I am a qualitative researcher and ethnographer, committed to engaged, critical scholarship that is conducted in partnership with youth and communities. My research looks at community-based, culturally-sustaining approaches to education and civic engagement in urban, low-income communities and Communities of Color. This work spans an array of research topics including family-school partnerships, youth and parent organizing, community-engaged scholarship, culturally sustaining pedagogy, and the role of art and culture in social change.
- What is Project HIP-HOP? A Participatory Video Research Project:
- Rifelj, K., & Kuttner, P. J. (Forthcoming). Evidence of failure: How high school counselors and administrators make sense of promise scholarship merit requirements. Teachers College Record. . Accepted, 03/26/2019.
- Kuttner, P. J., Byrne, K., Schmit, K., & Munro, S. (2019). The art of convening: How community engagement professionals build place-based community-university partnerships for systemic change. Journal of Higher Education Outreach and Engagement, 23(1). . Published, 03/26/2019.
- Byrne, K., Kuttner, P. J., Mohammad, A., Goldberg, E., & Magaña, G. R. (2018). This is our home: Initiating participatory action housing research with refugees and immigrant communities in a time of unwelcome. Action Research..
- Coe, K., & Kuttner, P. J. (2018). Education coverage in television news: A typology and analysis of 35 years of topics. AERA Open.
- Lopez, G. Yanagui, A., & Kuttner, P. J. (2017). What Does Partnership Taste Like? Reimagining Family-School Partnerships through Participatory Design Research. Family Leadership Design Collaborative.
- Kuttner, P. J., Sousanis, N., Weaver-Hightower, M. (2017). How to draw comics the scholarly way: Comics-based research in the academy. In P. Leavy (Ed.), Handbook of Arts-Based Research. New York: Guilford Press. Published, 07/01/2017.
- Kuttner, P. J. (2016) Hip-hop citizens: Arts-based, culturally sustaining civic engagement pedagogy. Harvard Educational Review, 86(4), pp. 527-555.
- Kuttner, P. J. (2015). Educating for cultural citizenship: Reframing the goals of arts education. Curriculum Inquiry, 45(1).
- Warren, M., Mapp, K., & Kuttner, P. J. (2015). From private citizens to public actors: The development of parent leaders through community organizing. In M. Evans & D. Hiatt-Michael (Eds.), Promising practices in community-based educational change. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Kuttner, P. J., & White-Hammond, M. (2015). (Re)Building the cypher: Fulfilling the promise of hip-hop for liberation. In C. Malone and G. Martinez (Eds.), The organic globalizer: The political development of hip hop. New York: Bloomsbury Press.
- Mapp, K. L., & Kuttner, P. J. (2014). Partners in education: A dual capacity building framework for school-family partnerships. Austin, TX: Southwest Educational Development Lab.
- Kuttner, P. J. (2013). The beauty of transformation: Becoming a cultural organizer. Journal of Curriculum Theorizing, 29(2).
- Bahena, S., Cooc, N., Currie-Rubin, R., Kuttner, P. J., & Ng, M. (Eds.). (2012). Disrupting the school-to-prison pipeline. Cambridge, MA: Harvard Educational Review.
- Warren, M., Mapp, K., and the Community Organizing and School Reform Project. (2011). A match on dry grass: Community organizing as a catalyst for school reform. New York: Oxford University Press.