Director of Digital Medicine, Center for Medical Innovation
Associate Director, Entertainment Arts Engineering
Associate Professor (Lecturer), Entertainment Arts Engineering
Associate Professor, Population Health Sciences
- Ph.D. 2014,
University of Utah.
Project: A grounded legal study of the breakdown of modders' relationships with game companies or legal threats shake moral beds
Honors & Awards
- Speaker Award: Caldwell, Craig, Robert Kessler, Roger Altizer, and Mark Van Langefeld. "When the games industry and academia collide: How we impact each other." In Games Innovation Conference (IGIC), 2012 IEEE International, pp. 1-4. IEEE, 2012.
In the Media
- Gaming on Comic Con. 08/26/2014.
- U of U students channel dodo birds in release of new video game. 12/12/2013.
- Salt Lake Comic Con Expands Gamer Lineup for Inaugural Event September 5-7, 2013 . 11/12/2013.
- Crowds eagerly anticipate Grand Theft Auto V. 09/16/2013.
- Salt Lake Comic-Con: Main Event (Days II and III). 09/08/2013.
- Geeking out: Salt Lake Comic Con draws huge crowd. 09/05/2013.
- Video game a ‘perfect tool’ to revitalize dying language. 08/25/2013.
- Salt Lake Comic Con announces game industry legends to join inaugural event. 08/24/2013.
- First Shoshone Language Video Game. 08/20/2013.
- Salt Lake Comic Con 2014. 08/2013.
- Bill Walton Mentions University of Utah's #1 Game Program: EAE in the Utah v. Cal game . 03/20/2013.
- U of U's Video Game Design Programs Ranked First and Second - See more at: http://www.utahbusiness.com/articles/view/u_of_us_video_game_design_programs_ranked_first_a#sthash.oRo0Nc2x.dpuf. 03/18/2013.
- Entertainment Arts & Engineering Tops the Charts. 03/15/2013.
- University of Utah’s video game design program No. 1 in nation . 03/12/2013.
- Online predators occasionally target online games. 03/01/2013.
- Thousands of Utahns employed in virtual vocations
Read more at http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=24174699#1P5732KxuICHQFeL.99. 02/22/2013.
- The Video Game Industry in Utah. 01/15/2013.
- Things I Learned in Game Design. 12/15/2012.
- Advisees Featured: The Daily Utah Chronicle: EAE open house showcases games. 12/07/2012.
- Newsbreak: Univeristy of Utah's Black Ops 2 Tournament - Interview about how Sony's relationship with Utah helps research and education. 11/19/2012.
- Newsbreak: EAE Prototype Final Week - Autism Research Center Game. 11/16/2012.
- Featured in the University of Utah's Imagine U national TV campaign, long and short versions. 11/13/2012.
- Featured in Imagine U campaign for the University of Utah. 11/13/2012.
- Newsbreak: EAE Prototype Week 3 - Game for Autism Research Center. 11/09/2012.
- Newsbreak: EAE Prototype Week 2 - Autism Research Center Game. 11/01/2012.
- Newsbreak: PlayStation Tournament - Interview on the importance of University and Industry Collaboration. 11/01/2012.
EAE Prototype Week 1 - Game for Autism Research Center
- U grad students create hit video game. 10/21/2012.
- Reaction videos to Erie, a thesis game I was the adviser and executive producer on. Over 100 reviews and two million YouTube reviews to date. 10/15/2012.
- Fox 13 News: U grad students create hit video game - adviser and executive producer on Erie. 10/12/2012.
- Red Thread: When a Game Launch is More than a Game - University of Utah PR published an open letter I sent to students. 10/11/2012.
- NPR Science Friday: Video Games May Ease Treatment for Cancer Patients - Note, I am not interviewed, but the game/research project I collaborated on is featured. 09/26/2012.
- Psych Central - Therapeutic Video Games Aimed at Variety of Illnesses. 09/21/2012.
- Polygon - University of Utah study says video games can be therapeutic. 09/21/2012.
- The Daily Utah Chronicle: Video game therapy a first for cancer patients. 09/21/2012.
- Science Daily: Video Games Help Patients and Health Care Providers. 09/19/2012.
- U News Center:
Video Games Help Patients and Health Care Providers - Coverage of our article in Science: Translational Medicine of the PE Game . 09/19/2012.
- The Daily Utah Chronicle: Game designers use video games for more than entertainment. 08/28/2012.
- Robot Pinball Escape featured in PC Gamer’s Top 10 Free Downloads. PC Gamer is the country's largest games magazine and featured the MFA game I acted as adviser and executive producer on. 08/21/2012.
- KCPW - Community Voices – July 26th, 2012, conversation on games. 07/26/2012.
- KUTV News: Video Game Industry Excelling In Utah Business . 06/28/2012.
