Dr. Richards' research explores intersections of trauma, memory, and language within organizational communication structures. She focuses specifically on research within post-war and high-conflict communities. Using ethnographic interviewing and discourse analysis informed by sociolinguistics, she works with survivors of violence to better understand how gaps in resources within organizations and communitites impact and are impacted by the people who tell their stories.
- Organizational Communication
- Interdisciplinary Communication
- Feminist Theories/Gender Theories
- Discourse Analysis
- Contemporary Rhetorical Theory & Criticism
- Business Communications
- JESSIE LYNN RICHARDS (2020) Werewolves in Play (Association of Business Communication). Presentation, Presented, 10/15/2020.
- JESSIE LYNN RICHARDS (2020) Crafting a Career with Impact. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 01/23/2020.
- JESSIE LYNN RICHARDS (2019) Implicit Bias Training. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 11/11/2019.
- JESSIE LYNN RICHARDS (2019) Organizational Barriers to Reporting Dating Violence on Campus (Association of Business Communication). Conference Paper, Presented, 10/25/2019.
- JESSIE LYNN RICHARDS (2019) Bubble Gum Teaches Active Listening (Association of Business Communication). Presentation, Presented, 10/25/2019.
- JESSIE LYNN RICHARDS (2019) Domestic Violence Signs and Trauma-informed Responses. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 03/29/2019.
- JESSIE LYNN RICHARDS (2019) Rethinking Theory and Praxis in Biz Comm: A Call for Civic Engagement (Association of Business Communication). Conference Paper, Presented, 02/21/2019.
- JESSIE LYNN RICHARDS (2018) Domestic Violence Warning Signs and Resources. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 07/20/2018.
- JESSIE LYNN RICHARDS, & Joshua Lenart. (2017) From Theory to Public Action: Moving Rhetoric beyond the University. Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 10/08/2017.
- JESSIE LYNN RICHARDS, & Jennifer Andrus. (2017) Public Discourses and Public Rhetoric in a Domestic Violence Charity (Rhetoric Society of America). Conference Paper, Accepted, 08/01/2017.
- Presented to over 3,000 participants about red flags of unsafe relationships, resources for help, and cultural constraints for services. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 06/22/2017.
- JESSIE LYNN RICHARDS (2017) Discourse Analysis in Socio-political Climates. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 04/20/2017.
- How College Students Describe and Experience Relationship and Dating Violence. PI: Jessie Richards. Co-PI(s): Chris Linder, Heather Melton. University of Utah 1U4U Research Grant, 01/01/2020 - 12/31/2021. Total project budget to date: $50,000.00
- Linder, C., & Burton, B., Badger Gleed, B., Phister, M., & Richards, J (2021). Building on what we know (and don’t!): Using scholarship to engage in primary prevention of relationship and sexual violence among college students. Journal of College Student Affairs. Teaching - refereed, Accepted, 07/01/2021.
- Jessie Richards (2020). My Favorite Assignment - Bubble Gum Teaches Active Listenening. Business and Professional Communication Quarterly. Teaching - refereed, Accepted, 01/21/2020.
- Richards, Jessie Lynn & Lenart, Joshua; Sumner, David; Christensen, Doug. (2018). From Big Ag to Campus Cafeterias: Intersections of Food-Supply Networks as Technical Communication Pedagogy. Open Library of Humanities, Special Collections.
Teaching - refereed,
- Richards, Jessie Lynn (2016). The Trauma of Trump. Huffington Post.
Discipline based - other,
- Jessie Richards (2015). “Didn’t Your Mother Teach You to Speak Like a Lady?: A Review of Rhetorics of Motherhood” by Lindal Buchanan. Enculturation. Discipline based - refereed, Published, 05/01/2015.