Professor, Human Genetics
Director, Genetic Science Learning Center
Co-Director, Community Collaboration & Engagement Team, Center for Clinical & Translational Science, School Of Medicine-Operations
Adjunct Professor, Population Health Sciences
Clinical Professor, Urban Institute for Teacher Education
H.A. and Edna Benning Presidential Endowed Chair, Human Genetics
- University of Texas Health Science Center.
National Advisory Committee, NIH Science Education Partnership Award Website project.
09/2011 - present
- American Society of Human Genetics.
Information and Education Committee.
01/2010 - present
- Utah State Office of Education.
Science Education Steering Committee.
01/2009 - 12/2009
- Dolan DNA Learning Center.
RNAi Curriculum Advisory Committee.
01/2006 - 12/2006
- National Association of Biology Teachers.
Board of Directors.
01/2005 - 12/2006
- University of Washington and Northwest Association for Biomedical Research.
Professional Development Advisory Committee, Collaborations to Advance Understanding of Science and Ethics (CAUSE).
01/2004 - 12/2006
- NIH National Human Genome Research Institute.
Career DVD Working Group.
01/2004 - 12/2005
- Faculty Task Force on Multiple Approaches to Course Instruction, College of Education.
02/22/2012 - present.
- Curriculum Committee, School of Medicine.
09/2011 - present.
- Masters of Science for Secondary Science Teachers, Biology/Chemistry Cohort.
Steering Committee Member,
01/2010 - present.
- Community-Based Research Collaborative, University Neighborhood Partners.
01/2007 - 12/2007.
- Coalition for a Healthier Community for Utah Women and Girls; collaborative project with the Community Faces of Utah organizations and the Utah Women's Health Coalition.
09/2011 - present
- Community Faces of Utah, a collaborative group focused on improving health; includes the leaders of 5 organizations representing diverse communities, Utah Department of Health staff and University of Utah faculty and staff.
10/2009 - present
- Pacific Islander Genetics and Family Health History Education; collaborative project with the National Tongan American Society to develop educational materials on inherited traits and family health history for use in adult education classes .
01/2008 - 07/2011
- Family Genetics Education Through School and Community Partnerships; collaboration with Hispanic/Latino Community Advisory Committee to develop educational materials on genetics and family health history for students and teachers of grades 5 and high school, and for families.
01/2006 - 12/2008
- Family Health History Task Force, Utah Department of Health.
01/2005 - 12/2008
Honors & Awards
- H.A. and Edna Benning Presidential Endowed Chair.
University of Utah School of Medicine,
- MERLOT Award for Exemplary Online Learning Resources – MERLOT Classics 2017, for the Learn.Genetics and Teach.Genetics websites.
Multimedia Educational Resources for Learning and Teaching Online (MERLOT),
- Elizabeth W. Jones Award for Excellence in Education.
Genetics Society of America,
- Inaugural Fellow, Academy of Health Science Educators.
University of Utah Health,
- Honorary Membership Award (NABT’s highest award).
National Association of Biology Teachers,
- Governor's Medal for Science and Technology.
State of Utah,
- Science Prize for Online Resources in Education.
- Distinguished Alumni Award.
Grand Valley State University,
- Award for Excellence in Human Genetics Education.
American Society of Human Genetics,
- Friend of Science Education (lifetime achievement award).
Utah Science Teachers Association,
- Outstanding Higher Education Award.
Utah Science Teachers Association,
- 2004 Science and Technology Web Award for the Stem Cells in the Spotlight module .
- 2003 Science and Technology Web Award for the Genetic Science Learning Center website .
- Pre-Doctoral Fellowship.
National Science Foundation ,
In the Media
- Three School of Medicine Faculty Awarded the Honor of Benning Presidential Endowed Chair. University of Utah Health Press Release. 04/29/2021.
- Benning Medical Society Welcomes Three New Chairs. Good Notes: Voices of U of U Health. 04/13/2021.
- Through the Looking Glass: Microscopic Structures in Many Sizes. Biomedical Beat Blog – National Institute of General Medical Sciences. 02/17/2021.
- U. center selected to assist with nationwide program to accelerate health research, facilitate medical breakthroughs. KSL.com. 09/07/2019.
- University of Utah center selected to assist with nationwide program to accelerate health research, facilitate medical breakthroughs. Deseret News. 09/07/2019.
- U’s Genetic Science Learning Center Awarded $1.7 Million from the All of Us Research Program. UNews and University of Utah Health press release. 08/29/2019.
- All of Us Research Program to Expand Public Engagement Efforts with New Partner Awards. National Institutes of Health All of Us Research Program press release. 08/26/2019.
- High School Science Could Include Opioid Education With New Program. KUER radio. 10/22/2018.
- Training the Next Generation of Doctors in Precision Medicine. 05/14/2018.
- Reimagining Evolution Education: Free, Multimedia High School Curriculum Brings New Life to Old Concepts. 05/14/2018.
- Come Together Right Now Over Research with Dr. Louisa Stark and Heather Coulter. Podcast. Annals of Emergency Dispatch & Response. 04/10/2018.
- Salt Lake lawmaker seeks $300,000 for opioid prevention curriculum for middle, high schools. Deseret News. 02/08/2018.
- Soaking Up Science: Students, Educators, and Scientists Conduct Utah Water Research. Radio story. Utah Public Radio, Utah State University. 07/18/2016.
- Louisa Stark Wins Award From the Genetics Society of America. University of Utah Health Care press release. 01/23/2015.
- Genetics Society of America names Louisa Stark as recipient of Elizabeth W. Jones Award for Excellence in Education. Genetics Society of America press release. 01/23/2015.
- STEM: Evolution Apps. KUTV, Channel 2 (CBS affiliate), Salt Lake City, UT [live interview]. 10/01/2014.
- U of U Researchers Using Technology to Teach Evolution. KSL TV, Channel 5, Salt Lake City, UT [live interview]. 09/23/2014.
- A better way to teach evolution? There’s an app for that. University of Utah Health Care press release. 09/12/2014.
- Genetically Modified Organisms. Live interview on Access Utah call-in radio program. Utah Public Radio. 02/12/2014.
- Algorighm NO.3 Redefine Tenure. Algorithms for Innovation, University of Utah Health Sciences. 10/28/2013.
- Genetic Science Learning Center Teaches the A-B-Cs of DNA. eSchool News. 04/24/2013.
- Direct to Consumer Genetic Testing. Skype interview with Heidi Rietsch, writer for Wienerin magazine, Austria. 10/22/2012.
- News & Views from the National Association of Biology Teachers. Louisa Stark Named 2011 Recipient of NABT Honorary Membership. 12/10/2011.
- The Internet Age. HHMI Bulletin. 02/28/2011.
- HHMI Bulletin. The Internet Age: Increasing Science Literacy One Webpage at a Time. 02/2011.
- Seven Utahns Honored for Roles in Science, Technology. Salt Lake Tribune. 01/18/2011.
- NCRR Reporter. NCRR Grantees Recognized. 06/2010.
- U’s Website Moves Up to No. 48 Ranking Worldwide for Page Views. Utah Daily Chronicle, Salt Lake City, UT. 03/01/2010.
- Genetics Web Sites Win Online Award. New York Times, New York, NY. 01/29/2010.
- U. Genetics Web Site is an Internet Sensation. Deseret News. 11/07/2009.