Assistant Professor (Clinical), Theatre Department
- United States Institute for Technical Theatre.
Role: Plan and organize sound commission sessions and panels for the yearly national conference.
Sound Commission Programming Committee.
03/16/2016 - 03/12/2017
- Read all play submissions by faculty/staff/students of the department of theatre, meet throughout the semester to discuss all plays’ viability and support of theatre department production needs.
Season Selection Sub-Committee Member. ,
09/01/2019 - 12/13/2019.
- Season Selection Committee Member.
Read all play submissions by faculty/staff/students of the department of theatre, meet throughout the semester to discuss all plays’ viability and support of theatre department production needs.,
08/28/2017 - 12/15/2017.
- Pre-college student recruiting - Travel to and presentations with local high schools in Utah to discuss viable, stable careers in technical theatre design and stage management.
01/08/2018 - 11/30/2018
In the Media
- Sound Design and Original Music for "Form of a Girl Unknown" at Salt Lake Acting Company. "The costumes by Alicia Washington, sound design by Jennifer Jackson, and specialty prop design by Linda Brown are also sound.". 11/03/2019.
- Sound Design and Original Music for "Lifespan of a Fact" at Pioneer Theatre Company. "The set and sound design by Jo Winiarski and Jennifer Jackson, respectively, show us the characters’ electronic communications in real time — superfluous, perhaps, but amusing nonetheless.". 11/03/2019.
- Sound Design and Original Music for "Form of a Girl Unknown" at Salt Lake Acting Company. "Jennifer Jackson (Sound Design) plays with imagination using the sounds of nature to hint at the journey taking place. Every note is subtle but brilliant. Together all elements paint a strong picture, giving further depth and sensory understanding to a complex story.". 10/25/2019.
- Sound Design and Original Music for "Silent Dancer" at Salt Lake Acting Company. "Playwright Kathleen Cahill creates a world that is both life and larger than life. She uses simplicity in text and gives the chance for the movement to become a partner to her words. In the second act, there are a few bumps where the timeline becomes muddled, but we forgive it as an audience because we have come to care for the characters. Choreographer Christopher Ruud merges textual understanding with motion. He uses dance to fill in the unspoken words. He uses dance to create emotion. All of this pairs well with the sound design of Jen Jackson (Sound Design and Composer). Together these three weave a story told with moments of music, highlighting silence, and creating a contextual and relatable Roaring Twenties.". 04/14/2019.
- Sound Design and Original Music for "The Wolves" with Salt Lake Acting Company. "Jennifer Jackson’s sound design is the true standout. The pre-show music and underscore is tightly packed with female artists and songs featuring lyrics of empowerment. What is great about Jackson’s selections is that nothing is cliché or ironic. These are songs that set the stage and reflect the action.". 10/2018.
- Sound Design and Original Music for "The Wolves" with Salt Lake Acting Company. "Jennifer Jackson (Composer/Sound Design) puts us in the world of an indoor arena. She gives us moments to remind us where we are that fit well within the transitions of the text and the blocking.". 10/2018.
- Sound Design and Original Music for "The Wolves" with Salt Lake Acting Company. "The lighting design by William Peterson is gentle and effective and Jennifer Jackson’s sound design highlights female artists that echo the play’s message of girl power.". 10/2018.
- Sound Design and Original Music for "Hir" with Salt Lake Acting Company. "Spencer Potter’s grab-bag costumes, Jesse Portillo’s bright, brassy lighting, and Jennifer Jackson’s funky circus music flesh out the world of 'HIR.'". 02/2018.
- Sound Design and Original Music for "Ion" with Westminster College. "The original background music by sound designer and composer Jen Jackson enhanced this production’s uniqueness. Jackson’s orchestral music complemented the piece and built tension in appropriate moments. Also, following the Greek classical style of incorporating singing into the play, several portions of dialogue became solos and group numbers by setting the text to Jackson’s music. Overall, the musical style reminded me of religious chanting, which seems consistent with what a classical Greek chorus would have sounded like.". 09/10/2017.
- Sound Design and Original music for "Hand to God" with Salt Lake Acting Company. "The show is directed by Chris DuVal, with set design by Gage Williams, costume design by Philip R. Lowe, lighting design by James M. Craig, sound design and composer Jennifer Jackson, and puppet design by Steven Glenn Brown and Linda L. Brown.". 04/13/2017.
- Sound Design and Music for Bull Shark Attack at Salt Lake Acting Company. "There's much to applaud in Salt Lake Acting Company's ambitious premiere of "Bull Shark Attack": bold acting, beautiful language, a nicely wrought stripped-down set, enchanting lighting design and a rich sound score." . 09/15/2016.
- Sound Design for Streetlight Woodpecker at Salt Lake Acting Company. "In addition, Jennifer Jackson‘s sound design, which included natural sounds such as the woodpecker and the crickets created a textured silence on which the actors could layer their dialogue. 02/21/2016.
- Salt Lake Tribune theatre review of Blackberry Winter at Salt Lake Acting Company. "Jennifer Jackson's music and forest sounds are lovely and lyrical.". 09/2015.
- Salt Lake Tribune review of Two Stories at Salt Lake Acting Company. "Jennifer Jackson's intricate sound design and original music make us acutely aware of the outside world.". 01/2015.