Director, Utah Criminal Justice Center
Associate Professor, College Of Social Work
- Nevada Sentencing Commission.
Appointed by Nevada Governor Sisolak to serve as a member of the Nevada Sentencing Commission. The Commission assists in the implementation of AB236, legislation passed in 2019 reflecting criminal justice reform focused on Justice Reinvestment.
07/2019 - 10/2020
- Criminal Justice and Behavior: An International Journal.
Editor-in-Chief of a major academic journal, Criminal Justice and Behavior (Impact Factor: 2.168). Under my five-year tenure this monthly publication was ranked 15th out of 61 journals in the Criminology and Penology discipline and 55th out of 127 journals in the Clinical Psychology discipline based on Journal Citation Reports. The journal also achieved a 1st place ranking in 2019 on Google Scholar in the Criminology, Criminal Law, and Policing section.
01/2013 - 12/2017
- Forensic Social Work Track in MSW program.
07/2020 - present.
Honors & Awards
- Research Director, Women's Risk Needs Assessment (WRNA); Serve as the primary research, training, and technical assistance provider for the WRNA, which is now housed at the Utah Criminal Justice Center.
National Institute of Corrections,
- Marguerite Q. Warren and Ted B. Palmer Differential Intervention Award. This award recognizes scholarship that challenges the "one-size-fits-all" approach in corrections and sentencing. Dr. Salisbury was honored for her research with justice-involved women.
American Society of Criminology, Division on Corrections and Sentencing,
In the Media
- This week’s episode of The 1 Girl Revolution Podcast features Dr. Emily Salisbury, Associate Professor of Social Work at the University of Utah, Director of Utah Criminal Justice Center, co-creator of Women’s Risk Needs Assessment (WRNA) system, and expert on women + incarceration. Dr. Salisbury shares her own life story, how she got into academia, how she became interested in women + incarceration, she talks about her research and findings, and so much more. 11/2021.
- "NJ paying $1.3M to consultant to advise on women’s prison." Associated Press. 05/07/2021.
- "Video Visits At Utah State Prison Connect Incarcerated People And Their Loved Ones During The Pandemic." KUER 90.1. 04/23/2021.