh! We’re Making Games in the Library and You Can Too. Poster for 1st International Joint Conference of DiGRA and FDG, Dundee, Scotland, August 1-6, 2016. Other, Presented, 08/01/2016.
- Altizer, R. (2007) When Play Becomes Work, Research in the Videogame World of Warcraft. Presented at the Association of Internet Researchers conference 8.0, Vancouver, Canada. Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 01/01/2015.
- Altizer, R. (2014) University of Utah, School of Dentistry, “Good Games?”, invited lecture. October 22, 2014. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 10/22/2014.
- Altizer, R. (2014) Starting a Second Generation Games Program. - Invited talk for GAME U at Indiecade. Culver City, CA, October 12, 2014. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 10/12/2014.
- Kessler, R., Altizer, R., Blackburn, J., Bartholomew, M., van Langeveld, M. (2014) “Graphics and Games in Utah,” Utah Technology Through Time, the 62nd annual Utah State History Conference, September 26, 2014. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 09/26/2014.
- Altizer, R., Shipman, J.P., McIntyre, M. (2014) Medical and Therapeutic Games. Panel Presentation for Salt Lake Comic Con, Salt Palace Convention Center, Utah, September 6, 2014. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 09/06/2014.
- ltizer, R., van Langeveld, M., Zagal, J.P. (2014) Defense GameTech User’s Conference, “Games and Simulations”, September 4, 2014, Orlando. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 09/04/2014.
- Casucci T, Shipman JP, Altizer R. (2014) Unravelling Medical Game Research: Informing players of foundational evidence. Presentation for Digital Games Research Association (DiGRA) Conference, Snowbird, Utah, August 5, 2014 . Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 08/05/2014.
- Casucci T, Shipman JP, Altizer R, Langell JT. (2014) Revolutionizing Game Creation Partners: Healthcare professionals, including librarians, and game scholars unite. Presentation for Digital Games Research Association (DiGRA) Conference, Snowbird, Utah, August 4, 2014 . Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 08/04/2014.
- Thomas, C., Akers, J., Altizer, R. (2014) Moderator, Fantasy Con, “Game Music”, July 3, 2014 . Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 07/03/2014.
- Altizer, R. (2013) College of Engineering Lunch, “Design Box” June 25, 2014. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 06/25/2014.
- Altizer, R. (2014) USC, Invited Speaker, “Transmedia Storytelling: Disney Infinity”. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 06/01/2014.
- Altizer, R., Consalvo, M. (2014) Feature Creep or Essential Mechanics? Top Twenty Things Game Development Programs Should be Doing Outside the Classroom. Game Developers Conference (GDC), San Francisco, CA March 2013. Rated in the top 1% of all Education Summit Speakers and in the top 5% of all speakers in the conference. Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 03/03/2014.
- Altizer, R., Kessler, R., Zagal, J.P. (2014) 63rd Annual Frederick W. Reynolds Lecture, “A Grown-Up Conversation About Games: Mind, Body, and Soul”, University of Utah, February 10, 2014. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 02/10/2014.
- Altizer, R. (2014) New University Scholars Invited Lecture Serious, Games? - Presented to the Block U New University Scholars on medical games and apps as well as the digital humanities . Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 01/01/2014.
- Altizer, R., Kessler, R., Zagal, J.P. (2013) University of Utah - Digital Medical Therapeutics Seminar, “Games for Health”, October 29, 2013. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 10/29/2013.
- Digital Medical Therapeutics: Exploring the power of video games and apps to transform disease treatment, health maintenance, and clinical training (7 presentations). Eccles Auditorium, Huntsman Cancer Institute. Invited talk on "Games and the Body" Invited by John Langell, Executive Director, Center For Medical Innovation, Office Of Sr Vp Health Sci, University of Utah. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 10/28/2013.
- Going to School for Games - The U of U Panel. 2013 SALT LAKE COMIC CON SEPTEMBER 5-7 AT THE SALT PALACE CONVENTION CENTER. http://saltlakecomiccon.com/. 09/07/2013 - 09/07/2013 .
