- Liangzhu Zhu & Lei Zhang, Anil Virkar (2018). A Study of CO Adsorption/Desorption on a Thin Platinum Film by the Measurement of Electrical Resistance. Journal of Electrochemical Society. Vol. 165 (3), F232-F237. Published, 03/12/2018.
- L. Zhang & A. V. Virkar (2017). On space charge and spatial distribution of defects in yttria-stabilized zirconia . Electrochemical Society. Vol. 164, F1506-F1523.
- L. Zhu & A. V. Virkar (2017). Role of electronic conductivity in stability of solid oxide electrolyzer cells. Electrochemical Society. Vol. 80, 81-89.
- L. Zhu & A. V. Virkar (2017). Fabrication of Li-beta"-alumina + yttria-stabilized zirconia composites and their application in lithium battery. Electrochemical Society. Vol. 80, 35-44.
- A. Szendrei & T. D. Sparks, A. V. Virkar (2017). Measurement of ionic conductivity and electrode polarization at low temperatures on 8YSZ by a DC technique. J. Electrochemical Society. Vol. 164, F1543-F1550.
- A. V. Virkar (2017). Anode concentration polarization in solid oxide fuel cells as a dissipative process. Electrochemical Society. Vol. 78, 1095-1105.
- Electrochemical pumping of oxygen out of YSZ to create oxygen-deficient zirconia. Such zirconia has ionic conducivity and also n-type electronic conducivity.
- Sodium gallate for for sodium-based batteries.
- Synthesis of iron doped sodium beta alumina for sodium-sulfur battereis.
- Nanostructured cathodes for solid oxide fuel cells by a solution spray-coating process.
- A yttria-stabilized zirconia (YSZ) tube with platinum electrodes was used for the measurement of potential with one electrode exposed to air and the other to H2-H2O mixture. Measurements were conducted using an electrometer with input impedance >200 TOhms and a meter with 10 GOhm impedance.
- This chapter is on failure of ionic conductor by internal precipitation. The title of the book is: Engneered Cermics: Current Status andFutr Propects Edited by Tatsuki Ohji nd Mrityunjay Sigh, John iley, 2016 ISBN:78-1-19104-9.
- Measurement of electronic conducivity of YSZ with embedded electrode and a cavity.
- A parametric equation decsribing polarization in solid oxide fuel cells (SOFC) in terms of experimentally measureable parameters is presented. The equation explicitly describes activation and concentration polarizations at the two electrodes and the ohmic resistance in terms of measureable parameters.
- A new technique is presented for the measurement of ionic and electronic conductivities in predominantloxygne ion conducting materils suc as 8YSZ. Ths is achievedby embdding probes.
- High temperature solid oxide cells can be used as fuel cells (SOFC) for power generation and as elecrtolyzer cells (SOEC) for hydrogen production. In this manuscript, reversible cells using mixed ionic electronic conducting solid electrolytes are explored.
- J. H. Koh, N. Weber, and A. V. Virkar, 'Synthesis of lithium-beta-alumina by various ion-exchange and conversion processes, Solid State Ioncis, 220 32-38 (2012). Published, 10/2012.
- G. J. Nelson, K. N. Grew, J. R. Izo, J. J. Lombardo, W. H. Harris, A. Faes, A. H. Wyser, J. V. Herle, S. Wang, Y. S. Chu, A. V. Virkar and W. K. S. Chiu, 'Three-dimensional microstructural changes in the Ni-YSZ solid oxide fuel cell anode during operation', Acta Materialia, 60 (8) 3491-3500 (2012). Published, 10/2012.
- A. V. Virkar, 'Trasnsport through mixed proton, oxygen ion and electron/hole conductors: Analysis of fuel cells and electrolyzer cells using Onsager equations', Int. J. of Hydrogen Energy, 37 (17) 12609-12628 (2012). Published, 08/2012.
- H. Ding, A. V. Virkar, and F. Liu, 'Defect configuration and phase stability of cubic versus tetragonal yttria-stabilized zirconia', Solid State Ionics, 215 16-23 (2012). Published, 05/2012.
- W. K. S. Chiu, A. V. Virkar, F. Zhao, G. J. Nelson, F. Rabbi and Q. Liu, 'Heterofoams: Electrode modeling in nanostructured heterogeneous materials in energy systems', Journal of Fuel cell Science & Technology, Transactinos of the ASME, 9 011019-01--011019-06 (2012). Published, 02/2012.
- W. K. S. Chiu, A. V. Virkar, F. Zhao, K. L. Reifsnider, G. J. Nelson, F. Rabbi, and Q. Liu, HeteroFoams: Electrode modeling in nano-structured heterogeneous materials for energy systems, ASME Journal of Fuel Cell Science and Technology, 9 011019-1-011019-6 (2012). Published, 01/10/2012.
- Effect of stress on dissolution/precipitation of platinum: Implications concerning core-shell catalysts and cathode degradation in proton exchange membrane fuel cells, Preethy Parthasarathy and Anil V. Virkar, J. Power Sources, 196 9204-9212 (2011). Published, 09/15/2011.
- Conductivity of porous Sm2O3-doped CeO2 as a function of temperature and oxygen partial pressure, J. Power Sources, 196 6118-6124 (2011). Published, 06/15/2011.
