- Herbert, Z. C, Asghar, Z & Oroza, C. A. (2021). Long-term reservoir inflow forecasts: Enhanced water supply and inflow volume accuracy using deep learning. Journal of Hydrology. Published, 10/01/2021.
- Maurer, T., Avanzi, F., Oroza, C. A., Glaser, S. D., Conklin, M. & Bales, R. C. (2021). Optimizing spatial distribution of watershed-scale hydrologic models using Gaussian Mixture Models. Environmental Modelling & Software. Published, 08/01/2021.
- Johnson, R. C, Wolf, M., Jamison, L., Burian, S., Oroza, C. A., Brooks, P. D, Strong, C., Stewart, J. & Kirkham, T. (2021). Drought in the West: Embedded Water Demand Stationarity Compromises System Vulnerability Analysis. Open Water Journal. Published, 05/24/2021.
- Oroza, C. A, Giraldo, J. A, Parvania, M. & Watteyne, T. (2021). Wireless-Sensor Network Topology Optimization in Complex Terrain: A Bayesian Approach. IEEE Internet of Things Journal. Published, 05/21/2021.
- Ahmed, W., (2020). Modelling Groundwater Hydraulics to Design a Groundwater Level Monitoring Network for Sustainable Management of Fresh Groundwater Lens in Lower Indus Basin, Pakistan. Applied Sciences. Published, 07/28/2020.
- Sun D, Wainwright HM, Oroza CA, Seki A, Mikami S, Takemiya H & Saito K (2020). Optimizing long-term monitoring of radiation air-dose rates after the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant. Journal of environmental radioactivity. Vol. 220-221, 106281. Published, 04/26/2020.
- Francesco Avanzi , Ryan Johnson, Carlos A Oroza, Hiroyuki Hirashima, Tessa Maurer & Satoru Yamaguchi (2019). Insights into preferential-flow snowpack runoff using Random Forest. Water Resources Research. Published, 11/28/2019.
- Jiada Li, Steve Burian & Carlos A Oroza (2019). Exploring the potential for simulating system-level controlled smart stormwater system. ASCE. Published, 05/16/2019.
- Haruko Wainwright, Carlos Oroza, Dajie Sun, Akiyuki Seki, Satoshi Mikami & Kimiaki Saito (2019). Optimizing Long-term Monitoring of Radiation Air Dose Rates. WM Symposia. Published, 03/03/2019.
- Roger C. Bales, Erin M. Stacy, Mohammad Safeeq, Xiande Meng, Matthew Meadows, Carlos A. Oroza, Martha Conklin, Steven D. Glaser & Joseph Wagenbrenner (2018). Spatially distributed water-balance and meteorological data from the rain-snow transition, southern Sierra Nevada, California. Earth Syst. Sci. Data Discuss. Published, 10/09/2018.
- Zeshi Zheng, Noah P. Molotch, Carlos A. Oroza, Martha H. Conklin & Roger C. Bales (2018). Spatial snow water equivalent estimation for mountainous areas using wireless-sensor networks and remote-sensing products. Remote Sensing of Environment. Published, 09/15/2018.
- Carlos A. Oroza, Roger C. Bales, Erin M. Stacy, Zeshi Zheng & Steven D. Glaser (2018). Long-term variability of soil moisture in the Southern Sierra: Measurement and prediction. Vadose Zone Jornal. Published, 07/05/2018.
- Carlos A. Oroza, Ziran Zhang, Thomas Watteyne & Steven D. Glaser (2017). A machine-learning based connectivity model for complex terrain large-scale low-power wireless deployments. IEEE Transactions on Cognitive Communications and Networking. Published, 12/01/2017.
- Sami A. Malek, Francesco Avanzi , Keoma Brun-Laguna, Tessa Maurer, Carlos A. Oroza, Peter C. Hartsough, Thomas Watteyne & Steven D. Glaser (2017). Real-time alpine measurement system using wireless sensor networks. Sensors. Published, 11/09/2017.
