- Native American Studies
- Indigenous Studies
- Emergent Technologies (Cryptocurrency, Blockchain, Artificial Intelligence)
- Digital Media
- Decolonial Participatory Action Research
- Critical and Cultural Studies
- Indigenous Communication Methods. Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 11/19/2021.
- Cordes, A., & Chávez, C. (2021). Decolonizing Practices in the Arctic: Regeneration of Indigenous Languages Within the Commercial Music System, International Communication Association, Virtual. Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 05/2021.
- Decolonial Constellatory Autoethnographic Mode of Indigenous Archaeology (DCAM).
- Indigenous Cryptocurrency: Finance, Capital, and the Digital Ghosts of Empire.
- Cordes, A. Challenging Settler Colonial Stories with Digital Data, Archaeology, and Communication. UiT The Arctic University of Norway.
- Cordes, A. (2021) Revisiting Stories and Voices of the Rogue River War. Oregon State University Lecture Series.
- Cordes, A. Resistance Artificial Intelligence at Neural Information Processing System (NeurIPS).
- Cordes, A. Mascot Controversy: Native American Representation in Sports. Florida Atlantic University.
- Brown Bag on Indigenous Futurisms, University of Utah, Department of Communication. Other, Presented, 03/03/2020.
- Cordes, A. (2020). Theories of Postcolonialism, Decolonization, and Race, presented at Dissoi Logoi, Rhetorical Society of America. Salt Lake City, UT. Presentation, Presented, 02/26/2020.
- Cordes, A. (2019). Unsettling Settler Origin Stories: Educational Refusal and Communication of Indigenous Survivance, National Communication Association, Baltimore, Maryland, November 14-17. Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 11/14/2019.
- Cordes, A. (2019). From the Gold Rush to the Code Rush, presented at Native Series, University of Oregon. Eugene, Oregon. Presentation, Presented, 05/03/2019.
- Cordes, A. (2019). #Donttrendonme: Millennial Coachella Appropriation on Instagram, The International Academic Forum, Tokyo, Japan, March 29-31, 2019. Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 03/30/2019.
- CHoRUS (Patient-Focused Collaborative Repository Uniting Standards for Equitable AI) , Other. 07/08/2020 - present.
- Women Writing Race, Research Professor. Led by Hokulani Aikau. 08/2019 - 06/2021.
- Indigenous Protocols Artificial Intelligence Working Group, Research Professor. 05/2019 - present. https://www.indigenous-ai.net/people/. Awards/Scholarships/Stipends: CIFAR funding.
Indigenous communities in what is now referred to as Canada.
Accra, Ghana (Media in Ghana Program in Summer 2015) Helped oversee 20 undergraduate students and to assist in producing a non-profit campaign in public maternal health. Research in Ghana: Chávez, C., & Cordes, A. (2017). Selling subversion: An African City and the promise of online television. Television and New Media, 19(3), 191-207. DOI:10.1177/1527476417712458. http://ghana.uoregon.edu/author/acordes.
- United States of America
Indigenous Nations in what is now referred to as the US.
- Cordes, Ashley (2021). Storying on the Coquille River: A digital humanities approach to human and non-human communication and prevention of the fall Chinook salmon extinction. [Website/Blog] URL https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/3678bc6932c74332b0d57adf3434aa55.
- Cordes, Ashley (2021). Indigenous music and the question of authenticity. In Media Res.
- Cordes, Ashley (2021). Revisiting stories and voices of the Rogue River War (1853-1856): A digital constellatory autoethnographic mode of Indigenous archaeology. Cultural Studies ↔ Critical Methodologies. Vol. 21(1), 56-69.
- Cordes, Ashley (2021). Indigenous cryptocurrency: Finance, capital, and the digital ghosts of empire. [Website/Blog] URL https://digitalmatters.utah.edu/cordes-2021-spr-fac-blogpost/.
- Kvidal-Røvik, Trine & Cordes, Ashley (2020). Into the unknown [Amas Mu Vuordá]? Listening to Indigenous voices on the meanings of Disney’s Frozen 2 [Jikŋon 2]. Journal of International and Intercultural Communication. Vol. 15(1), 17-35.
- Cordes, Ashley & Sabzalian, Leilani (2020). The urgent need for anticolonial media literacy. International Journal of Multicultural Education. Vol. 21(2), 182-201.
- Kronk Warner, E & Comer, A., Cordes, A. Dell, A., Menlove, B., Ned, D., Projansky, S., Sepulveda, C., Smoak, G., Villarreal, M. (2020). University of Utah land acknowledgement statement . University of Utah.
- Cordes, Ashley (2020). Meeting place: Bringing Native feminisms to bear on borders of cyberspace. Feminist Media Studies.
- Cordes, Ashley (2020). Envisioning the artificial: Technology, time, and Indigenizing the future of AI. (pp. 137-141). Vol. 1(1). The Initiative for Indigenous Futures and the Canadian Institute for Advanced Research (CIFAR).
- Lewis, Jason, Abdilla, Angie, Arista, Noelani, Baker Kaipulaumakaniolono, Benesiinaabandan, Scott, Brown, Michelle & Cordes, Ashley, et. al (2020). Introduction and Guidelines for Indigenous-Centered AI Design V.I. (pp. 3-26). Vol. 1(1). Initiative for Indigenous Futures and the Canadian Institute for Advanced Research (CIFAR).
- Cordes, Ashley (2020). Gifts of dentalium and fire: Entwining trust and care with AI. (pp. 58-68). Vol. 1(1). The Initiative for Indigenous Futures and the Canadian Institute for Advanced Research (CIFAR).
- Cordes, Ashley (2019). From the Gold Rush to the cryptocurrency code rush?: Communication of alternative currency for Native American communities (1853-2014) . (pp. 304). Dissertation Proquest.
- Cordes, Ashley & Merskin, Debra (2019). #DontTrendOnMe: Addressing appropriation of Native American-ness in millennial social media. (pp. 177-197). Lexington. Published, 08/15/2019.
- Cordes, Ashley (2019). ‘Aa-bv-lus ‘aa-t’e’s. Shu’ ‘al-srvn, shu’ ‘aa-ghvl-nvsh. Luminaire Press. Published, 07/08/2019.
- Cordes, Ashley (2019). Tr’e-ghes-tr’i’, tr’aa-xe tr’e-svt-te. Tr’aa- xe lhaa-ni tr’vt-t’i. Luminaire Press. Published, 07/08/2019.