My research asks how the historical conditions of technology and human perception impact the ways in which we experience and represent space and place.
- American Art, Sound Studies, Spatial Humanities, Acoustic Ecology, Media Studies, Digital Humanities
- "Machine-Made Families: An Algorithmic Genealogy," DHU4, Weber State University, UT, 2019 . Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 02/2019.
- "Building Support Systems for Collections-Based Scholarship." ARLIS/NA 47th Annual Conference, Salt Lake City, UT, 2019. Conference Paper, Refereed, Accepted, 12/2018.
- "Clean Ears, Soundmarks, and Schizophonia: Acoustic Ecology from the World Soundscape Project to One Square Inch," Environments and the Ecological Self, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY. Conference Paper, Presented, 04/2017.
- "Atlases of Apprehension: Mapping Creative and Quantitative Sensation in Interwar New York City," Sensorial Encounters: Body, Object, and Environment, University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS. Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 10/2016.
- "Speculative Bridging: A Proposal for Quantitative and Qualitative Approaches to Art through Sonification," Sound Art Matters XXVI, University of Aarhus, Aarhus, Denmark. Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 05/2016.
- "Capture/Create: Sonic Potentialities in Zones of Open Narrative," Silence!, McGill University, Montreal, ON. Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 04/2015.
- "Re-Recording History: Jacob Kirkegaard's Four Rooms and the Sonic Unconscious," Crossing the Boundaries XXIII: Cut and Paste, Binghamton University, Binghamton, NY. Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 03/2015.
- "Fantasy Crime in Real Time: The Limits of Mimesis in Rockstar Games' LA Noire," Imagined Worlds: Worldmaking in Arts and Literature, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, FI. Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 08/2013.
- Alana Wolf-Johnson (2017). "Photographing Modernity's End: Toward an Ontology of 'Ruin Porn". Pornorama: American Pornographies - Visual Culture, Literature, History, ed. Hanjo Beressem, LIT Verlag. Published, 01/2017.
- S. Alana Wolf-Johnson & Li Ding, Ahmed Elliethy, Eitan Freedenberg, Joshua Rompf, Peter Christensen, Gaurav Sharma (2016). "Comparative Analysis of Homologous Buildings Using Range Imaging". IEEE Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 4378-4382.
- S. Alana Wolf (2016). "Please Play: Sounding the Limits of Sonic Participation". Duke University Press: Polygraph. Vol. 25. Published, 06/2016.