- Keoma Brun-Laguna (2017). Sol: An end-to-end solution for real-world remote monitoring systems. IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC). Published, 09/04/2017.
- Keoma Brun-Laguna (2016). Sierranet: monitoring the snowpack in the Sierra Nevada: demo. Proceedings of the Eleventh ACM Workshop on Challenged Networks. Published, 10/03/2016.
- Carlos A. Oroza, Zeshi Zheng, Steven D. Glaser, Devis Tuia & Roger C. Bales (2016). Optimizing embedded sensor network design for catchment-scale snow-depth estimation using LIDAR and machine learning. Water Resources Research. Published, 09/27/2016.
- David E. Rheinheimer, Roger C. Bales, Carlos A. Oroza, Jay R. Lund & Joshua H. Viers (2016). Valuing year-to-go hydrologic forecast improvements for a peaking hydropower system in the Sierra Nevada. Water Resources Research. Published, 04/22/2016.
- Andrew Tinka, Qingfang Wu, Kevin Weekly, Carlos A. Oroza, Jonathan Beard & Alexandre M. Bayen (2015). Heterogeneous fleets of active and passive floating sensors for river studies. Journal of Field Robotics. Published, 09/10/2015.
- Carlos A. Oroza, Andrew Tinka, Paul K. Wright & Alexandre M. Bayen (2013). Design of a network of robotic Lagrangian sensors for shallow water environments with case studies for multiple applications. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, 2013. Published, 02/26/2013.
- Jonathan Beard, Kevin Weekly, Carlos A. Oroza, Andrew Tinka & Alexandre M. Bayen (2012). Mobile phone based drifting Lagrangian flow sensors. in IEEE 3rd International Conference on Networked Embedded Systems for Every Application (NESEA). Published, 12/13/2012.
My present research is focused on how large-scale, low-power sensor networks, machine learning, data-driven optimization methods, and remote sensing can be combined to address critical societal needs, such as improving water-resources management and mitigating the effects of natural and man-made disasters. I am also interested in how data from large-scale sensor networks can be used to better inform the scientific research community and resource-management agencies.
- Water Resources Engineering
- Sensor Networks
- Machine Learning
- Johnson, Ryan; Liljestrand, Dane; Oroza, Carlos; Jain, Karnesh; Halgren, James S; Burian, Steven J; ,The National Snow Model: Full Stack Open-Source Machine Learning Snow Water Equivalent Inference Model, AGU 2022 Fall Meeting. Other, Presented, 12/2022.
- Dane Liljestrand, Carlos Oroza, Mihai Cimpoiasu, Harry Harrison, James Bradley, Oliver Kuras, Pacifica Sommers, Trevor Irons, Steven Schmidt. Continuous, year-round monitoring of snow-pack and soil properties of an emerging glacial forefield in the Arctic, AGU 2022 Fall Meeting. Other, Presented, 12/2022.
- Liljestrand, Dane; Johnson, Ryan; Jain, Karnesh; Halgren, James; Oroza, Carlos; Burian, Steven J, Interactive Deep-Learning Modeling of Snow Water Equivalent Through Application of The National Snow Model With Geoweaver. AGU Fall Meeting 2022. Other, Presented, 12/2022.
- Liljestrand, D., Oroza, C., Neilson, B. T., Strong, P., & Cotter, E. (2021, December). Leveraging LIDAR, Machine Learning, and Citizen-Science for Low-Cost, High-Resolution Snow-Depth Estimation. In AGU Fall Meeting 2021. AGU. Other, Presented, 12/15/2021.
- Johnson, R., Oroza, C., Moodie, N., & Jia, W. (2021, December). Quantifying the performance of a machine learning surrogate model for CO2 saturation and pressure forecasts for dedicated CO2 storage. In AGU Fall Meeting 2021. AGU. Other, Presented, 12/13/2021.