- Carbon Monoxide Fueled Solid Oxide Fuel Cells, M. Homel, T. M. Gur, and A. V. Virkar, J. Power Sources, 195 6367-6372 (2010). Published, 10/01/2010.
- Mechanism of Oxygen Electrode Delamination in Solid Oxide Electrolyzer Cells, A. V. Virkar, Int. J. Hydrogen Energy, 35 9527-9543 (2010). Published, 08/2010.
- Effect of morphology and space charge on conduction through doped porous ceria, F. Zhao and A. V. Virkar J. Power Sources, 195 6268-6279 (2010). Published, 06/01/2010.
- Electrochemical coarsening of copper powder in aqueous media, P. Parthasarathy and A. V. Virkar J. Electrochem. Soc., 157 (5) B768-B775 (2010). Published, 05/2010.
- A simple analysis of current collection in tubular solid oxide fuel cells, A. V. Virkar, F. F. Lange, and M. A. Homel, J. Power Sources, 195 4816-4825 (2010). Published, 04/03/2010.
- High Performance Solid Oxide Fuel Cell operating on Dry Gasified Coal, T. M. Gur, M. A. Homel, A. V. Virkar, J. Power Sources, 195 1085-1090 (2010). Published, 02/15/2010.
- High performance solid oxide fuel cell operating on gasified coal, T. M. Gur, M. A. Homel, and A. V. Virkar J. Power Sources 195 1085-1090 (2010). Published, 12/15/2009.
- Electrochemical degradation of fuel cells: efefct of electrolyte composition, H-T. Lim and A. V. Virkar SOFC XI-2009 p.447-456 Electrochemical Society. Published, 09/30/2009.
- Electrochemical impedance spectroscopy of proton exchange membrane fuel cells using embedded probes, R. Abbaraju, N. Dasgupta, and A. V. Virkar PEMFC9 25(1) 961-970 (2009) Electrochemical Society. Published, 09/30/2009.
- The tetragonal-monoclinic transformation in zirconia: Lessons learned and future trends, J. Chevalier, L. Gremillard, A. V. Virkar, and D. R. Clarke, J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 92  1901-1920 (2009). Published, 09/10/2009.
- Transport through mixed proton, oxygen ion and electron (hole) conductors: Goldman-Hodgkin-Katz type equation A. V. Virkar J. Power Sources 194 753-762 (2009). Published, 04/10/2009.
- Bimetallic (Fe-Ni) anode-supported solid oxide fuel cells with gadolinia-doped ceria electrolyte, H. C. Park and A. V. Virkar J. Power Sources, 186 133-137 (2009). Published, 03/15/2009.
- Measurement of oxygen chemical potential in Gd2O3-doped ceria-Y2O3-stabilized zirconia- bi-layer electrolyte, anode-supported solid oxide fuel cells, H-T. Lim and A. V. Virkar J. Power Sourcesd, 192 267-278 (2009). Published, 01/15/2009.
Research interests in fuel cells, batteries, sensors, high temperature materials (ceramics), solid state and liquid state electrochemistry, matreials synthesis, energy-related research.
- Adsorption/Desorption of carbon monoxide on 1 nm Pt film was investigated by electrical resistance measurements. Theoretical models for adsorption and desorption were developed. Electrochemical Society meeting, Chicago, IL. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 05/2015.
- Ceramics in Electrochemical Energy Conversion, Energy Storage and Fuel Synthesis 2nd European Union-USA Engineering Ceramics Summit, Daytona Beach, Florida. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 01/2015.
- Reversible Solid Oxide Fuel Cells using Mixed Ionic-Electronic Conducting Electrolytes: Performance and Stability 39th International Conference and Exposition on Advanced Ceramics and Composites, Daytona Beach, FL. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 01/2015.
- Transport-induced instability in electrochemical devices: Batteries, Fuel Cells, Electrolyzers. A. V. Virkar, Dow Distinguished Lecture Series, Northwestern University, Evanton, IL. 2-21-2012. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 02/21/2012.
- Transport studies in mixed proton, oxygen ions and electron conductors: Fuel cells, electrolyzers, and driven cells: A. V. Virkar, G. Tao and N. Dasgupta, MRS Symposium, December 2011. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 12/01/2011.
- Analysis of transport through mixed proton, oxygen ion and electron (hole) conductors:Power and fuel generation modes, A. V. Virkar, 220th Meeting of the Electrochemical Society, Boston, MA October 2011. Symposium on Electrochemical Processes for Fuels. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 10/07/2011.
- Thermodynamic and Kinetic Measurements in Fuel Cells, MRS Symposium GG, Next Generation Fuel Cells, Boston, MA. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 12/02/2010.
- Core-Shell Catalysts for PEM and Mechanism of Cathode Catalyst Degradation, University of Oslo, Norway. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 10/27/2010.
- Fuel-Assisted Electrolysys, International Conference on Clean Energy, Famagusta, N. Cyprus. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 09/12/2010.
- Workshop on Solid Oxide Fuel Cells, University of Calgary, Canada. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 05/26/2010.
- Measurement of Electrode Polarization and (Local) Thermodynamic Functions in Fuel Cells by Embedded Probes, 239th Meeting of American Chemical Society, Symposium on Optical Science and Emerging Energy Technologiees. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 03/25/2010.
- A study of Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Performance: Experiments and Modeling; University of Miami, College of Engineering, Distinguished Speaker Series: 2009-2010. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 02/01/2010.