Director of Digital Medicine, Center for Medical Innovation
Associate Director, Entertainment Arts Engineering
Associate Professor (Lecturer), Entertainment Arts Engineering
Associate Professor, Population Health Sciences
Honors & Awards
- University of Utah Distinguished Teaching Award.
University of Utah,
- Celebrate U - recognition alongside Eric Handman, Cheryl Wright, for our research and development of Choreografish, an underwater virtual reality game codesigned with children with autism that uses choreographing with fish as a way to reduce anxiety.
University of Utah, Vice President for Research,
- “Best in Category” Poster Award for Innovation On-Campus Category at the VentureWell Open
Conference. Poster information: Casucci T, Shipman JP, Altizer RA, Zagal JP. Shhh!
We’re Making New Technologies in the Library and You Can Too! Poster for
VentureWell 21st Annual Open Conference. Washington DC, March 24-25, 2017.
VentureWell Open Conference,
- Best Speaker Award - Education Summit, GDC 2017.
Game Developer's Conference 2017,
- Elected as HEVGA Fellow at Game Developer's Conference 2017. Those chosen are elected "by their peers for outstanding contributions to games-based research and design in higher education.".
Higher Education Video Games Alliance (HEVGA),
- Speaker Award: Caldwell, Craig, Robert Kessler, Roger Altizer, and Mark Van Langefeld. "When the games industry and academia collide: How we impact each other." In Games Innovation Conference (IGIC), 2012 IEEE International, pp. 1-4. IEEE, 2012.
In the Media
- Deseret News Article by Art Raymond: "Esports is more than fun and games for U.'s newest varsity squad". 10/04/2017.
- Deseret News Article by Herb Scribner: "Utah's favorite video game character is ...". 07/06/2017.
- Deseret News Article: "Gaming U.? University of Utah trustees approve bachelor of science in games". 06/18/2017.
- Deseret News Article by Art Raymond (front page article in print): "U. game development program creating more than entertainment". 04/30/2017.
- "New Device Allows Quads to Ski & Sail" hightling TetraSki and TetraSail (Altizer is Co-PI). 04/01/2017.
- KSL News Article by Peter Rosen: "Prescription to play: U. working to improve your health with apps, games". 03/17/2017.
- Bored, stressed or feeling blue? There's an app for that at the U. 12/09/2016.
- Cool Science Radio -- live interview with Roger Altizer with KUER public radio in Park City Utah. 12/01/2016.
- KSL News interviews Roger Altizer for Ingress/Pokemon Go. 10/31/2016.
- Fox 13 News covers EAE for National Video Game Day. 09/24/2016.
- University of Utah leading the way in video game design
- Gaming on Comic Con. 08/26/2014.
- U of U students channel dodo birds in release of new video game. 12/12/2013.
- Salt Lake Comic Con Expands Gamer Lineup for Inaugural Event September 5-7, 2013 . 11/12/2013.
- Crowds eagerly anticipate Grand Theft Auto V. 09/16/2013.
- Salt Lake Comic-Con: Main Event (Days II and III). 09/08/2013.
- Geeking out: Salt Lake Comic Con draws huge crowd. 09/05/2013.
- Video game a ‘perfect tool’ to revitalize dying language. 08/25/2013.
- Salt Lake Comic Con announces game industry legends to join inaugural event. 08/24/2013.
- First Shoshone Language Video Game. 08/20/2013.
- Salt Lake Comic Con 2014. 08/2013.
- Bill Walton Mentions University of Utah's #1 Game Program: EAE in the Utah v. Cal game . 03/20/2013.
- U of U's Video Game Design Programs Ranked First and Second - See more at: http://www.utahbusiness.com/articles/view/u_of_us_video_game_design_programs_ranked_first_a#sthash.oRo0Nc2x.dpuf. 03/18/2013.
- Entertainment Arts & Engineering Tops the Charts. 03/15/2013.
- University of Utah’s video game design program No. 1 in nation . 03/12/2013.
- Online predators occasionally target online games. 03/01/2013.
- Thousands of Utahns employed in virtual vocations
Read more at http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=24174699#1P5732KxuICHQFeL.99. 02/22/2013.
- The Video Game Industry in Utah. 01/15/2013.