- Video Game History, Panelist. 2013 SALT LAKE COMIC CON SEPTEMBER 5-7 AT THE SALT PALACE CONVENTION CENTER. http://saltlakecomiccon.com/. 09/07/2013 - 09/07/2013 .
- ltizer, R., Hayes, P. and Hayes, R., Zagal, J.P. (2013) Salt Lake Comic Con, “History and Culture of Videogames” September 7, 2013. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 09/07/2013.
- The Intersection of Video Games and Patient Empowerment: case study of a real world application. Craig Caldwell; Carol Bruggers; Roger Altizer; Greg Bulaj; Troy D'Ambrosio; Robert Kessler. IE'2013, September 30 - October 01 2013, Melbourne, VIC, Australia Copyright 2013 ACM 978-1-4503-2254-6/13/09 http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/2513002.2513018. Article, Refereed Conference Proceedings, Published, 09/2013.
Conference Paper, Refereed,
- Power Ups: Iconography in Digital Games: Chess, O’Donnell, Soderman, Altizer - Digital Games Research Association (DiGRA), 08/2013, Atlanta Georgia.
Conference Paper, Refereed,
- Altizer, R. Chess, S., O'Donnell, C. (2013) Coins, Stars, and Hearts. To be presented at the Digital Games Research Association (DiGRA) conference in Atlanta. Other, Presented, 08/01/2012.
- Video Games: Where Technology Meets Art - Marriott Library Lecture Series
Serious, games? How games are changing the future of science, medicine, and the academy / Roger Altizer, design and production track director.
- GEEX 2011 - Game Design 101.
- 2011. Paul, C., Altizer, R., Chen, M., Dutton, N., Harper, T., and Kelly, S. We study games… professionally: Academic research and game studies. Penny Arcade Expo (PAX Prime), Seattle, WA. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 08/2011.
- Games, Learning, and Society 7.0. Madison, WI. Microsoft’s “Game Content Usage Rules:” Legal Slight of Hand or Modders' Bill of Rights?, Roger Alan Altizer, Jr., Matt Anderson, Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 06/15/2011.
Conference Paper, Refereed,
- Association of Internet Researchers 11. Gothenburg, Sweden. Sustaining Participation Through Citation, or Gaming Attribution, Roger Alan Altizer, Jr.
Conference Paper, Refereed,
- Altizer, R. (2009) Closing the Door and Opening the Hood on the PS3 and Convergence. Presented at the Association of Internet Researchers conference 10.0, Milwaukee, WI. Other, Presented, 01/01/2009.
- Altizer, R. (2008) For a Pound of Virtual Flesh: Tales of Trade in the World of Warcraft. Presented at the Association of Internet Researchers conference 9.0, Copenhagen, Denmark. Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 01/01/2008.
- Altizer, R., Hasian, M. (2006) Critiquing the Discourse of Unlimited Presidential War Powers. Presented at the National Communication Association Convention, San Antonio, TX . Other, Presented, 01/01/2006.
- Altizer, R. (2004) Passionately Held Questions about Teaching and Learning: What are the Unique Contributions of Technology to Teaching Communication? Panel Discussion for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning section presented at the National Communication Association Convention, Chicago, IL . Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 02/01/2004.
- Bjorn Marklund, Visiting Faculty. 10/25/2016 - 08/01/2017.
- Lauri Linder, Research Professor. College of Nursing. 01/01/2016 - present.
- Support Groove. Support Groove is software designed to help partners of those with spinal cord injuries. Release Date: 08/22/2017. Inventors: Jackie Tyne-Einerson, Alexandra Terrill, Justin Mackenzie, Maija Reblin, Roger Altizer.
- VirtuaLimb. A virtual reality game for amputees to use a virtual/augmented limb to perform tasks. Release Date: 08/21/2017. Inventors: Chris Duncan, Greg Clark, Stephen Trapp.
