My primary research interests include the use of religious music in the public schools, multicultural music education, and popular music education with a focus on issues of equity and inclusion in the music classroom.
- Religious Music in Public Schools
- Popular Music
- Multicultural Music
- Intercultural Competence
- Cultural Humility
- Patriotic Music in the Public Schools: Religion, Politics, and Perceptions. Poster session presented at the Utah Music Education Association Conference, St. George, UT. Other, Accepted, 11/01/2018.
- Religious Choral Music from the Christian, Jewish, and Muslim Worlds: An Intercultural Perspective. Presentation at the Utah American Choral Directors Association Conference, Sandy, UT. Presentation, Presented, 10/27/2018.
- The effects of a best selling children's naptime recording on the time to rest among pre-school children enrolled in a university child care center. Poster session presented at the National Association for Music Education Music Research and Teacher Education Conference, Atlanta, GA . Other, Presented, 03/18/2018.
- Ethnic/Multicultural Choral Music Reading Session. Presentation at the Louisiana American Choral Directors Association State Conference, New Orleans, LA. Other, Presented, 10/21/2017.
- Exploring a global view of religious music, Presentation at the Symposium on Music Teacher Education, Minneapolis, MN. Presentation, Presented, 09/09/2017.
- I’m mean, you’re christian...right?: Perceptions of religious music in the public schools. Paper presented at the Mid-South Music Education Research Symposium, University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS. Conference Paper, Presented, 02/18/2017.
- Religious music in the public schools: Applying policy, considering perceptions, and developing perspectives. Poster session presented at the Louisiana Music Educators Association State Conference, Baton Rouge, LA. Other, Presented, 11/20/2016.
- Fostering independent musicianship in the choral classroom: Sight-singing methods to engage and inspire your students. Presentation at the Louisiana American Choral Directors Association State Conference, New Orleans, LA. Presentation, Presented, 11/19/2016.
- Sight-reading in the choral classroom with Emily Mercado. Amused: A Music Educators' Podcast. Other, Presented, 02/20/2016.
- Pedagogical approaches to literacy in the choral classroom. Presentation at the Oregon Music Education Association State Conference, Eugene, OR. Presentation, Presented, 01/14/2012.
- From bari-tenor to barely there: Strategies for the middle school voice. Presentation and performance at the Oregon Music Education Association State Conference, Eugene, OR . Presentation, Presented, 01/15/2011.
- Mercado, E. M. (2019). Popular, informal, and vernacular music classrooms: A review of the literature. Update: Applications of Research in Music Education. Vol. 37(2), 30-37.
- Brunkan, M. C. & Mercado, E. M. (2018). A comparison of laboratory and virtual laryngeal dissection experiences on pre-service music educators' knowledge and perceptions . Journal of Voice.
- Isbell, D. S. & Bowers, J. P., Casselberry, J., Kyakuwa, J., Li, Y., Mercado, E. M., & Wallace, E. M. (2018). A descriptive study of the use of music during nap-time in childcare centers. . Journal of Research in Childhood Education. Accepted, 07/01/2018.
- Mercado, E. M. (2014). Creating meaningful student growth S.M.A.R.T. goals. Oregon Music Educator Journal. Vol. 66(1), 24-25. Published, 12/01/2014.