- Things I Learned in Game Design. 12/15/2012.
- Advisees Featured: The Daily Utah Chronicle: EAE open house showcases games. 12/07/2012.
- Newsbreak: Univeristy of Utah's Black Ops 2 Tournament - Interview about how Sony's relationship with Utah helps research and education. 11/19/2012.
- Newsbreak: EAE Prototype Final Week - Autism Research Center Game. 11/16/2012.
- Featured in the University of Utah's Imagine U national TV campaign, long and short versions. 11/13/2012.
- Featured in Imagine U campaign for the University of Utah. 11/13/2012.
- Newsbreak: EAE Prototype Week 3 - Game for Autism Research Center. 11/09/2012.
- Newsbreak: EAE Prototype Week 2 - Autism Research Center Game. 11/01/2012.
- Newsbreak: PlayStation Tournament - Interview on the importance of University and Industry Collaboration. 11/01/2012.
EAE Prototype Week 1 - Game for Autism Research Center
- U grad students create hit video game. 10/21/2012.
- Reaction videos to Erie, a thesis game I was the adviser and executive producer on. Over 100 reviews and two million YouTube reviews to date. 10/15/2012.
- Fox 13 News: U grad students create hit video game - adviser and executive producer on Erie. 10/12/2012.
- Red Thread: When a Game Launch is More than a Game - University of Utah PR published an open letter I sent to students. 10/11/2012.
- NPR Science Friday: Video Games May Ease Treatment for Cancer Patients - Note, I am not interviewed, but the game/research project I collaborated on is featured. 09/26/2012.
- Psych Central - Therapeutic Video Games Aimed at Variety of Illnesses. 09/21/2012.
- Polygon - University of Utah study says video games can be therapeutic. 09/21/2012.
- The Daily Utah Chronicle: Video game therapy a first for cancer patients. 09/21/2012.
- Science Daily: Video Games Help Patients and Health Care Providers. 09/19/2012.
- U News Center:
Video Games Help Patients and Health Care Providers - Coverage of our article in Science: Translational Medicine of the PE Game . 09/19/2012.
- The Daily Utah Chronicle: Game designers use video games for more than entertainment. 08/28/2012.
- Robot Pinball Escape featured in PC Gamer’s Top 10 Free Downloads. PC Gamer is the country's largest games magazine and featured the MFA game I acted as adviser and executive producer on. 08/21/2012.
- KCPW - Community Voices – July 26th, 2012, conversation on games. 07/26/2012.
- KUTV News: Video Game Industry Excelling In Utah Business . 06/28/2012.
- The Daily Utah Chronicle: U production company releases first video game - coverage of the Utah Game Forge, a company to publish games we cofounded, and a published capstone game. 06/28/2012.
- The Chronicle of Higher Education - U. of Utah to Help Students Publish Video Games. 06/22/2012.
- KSL TV News: University of Utah's first student-designed video game released. 06/21/2012.
- U News - Arts & Humanities from the U - “Heroes of Hat” Indie Video Game Released by U Students via Utah Game Forge, First game from EAE program released through U company. 06/19/2012.
- Deseret News:
University of Utah company releases first student-designed video game. 06/19/2012.
- Review for Heroes of Hat – XBLA & XBLIG Ratings, EAE capstone game on which I served as instructor and executive producer.
- Article on a trailer produce by students in my capstone class and the game they produced. 06/04/2012.
- UBM Tech: Game Network Newsletter - Roger Altizer, director of game design and production, University of Utah, Entertainment Arts and Engineering Program, talks about marketing games, opportunities in medical games, and promoting Salt Lake City as a center for digital media. 06/2012.
- The Salt Lake Tribune: University of Utah video game school publishes first title . 05/30/2012.
- U News - Arts & Humanities - U’s Master Games Studio Publishes First Game
“Robot Pinball Escape” Launches Online. 05/29/2012.
- IndieGames.com: Freeware Game Pick: Robot Pinball Escape. 05/23/2012.
- The Salt Lake Tribune - U. students showcase first video games
Education • The master's-level program marries computer science and film studies. 05/08/2012.