- GABEE. GABEE is an avatar-based survey system with a dynamic back end that can be adapted to different medical conditions and patient populations. Release Date: 08/01/2017. Inventors: Erin Rothwell, Erin Johnson, Bob Wong, Kim Kaphingst, Jeff Botkin, Neli Ulrich.
- Virtual HomeSim. A tool to be used by the College of Social work wherein trainees are able to virtually explore homes to prepare them for real-world social work. Release Date: 05/22/2017. Inventors: Chad McDonald, Matt Davis, Roger Altizer.
- Of Mice & Meadows. A game for the Natural History Museum of Utah to teach patrons about animals and ecosystems. Release Date: 01/09/2017. Inventors: Becky Menlove, Lisa Thompson, Tim Lee.
- Embody. Embody is a weight management game for the Microsoft HoloLens. It invites users to create avatars of themselves and then compare with photos to help understand body image and diagnose potential body image issues. Release Date: 12/01/2016. Inventors: Julia Franklin.
- E-ops. “E-Ops” is an Emergency operations App that helps facilitate and triangulate emergency responses across the university of Utah Hospital while giving priority to color coded threat levels. Release Date: 12/01/2016. Inventors: Gordon Crabtree/Philip Chaffee.
- ARUP App. Our project is to improve the current user interface that the ARUP lab uses. While clinicians already have organized access to patient CMR reports, the system's UI has easy to miss points that could be overlooked, which ultimately results in doctors giving their patients the wrong information. Release Date: 12/01/2016. Inventors: Brian Jackson.
- MoleShare. A web-app developed to help people do melanoma self-identification. With the app, you can take photos and share them to inquire public’s opinion on whether it is suspicious or not. Reviewers, doctors and volunteers, can “Hot or Not” the photos, and even tag the photos to give their opinion. Release Date: 12/01/2016. Inventors: Jakob Jensen.
- DinoLab. Dino Lab is a collaboration between EAE students and the Museum of Natural History. The goal of the game is to teach critical thinking in students ages 10-13. This is achieved by allowing them to build their own dinosaur and then testing their understanding of why their creation succeeded or failed. By thinking critically, students can beat the game without ever building a successful dinosaur as long as they understand why it failed. Release Date: 12/01/2016. Inventors: Madlyn Runburg.
- TetraWheelChair. Tetra's new project is a web application that allows spinal cord injury clinicians to monitor how well their patients perform necessary pressure relief exercises that help prevent pressure sores that develop from prolonged wheelchair usage. The injuries caused when these points of pressure aren't given frequent relief are an enormous expenditure to the healthcare industry. The only current solutions to help people track their regimens are expensive and not covered by most insurance. We aim to provide a simple, cheap alternative. Release Date: 12/01/2016. Inventors: Jeffrey Rosenbluth.
- Choreographish. This game is designed to help young adults with autism to think choreographically. Players are immersed in an underwater VR environment where they manipulate the paths of schooling fish to create personalized dances to their own music. Release Date: 12/01/2016. Inventors: Eric Handman.
- Meaning of Screaning. This app lets you explore the possible outcomes of cell-free DNA testing, otherwise known as non-invasive prenatal testing (NIPT). Release Date: 08/01/2016. Inventors: Erin Rothwell.
- TetraSki. A skiing game simulation developed for tetraplegic patients wanting to use the Tetra-Ski device. The software includes a customizable controller, which will allow a user to export their input settings to the actual tetra-ski chair or any other compatible device that uses joystick and/or sip & puff controls. Release Date: 08/01/2016. Inventors: Jeffrey Rosenbluth.
- TetraSail. A kayak game simulation developed for tetraplegic patients wanting to use the Tetra-Sail device. The software includes a customizable controller, which will allow a user to export their input settings to the actual tetra-kayak chair or any other compatible device that uses joystick and/or sip & puff controls. Release Date: 08/01/2016. Inventors: Jeffrey Rosenbluth.
