LuMing’s scholarship is centered on the intersectionalities of rhetoric, writing, culture, history, and philosophy. He is deeply committed to studying rhetorics across time and space, especially those that have been under-represented, misrepresented, or not represented at all. Toward that end, he has articulated a new kind of comparative rhetorical theory, one that enacts a discursive interdependence-in-difference. His work has not only challenged Euro-American conceptions of Chinese and Asian/Asian American rhetorics but also provided new methods of analysis for transforming dominant narratives of rhetoric in general and for depicting diverse rhetorical experiences of Chinese and Asian/Asian Americans in particular. His “art of recontextualization,” a method that relies on terms of interdependence and intereconnectivity to constitute and regulate representation of all discursive practices, has contributed to a more dynamic, multidimensional understanding of the relationship between local and global, self and other, digital and alphabetic, and cultural and material.
- Editor (2016). Rhetoric Studies in a Global Perspective: Symposium, in Contemporary Rhetoric . (pp. 1-36). Vol. 197. Fudan University Press. Published, 09/2016.
- Editor & Bo Wang (2015). Manifesting a Future for Comparative Rhetoric: Symposium, in Rhetoric Review. (pp. 239-274). Vol. 34. Routledge. Published, 10/2015.
- Editor (2014). Comparative Rhetoric: Traversing Rhetorical Times, Places, and Spaces. Routledge. Published, 10/2014.
- Author & Jianfeng Wang, Translator (2013). The Chinese edition of Reading Chinese Fortune Cookie, with a new introduction. Fudan University Press. Published, 09/2013.
- Editor (2013). Comparative Rhetoric. Special Issue of Rhetoric Society Quarterly. Vol. 43. Routledge. Published, 07/2013.
- Editor (2010). Studying Chinese Rhetoric in the Twenty-First Century. Special Issue of College English. NCTE. Published, 03/2010.
- Editor (2009). Comparative Rhetorical Studies in the New Contact Zone: Chinese Rhetoric Reimagined: Symposium, in College Composition and Communication. (pp. W32-W121). Vol. 60. NCTE. Published, 06/2009.
- Editor & Morris Young (2008). Representations: Doing Asian American Rhetoric. Utah State University Press. Published, 10/2008.
- Author (2006). Reading Chinese Fortune Cookie: The Making of Chinese American Rhetoric. Utah State University Press. Published, 10/2006.