My most recently published book, Heaven's Purge, investigates the early history of purgatory, and engages in the scholarly debates that have surrounded the definition, origins, and history of purgatory since the sixteenth-century reformation. In response to Jacques Le Goff's emphasis on purgatory as an artifact of the twelfth century, Heaven's Purge illuminates the importance of the early middle ages, the role of Irish and Anglo-Saxon visions, and the contribution of Bede to the formation of medieval purgatory.
Together with Bonnie Effros (U. Florida) I am editing The Oxford Handbook of the Merovingian World due for publication in 2017 /2018. With its focus on Merovingian history and archaeology, and Merovingian connections with the wider European and Mediterranean world, the essays by 45 international experts provide, in some cases for the first time in English, a holistic view of the subject. By means of an accessible format, the Oxford Handbook of the Merovingian World seeks to enable new directions of inquiry for this important era of European history.
- medieval social and cultural history
- late antiquity
- "Preparing for Death: Possessions and their loss in Late Antiquity." Center for the Humanities and the Public Sphere, February 16th, 2017. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 02/16/2017.
- "The Balthild Seal Matrix and the Merovingian Erotic Gaze.". Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 07/2016.
- Clovis II and Balthild: A Love Story? Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 09/12/2013.
- Purgatory and History. At Conference: Heaven, Hell, ... and Purgatory? Loyola University, Baltimore. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 06/11/2013.
- "Hector of Marseilles is Purged: Political Rehabilitation and Guilt by Association in the Seventh-Century "Passion of Leudegar of Autun." International Medieval Congress, Leeds, UK. Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 12/2012.
- "The Problem of Hell as a 'Last Thing'." at Medieval Studies Center, University of Loyola, Chicago. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 11/14/2011.
- “Giving Thanks for Loss: A Fifth-Century Aristocrat Battles Self-Doubt,” Rocky Mountain Medieval and Renaissance Association. Salt Lake City, UT. Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 04/2011.
- “Positioning Gregory of Tours in a History of Purgatory,” Missouri Valley History Conference, Omaha, Nebraska. Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 03/2011.
- “The Origin (and Origen) of Purgatory in the Seventh Century.” St. Patrick’s College. Purgatory: A Conference in Irish Literature and Culture. Dublin, Ireland. Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 11/2010.
- “Goose and Beans: Food Ideals in Early Medieval Europe.” European Scholars Consortium Conference. Salt Lake City. Conference Paper, Presented, 10/2010.
- “Bede and the History of Purgatory.” American Historical Association, Pacific Coast Branch. Santa Clara University. Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 08/2010.
- Commentator for panel, “Discovering Mary” on contemporary Marian apparitions. American Historical Association Meeting, San Diego. Other, Presented, 01/2010.
- British Studies, Reasearch Interest Group , Other. Tanner Center for the Humanities. 07/01/2014 - 03/30/2015.
- English, fluent.
- French, fluent.
- German, fluent.
- Latin, functional.
- Portuguese, fluent.
Research in Archives municipales et communautaires, Poitiers.
Graduate Fellowship (Stipendiatin) at the Institut fur Europaische Geschichte, Mainz, Germany, 1984-86.
- United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Undergraduate and Graduate degrees.
- Heaven's Purge: Purgatory in Late Antiquity. Oxford and New York: Oxford University Press, 2010. Paperback edition 2014.
- Hell and Its Afterlife: Historical and Contemporary Perspectives. Aldershot: Ashgate Publishing, 2010.
- Dreams, Visions, and Spiritual Authority in Merovingian Gaul. Ithaca: Cornell University Press, 2000. Published, 04/2000.
- "Purgatory and History: Augustine and Bede" in Michael Root and James J. Buckley eds. Heaven, Hell, ... And Purgatory? (Cascade Books, Wipf and Stock Publishers, 2015) pages 34-46. Published, 08/01/2015.
- "Hector of Marseilles is Purged: Political Rehabilitation and Guilt by Association in the Seventh-Century Passion of St. Leudegar of of Autun." Quaestiones Medii Aevi Novae (QMAN) vol. 17 (2012) 191-209. Published, 03/2013.
- Moreira and Toscano: “Keeping Ajar the Gates of Hell,” introductory essay to book entitled Hell and Its Afterlife. Published, 12/2010.
- “Plucking Sinners out of Hell: Saint Martin of Tours’ Resurrection Miracle,” in I. Moreira and M. Toscano, eds. Hell and Its Afterlife: Historical and Contemporary Perspectives (Farnham, Surrey: Ashgate, 2010). Published, 12/2010.
- Van Egmond, Wolfert S., Conversing with the Saints. Communication in Pre-Carolingian Hagiography from Auxerre. Utrecht Studies in Medieval Literacy, 2006. Speculum 84.2 (2009) 503-5. Published, 04/01/2009.
- "Violence, Purification and Mercy in the Late Antique Afterlife," in Violence in Late Antiquity: Perceptions and Practice, ed. H. A. Drake (Aldershot: Ashgate, 2006) 147-56. Published, 01/2006.
- "Dreams and Divination in early Medieval Canonical and Narrative Sources: The Question of Clerical Control." Catholic Historical Review 89 (2003) 607-28. Published, 04/2003.
- "Living in the Palaces of Love: Love and the Soul in a Vision of St. Aldegunde of Maubeuge (c.635-84).". Quidditas 19 (1998) 143-65. Published, 04/1998.
- "St. Augustine's Three Visions and Three Heavens in some Early Medieval Florilegia," Vivarium 34 (1996) 1-14. Published, 04/1996.
- "Provisatrix Optima: Radegund of Poitiers's Relic Petitions to the East," Journal of Medieval History 19 (1993) 285-305. Published, 04/1993.