- MediGarden. MediGarden is a mobile game that helps users remember to take their medications on time. As you follow your medication regimen,you acquire resources to take care of a virtual plant that grows and blossoms as you take care of your own health. Release Date: 05/01/2016.
- U-baby Fit. U Baby Fit is an EMR-integrated app that helps users track their weight gain during pregnancy, by also helping them track their walking activity and their eating habits. Users can take photos of their food to show their doctor for advice on how to eat better during pregnancy. Additionally, Google Fit can be integrated with U Baby Fit to track steps walked every day and throughout a user’s pregnancy. Finally, expectant mothers can check a chart of their weight gain from doctor visit to doctor visit, and add their own weight measurements in between visits to track their weight gain on a more micro level. Educational information populates based on where a mother at on her optimal weight gain progress during her pregnancy, to help inform the pros of optimal weight gain and the cons of being under or over optimal weight gain during her pregnancy, to help inform the pros of optimal weight gain and the cons of being under or over optimal weight gain during pregnancy. Release Date: 05/01/2016. Inventors: Erin Clark.
- Avatar IVR. Avatar IVR is a mobile application designed to provide cancer treatment patients with a personalized guide throughout their recovery process. The main goals of the application are: 1 – Monitor the patient and any symptoms or side effects they may be suffering; 2 – Alert the patient’s clinician in the event that the patient’s symptoms are too severe and must be dealt with; and 3 – Coach the patient on ways they can improve their quality of life themselves. An on-screen character customized by the patient will help guide them through their recovery process. Release Date: 05/01/2016. Inventors: Kathy Mooney.
- Wearable Stress. Game that essentially causes stress in order research and track the data associated with biofeedback that occurs during gameplay. The game incorporates realtime data transfer from the MS band to the Unity game which is a shooting gallery. The number of targets as well as their speed is a variable that can be manipulated in order to elicitate an observable change in one’s biofeedback. Release Date: 05/01/2016. Inventors: Ben Mabey.
- Virtual Records. EMR-VR is intended to give patients with type-2 Diabetes an engaging visual representation of their medical data. A1c and glucose data is fetched through an electronic medical record database, and is used to form simple and compelling interactions. A primary goal of the application is to make an impact on patients without confusing numbers or charts. Release Date: 05/01/2016. Inventors: Bryan Gibson.
- Robot Pinball Escape. Published MFA Student Project. I served as adviser and executive producer. One of the top rates Desura games upon release. Appeared in PC Gamer Magazine. Was distributed on over half of a million discs in game magazines in Northern Europe. Release Date: 10/11/2012. Distribution List: Desura.com.
- Erie. Published MFA Student Project. I served as adviser and executive producer. The game has earned several awards, was reviewed over 100 times, and has over two million YouTube views. Release Date: 10/11/2012. Inventors: Entertainment Arts and Engineering: Master Games Studio, cohort 1.
- Hoardzz. Xbox Live Indie arcade project developed with Game Makers Anonymous, an independent gaming company. Release Date: 05/01/2011. Distribution List: Xbox Live Indie Arcade.
- Urban Space Squirrels . Video Game developed as part of the EAE Capstone Course. Release Date: 05/15/2010. Distribution List: Xbox Live Indie Arcade.
- Rapunzel's Fight Knight . Video Game developed as part of the EAE Capstone Course. Release Date: 05/15/2010. Distribution List: Xbox Live Indie Arcade.
Geographical Regions of Interest
I lived and taught in Japan. I have taught in Taiwan. I have visited Singapore and Guam and am both aware of the culture issues involved with and enjoy working in Asia.
I presented academic research in Denmark and Sweden. I have visited several countries in Europe and am interested in international collaboration.
- Avatars, Assembled. Edited by Jaime Banks. Chapter 24: Pixels and Polygons: The Stuff of Light-Beings. Accepted, 10/01/2016.