- Towards real-time water resources monitoring in the Western US with wireless-sensor networks and citizen science. Utah State University. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 11/17/2021.
- Cotter, E., Wainwright, H. M., & Oroza, C. (2020, December). Simultaneous optimization of snow and soil sensor locations using machine learning in East River, Colorado. In AGU Fall Meeting Abstracts (Vol. 2020, pp. H049-05). Other, Presented, 12/01/2020.
- Zeeshan Asghar, Carlos A. Oroza, Sally E Thompson, Xue Feng, Gabrielle F.S. Boisrame, Ram L Ray, Mckenzie Skiles, and Roger C Bales. Toward a process-based understanding of precipitation-phase impacts on streamflow. AGU Fall Meeting 2019. Other, Presented, 12/13/2019.
- Zulfiqar Ali, Waqas Ahmed, Carlos Anthony Oroza, Dr. Abdul Latif Qureshi. Evaluation of an existing groundwater monitoring network in Dad division, district Shaheed Benazir Abad, Lower Indus basin. Other, Submitted, 08/19/2019.
- Jiada Li, Steven Burian, Zachary J. Bortolot, Carlos A. Oroza.'' Tracking Historical Land-use Cover Change in Urban Drainage Catchments Using: Random Forest and Support Vector Machine.'' 2019 CUAHSI Conference on Hydroinformatics. Other, Presented, 08/01/2019.
- The future of water availability in the Western US: Developing in-situ sensing technologies for hypothesis testing. The University of Oregon. Other, Presented, 03/06/2019.
- Maurer, Tessa, Francesco Avanzi, Carlos Oroza, Sami Andrew Malek, Steven D. Glaser, Roger C. Bales, and Martha H. Conklin. "Using wireless sensor networks to improve understanding of rain-on-snow events across the Sierra Nevada." In AGU Fall Meeting Abstracts. 2017. Other, Presented, 12/15/2017.
- Oroza, Carlos, Roger C. Bales, Zeshi Zheng, and Steven D. Glaser. "Spatial Variability of Soil-Water Storage in the Southern Sierra Critical Zone Observatory: Measurement and Prediction." In AGU Fall Meeting Abstracts. 2017. Other, Presented, 12/14/2017.
- C. Oroza, Z. Zheng, Z. Zhang, S. Glaser, R. Bales, and M. Conklin,“In-situ monitoring of California’s drought: Impacts on key hydrologic variables in the Southern Sierra Nevada (invited),” in 2015 AGU Fall Meeting, AGU, 2015. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 12/18/2015.
- C. Oroza, Z. Zheng, Z. Zhang, S. Glaser, R. Bales, and M. Conklin, “Optimization methods for multi-scale sampling of soil moisture and snow in the Southern Sierra Nevada (invited),” in 2015 AGU Fall Meeting, AGU, 2015. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 12/17/2015.
- C. Oroza, Z. Zheng, S. Glaser, R. Bales, and M. Conklin, “Optimization of sensor placements using machine learning and LIDAR data: a case study for a snow monitoring network in the Sierra Nevada,” in AGU Fall Meeting Abstracts, vol. 1, p. 0412, 2014. Other, Presented, 12/18/2014.
- Z. Zhang, C. Oroza, S. Glaser, R. Bales, and M. Conklin, “Developing a robust wireless sensor network structure for environmental sensing,” in AGU Fall Meeting Abstracts, vol. 1, p. 0630, 2013. Other, Presented, 12/09/2013.
- B. Kerkez, Z. Zhang, C. Oroza, S. Glaser, and R. Bales, “Connecting the snowpack to the internet of things: an IPv6 architecture for providing real-time measurements of hydrologic systems,” in AGU Fall Meeting Abstracts, vol. 1, p. 07, 2012. Other, Presented, 12/06/2012.
Geographical Regions of Interest
- United States of America