- KUTV: New Game Lab Could Bring Billions to Utah – KUTV News
- U News - Arts & Humanities from the U - U Grows to Satisfy Growing Market in Digital Media
University of Utah EAE Day May 2 showcases new games lab and students’ work. 04/30/2012.
- University of Utah News: TOP PUBLIC SCHOOL FOR SECOND CONSECUTIVE YEAR. 04/04/2012.
- The Daily Utah Chronicle: Q&A for video games story. 04/03/2012.
- Daily Utah Chronicle: Video game field yields artistic entertainment. 04/03/2012.
- KUTV News Story: Video Game Industry Excelling In Utah Business. 04/03/2012.
- The Salt Lake Tribune - Video games: Fans of 'Mass Effect 3' want a new ending — and they're getting it
Video games • Devotees couldn't take the original ending, but should the designers give in to public pressure to change it? 04/02/2012.
- PlayStation Magazine: Healing Touch - The PE Game, a game to help children fight cancer, covered in PlayStation Magazine. 04/2012.
- The Daily Utah Chronicle: Game designers use video games for more than entertainment. 03/28/2012.
- U News: Arts & Humanities - U of U Entertainment Arts and Engineering Program Ranked Among Nation’s Best
Top Public School for Second Consecutive Year. 03/02/2012.
- Deseret News:
University of Utah boasts 3rd best video game design program in nation – Deseret News
- KSL TV News: U.'s video game design program ranks 3rd in nation. 03/01/2012.
- Deseret News: University of Utah boasts 3rd best video game design program in nation. 03/01/2012.
- EAE program spotlighted by G4 (video game cable network). 09/16/2011.
- Deseret News on the growth of the games industry in Utah, features EAE program as a key component to the state's success in the field. 08/22/2011.
- Fox 13 News - I was asked to give commentary on the Supreme Court Ruling that struck down a California ban on violent video games. Was picked up nationally. 07/27/2011.
- One of our capstone games, Minions, was named one of the top 16 Xbox Live Indie Games by the Official Xbox Magazine. 07/03/2011.
- The PE Game is featured in over two dozen news outlets and gets international exposure. I did several TV, print, and online appearances discussing everything from the game itself to games and health and game design. 04/01/2011.
- GamePro - coverage of the EAE programs national rankings in a popular games magazine. 04/01/2011.
- CBS 2 News coverage of EAE national rankings. 03/15/2011.
- Salt Lake Tribune coverage of EAE rankings, #2 Undergraduate (out ranking Nintendo's sponsored school), #6 Graduate. 03/09/2011.
- EAE program featured in Continuum. 03/01/2011.
- Guest expert on Twit.tv's FourCast Podcast. Leo Laporte's Twitcasts are some of the most viewed podcasts on the Internet http://twit.tv/fc61. 12/20/2010.
- Getting a degree in gaming, Salt Lake Tribune, Vine Horiuchi - Feature article on the Master Games Studio
- Geek 2.0 - Slug Magazine, Jesse Hawlish. This was a profile on my activities as a professor teaching video games. 09/01/2009.
- Game Makers Anonymous.
Role: Co-Founder and Board Member.
Game Makers Anonymous is an indie game company set-up as a co-operative designed to bring together novice game developers and to aid them in project completion.
09/01/2010 - present
- International Game Developers Association - IGDA.
Active member of the Salt Lake City IGDA.
01/01/2010 - present
- Judge for Bench-to-Bedside 2017, Utah State Capitol, at request of John Langell / Megan McIntyre of the Center for Medical Innovation.
04/03/2017 - present.
- Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Chief Search Committee.
11/04/2016 - present.
09/30/2016 - present.
- Entrepreneurial Faculty Scholars Executive Committee.
06/08/2016 - present.
- IAAPS Steering Committee.
01/28/2016 - present.
- Wayfinding Committee.
09/01/2015 - 12/24/2017.
- Attended the Game Education Summit and E3 to gather information for the Master Games Studio.
06/15/2010 - 06/19/2010.
- Spoke at UVU's electronic high school outreach with Craig Caldwell, Mark Van Langeveld on games education.
06/10/2010 - present.
- Visited the Florida Interactive Entertainment Academy to research their master's program for the MGS.
05/20/2010 - 05/27/2010.
- UDEN Presentation -- EAE and The GApp Lab.
04/20/2016 - present