- Information and Innovation, A Natural Combination for Health Sci- ences Libraries Edited by Jean P. Shipman & Barbara A. Ulmer 8) Interview with Roger Altizer, PhD, and José Zagal, PhD (March 2, 2016) 75 - Jean P. Shipman and Barbara A. Ulmer. Accepted, 07/01/2016.
- Zagal, J.P., Altizer, R. , Zeng-Treitler, Q., Shipman, J., Lake, E., Aiono, H., Malheiro, M., Christensen, C., (2014) “Doodle Health: Games as Cultural Probes”, Workshop on Entertainment in Serious Games and Entertaining Serious Purposes @ 13th International Conference on Entertainment Computing, Sydney, Australia, September 30, 2014. pp 11-12. Published, 09/30/2014.
- Altizer, R., Zagal, J. P. (2014) “Designing Inside the Box or Pitching Practices in Industry and Education”, 2014 Digital Games Research Association Conference (DiGRA), August 3-6, Snowbird, UT. Published, 08/03/2014.
- Altizer, R., Zagal, J. P., (2014) Pitch Perfect or Exploring Pitching Practices in Industry and Games Education, 2014 Foundations of Digital Games Conference, April 3-7, 2014, Fort Lauderdale, FL. Published, 04/03/2014.
- Zagal, J. P., Altizer, R. (2014) Examining ‘RPG Elements’: Systems of Character Progression, 2014 Foundations of Digital Games Conference, April 3-7, 2014, Fort Lauderdale, FL. Published, 04/03/2014.
- Bruggers CS, Altizer RA, Kessler RR, Caldwell CB, Coppersmith K, Warner L, Davies B, Paterson W, Wilcken J, D'Ambrosio TA, German ML, Hanson GR, Gershan LA, Korenberg JR & Bulaj G (2012). Patient-empowerment interactive technologies. Science translational medicine. Vol. 4, 152ps16. Published, 09/01/2012.
- C. S. Bruggers, R. A. Altizer, R. R. Kessler, C. B. Caldwell, K. Coppersmith, L. Warner, B. Davies, W. Paterson, J. Wilcken, T. A. D’Ambrosio, M. L. German, G. R. Hanson, L. A. Gershan, J. R. Korenberg, G. Bulaj, Patient-Empowerment Interactive Technologies. Sci. Transl. Med. 4, 152ps16 (2012). Science: Translational Medicine Abstract Video games capture the rapt attention of an individual player’s mind and body, providing new opportunities for personalized health care. An example of therapeutic interactive technologies is an incentive-based video game that translates physical exercise into mental empowerment via motivational metaphoric visualization in order to help patients psychologically overcome cancer. Such nonpharmacological interventions may enhance patients’ resilience toward various chronic disorders via neuronal mechanisms that activate positive emotions and the reward system.
- Winner: Speaker Award, Education Track Caldwell, Craig, Robert Kessler, Roger Altizer, and Mark Van Langefeld. "When the games industry and academia collide: How we impact each other." In Games Innovation Conference (IGIC), 2012 IEEE International, pp. 1-4. IEEE, 2012. Abstract: What started as a list of suggested courses for students interested in focusing their Computer Science or Film degree on animation and games has grown into the #3 video game design program in the U.S. The key to this success has been directly involving the games industry in the Entertainment Arts and Engineering program. This program not only combined students and faculty from the arts and engineering, but spaned the public/private gap by actively including industry in the programs academic and professional mission. This paper extracts the impact we have each had on the other and lessons learned from not just collaboration across campus but across the city as we have partnered with industry. Published, 07/2012.
- “Entertainment Arts and Engineering or How to Fast Track A New Interdisciplinary Program),” ACM SIGCSE Bulletin - SIGCSE '09, Volume 41 Issue 1, March 2009 (R. Kessler, M. van Langeveld, and R. Altizer).
- “Entertainment Arts and Engineering or How to Fast Track A New Interdisciplinary Program),” SIGCSE 2009 (R. Kessler, M. van Langeveld, and R. Altizer).