Advnd Phys Assess LifspLocation: CNB 2600 (CNB 2600)
PCNP Practicum II
PCNP Practicum V
- Nurse Practitioners of Women's Health (NPWH). 01/01/2023 - 01/01/2023. Position : Member.
- Sigma Theta Tau International. 01/01/2018 - present. Position : Member.
- American Association of Nurse Practitioners. 01/2005 - present. Position : Member.
- Utah Nurse Pracitioners. 01/01/2004 - present. Position : Member.
- Faculty practice contract with Planned Parenthood Association of Utah. Jan-Jun 2015. 06/30/2015 - present .
- Faculty practice with Planned Parenthood Association of Utah. 07/01/2014 - present .
- Planned Parenthood Association of Utah - Nurse Practitioner for Planned Parenthood family planing clinics in Utah. As part of this contract I have a NP student working with me most of the time. 07/01/2013 - present .
- Contract with Planned Parenthood . 07/01/2012 - present .
- Contract with Planned Parenthood . 07/01/2011 - present .
- Women's Health Nurse Practitioner for Planned Parenthood. Faculty practice with the University of Utah College of Nursing. 07/01/2011 - present .
According to Merriam Webster the definition of the word “teach” is to a) guide the studies of, b) impart the knowledge of, c) instruct by precept, example, or experience, d) make known and accepted, and e) conduct instruction regularly in.
What does this mean to me? As a teacher I am there to guide my students. Without students there is no teaching; only doing, and that for me omits the best part of being an expert in my field: sharing my knowledge. Being with students and having the ability to share my expertise and watch them grow is the highlight of my career as a nurse practitioner faculty. I firmly believe that all students deserve an equal right to excel in their chosen field of study, regardless of their individual circumstances. It is my job as an educator and mentor to make sure that no student is left behind, by individualizing and adapting teaching strategies to work for them. In my classes and interactions with students, I promote a culture of mutual respect and professionalism and expect that the same is reciprocated. As a mentor and teacher I must set a professional example for my students both in the classroom, office and clinic setting.
Over the years I have enjoyed watching healthcare education evolve and transform around ever-changing technologies. As an educator it is my duty to adapt and integrate those changes into the classroom and clinical settings, while still maintaining that traditional classroom feel. Whether it’s a live classroom, virtual classroom, online class, hybrid class, lab or clinic setting, students deserve the best learning opportunity possible using the latest technology. Could you imagine if college professors were still out there using chalk boards, slide projectors and bubble sheet testing rather than PowerPoint, video, projectors, Canvas, YouTube, email, and electronic white boards? What would students think? Education technology and teaching modalities have completely changed since I was a student in the late 1990’s and I am constantly awed as an educator at just how many amazing tools we now have out our fingertips. I look forward to where we will be in another 20 years with emerging technology such as Artificial Intelligence and how it integrates with healthcare education. The COVID-19 pandemic, while devastating on a global scale, was a massive turning point in our ability to deliver high quality education to those at a distance. We were forced to rapidly move away from traditional classroom settings. While I am glad we are no longer all lecturing from our kitchen tables and home offices I am so grateful for the gifts it gave to teaching, communication, and workplace evolution along the way.
N7601, N7602, N7603, N7604, N7605, N7606
DNP Practicum I, II, III, IV, V, VI
Provide oversight and clinical guidance for students in their clinical courses for their Nurse Practitioner training.
Advanced Physcial Assessment
Course lead. Provides student support during on-campus lab time and feedback on home/online assignments.
NURS 7701, 7702, 7703
Provides year-long support as the role of chair to students working on their DNP Scholarly Project