- The Daily Utah Chronicle: U production company releases first video game - coverage of the Utah Game Forge, a company to publish games we cofounded, and a published capstone game. 06/28/2012.
- The Chronicle of Higher Education - U. of Utah to Help Students Publish Video Games. 06/22/2012.
- KSL TV News: University of Utah's first student-designed video game released. 06/21/2012.
- U News - Arts & Humanities from the U - “Heroes of Hat” Indie Video Game Released by U Students via Utah Game Forge, First game from EAE program released through U company. 06/19/2012.
- Deseret News:
University of Utah company releases first student-designed video game. 06/19/2012.
- Review for Heroes of Hat – XBLA & XBLIG Ratings, EAE capstone game on which I served as instructor and executive producer.
- Article on a trailer produce by students in my capstone class and the game they produced. 06/04/2012.
- UBM Tech: Game Network Newsletter - Roger Altizer, director of game design and production, University of Utah, Entertainment Arts and Engineering Program, talks about marketing games, opportunities in medical games, and promoting Salt Lake City as a center for digital media. 06/2012.
- The Salt Lake Tribune: University of Utah video game school publishes first title . 05/30/2012.
- U News - Arts & Humanities - U’s Master Games Studio Publishes First Game
“Robot Pinball Escape” Launches Online. 05/29/2012.
- IndieGames.com: Freeware Game Pick: Robot Pinball Escape. 05/23/2012.
- The Salt Lake Tribune - U. students showcase first video games
Education • The master's-level program marries computer science and film studies. 05/08/2012.
- KUTV: New Game Lab Could Bring Billions to Utah – KUTV News
- U News - Arts & Humanities from the U - U Grows to Satisfy Growing Market in Digital Media
University of Utah EAE Day May 2 showcases new games lab and students’ work. 04/30/2012.
- University of Utah News: TOP PUBLIC SCHOOL FOR SECOND CONSECUTIVE YEAR. 04/04/2012.
- The Daily Utah Chronicle: Q&A for video games story. 04/03/2012.
- Daily Utah Chronicle: Video game field yields artistic entertainment. 04/03/2012.
- KUTV News Story: Video Game Industry Excelling In Utah Business. 04/03/2012.
- The Salt Lake Tribune - Video games: Fans of 'Mass Effect 3' want a new ending — and they're getting it
Video games • Devotees couldn't take the original ending, but should the designers give in to public pressure to change it? 04/02/2012.
- PlayStation Magazine: Healing Touch - The PE Game, a game to help children fight cancer, covered in PlayStation Magazine. 04/2012.
- The Daily Utah Chronicle: Game designers use video games for more than entertainment. 03/28/2012.
- U News: Arts & Humanities - U of U Entertainment Arts and Engineering Program Ranked Among Nation’s Best
Top Public School for Second Consecutive Year. 03/02/2012.
- Deseret News:
University of Utah boasts 3rd best video game design program in nation – Deseret News
- KSL TV News: U.'s video game design program ranks 3rd in nation. 03/01/2012.
- Deseret News: University of Utah boasts 3rd best video game design program in nation. 03/01/2012.
- EAE program spotlighted by G4 (video game cable network). 09/16/2011.
- Deseret News on the growth of the games industry in Utah, features EAE program as a key component to the state's success in the field. 08/22/2011.
- Fox 13 News - I was asked to give commentary on the Supreme Court Ruling that struck down a California ban on violent video games. Was picked up nationally. 07/27/2011.
- One of our capstone games, Minions, was named one of the top 16 Xbox Live Indie Games by the Official Xbox Magazine. 07/03/2011.
- The PE Game is featured in over two dozen news outlets and gets international exposure. I did several TV, print, and online appearances discussing everything from the game itself to games and health and game design. 04/01/2011.
- GamePro - coverage of the EAE programs national rankings in a popular games magazine. 04/01/2011.
- CBS 2 News coverage of EAE national rankings. 03/15/2011.
- Salt Lake Tribune coverage of EAE rankings, #2 Undergraduate (out ranking Nintendo's sponsored school), #6 Graduate. 03/09/2011.
- EAE program featured in Continuum. 03/01/2011.
- Guest expert on Twit.tv's FourCast Podcast. Leo Laporte's Twitcasts are some of the most viewed podcasts on the Internet http://twit.tv/fc61. 12/20/2010.
- Getting a degree in gaming, Salt Lake Tribune, Vine Horiuchi - Feature article on the Master Games Studio
- Geek 2.0 - Slug Magazine, Jesse Hawlish. This was a profile on my activities as a professor teaching video games. 09/01/2009.
Geographical Regions of Interest
- Asia. I lived and taught in Japan. I have taught in Taiwan. I have visited Singapore and Guam and am both aware of the culture issues involved with and enjoy working in Asia.
- Europe. I presented academic research in Denmark and Sweden. I have visited several countries in Europe and am interested in international collaboration.