- Ali Mashadi, Abbas Rashidi & Nikola Markovic (2023). An Automated Federal Highway Administration Roadside Safety Rating System for Rural Roadways Using Computer Vision. Transportation Research Board. Published, 01/08/2023.
- Mohammad Farhadmanesh, Abbas Rashidi & Nikola Markovic (2022). Implementing Haar Cascade Classifiers for Automated Rapid Detection of Light Aircrafts at Local Airports. ASCE International Conference on Computing in Civil Engineering. Published, 05/24/2022.
- Mohamadreza Sheibani, Yinhu Wang, Gaby Ou & Nikola Markovic (2022). Efficient Structural Reconnaissance Surveying for Regional Postseismic Damage Inference with Optimal Inspection Scheduling. Journal of Engineering Mechanics. Published, 02/01/2022.
- Mohammad Farhadmanesh, Abbas Rashidi & Nikola Markovic (2022). An Image Processing Method for Light Aircraft Tail Number Detection in General Aviation Airports. Transportation Research Board. Published, 01/09/2022.
- Ali Mashadi, Nikola Markovic & Abbas Rashidi (2022). Estimating Construction Work Zones Capacity Using Deep Neural Network. Construction Research Congress. Published, 01/05/2022.
- Bahar Azin, Terry Yang, Nikola Markovic & Mingxi Liu (2021). Infrastructure enabled and electrified automation: Charging facility planning for cleaner smart mobility. Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment. Published, 12/01/2021.
I am interested in development and application of operations research models that help improve efficiency of transportation systems. In my dissertation I developed models for the optimal location of violator-intercepting facilities in large-scale transportation networks. This work won the Glover-Klingman prize for the best paper published in Networks. My ride-sharing algorithms are used by half a dozen companies transporting seniors and people with disabilities. Currently, my group is developing a software for routing snowplow trucks in Utah.
I am interested in applications of machine learning and data visualization techniques that either help inform decision-making or help automate relevant processes. I have worked extensively with millions of GPS trajectories and used them to estimate statewide traffic patterns and network performance. Currently, my group is developing a computer vision system to automatically collect aircraft operations data at Utah airports.
Interface of Optimization and Data Science
Traditional optimization approaches do not account for the cost of acquiring input data. My current research is concerned with developing methods for optimizing the amounts of data acquired for calibrating network optimization models. Similarly, traditional statistical methods for experimental design do not account for resource constraints that arise in any field collection of information. As part of multiple collaborative efforts, my group is currently working on algorithms to embed resource constraints into optimal learning procedures.
- Transportation Engineering
- Operations Research
- Data-driven robust resource allocation with monotonic cost functions. Presented at the 2022 INFORMS Annual Meeting. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 10/18/2022.
- My PhD student, Yinhu Wang, gave a talk at the 2022 INFORMS annual meeting titled: "Resource Allocation subject to Stochastic Failures.". Other, Presented, 10/16/2022.
- Seth Miller, Graduate Student. MS non-thesis. 01/07/2019 - 12/31/2019.