- Leticia Alvarez Gutiérrez, Taeyeon Kim, Sonny Partolo, Paul J. Kuttner, Amadou Niang, Almaida Yanagui, Laura Hernández, Gerardo R. López & Jennifer Mayer-Glenn (2022). Community-centered school leadership: Radical care and aperturas during COVID-19. AERA Open. Vol. 8, 1-14.
- Ana Antunes, Adrienne Cachelin, Laneta Fitisemanu, Melsihna Folau, Sara Hart, Paul J. Kuttner & Anahy Salcedo (2022). Establishing principles for community-based research: Story and power in the Community Research Collaborative. Metropolitan Universities. Vol. 33, 52-68.
- Paul J. Kuttner, Almaida Yanagui, Gerardo R. López, Annie Barton & Jennifer Mayer-Glenn (2022). Moments of connection: Building humanizing relationships between families and educators through participatory design research. Journal of Family Diversity in Education. Vol. 4, 141-159.
- Kara Byrne, Paul J. Kuttner, Abdulkhaliq Mohammad, Ellie Goldberg & Gilberto Rejon Manana (2021). This is our home: Initiating participatory action housing research with refugees and immigrant communities in a time of unwelcome. Action Research. Vol. 19, 393-410.
- Leticia Alvarez-Gutierrez, Laura Hernandez, Taeyeon Kim, Paul J. Kuttner, Gerardo Lopez, Jennifer Mayer-Glenn, Amadou Niang & Alma Yanagui (2020). Family-School Relationships Are the Missing Link in COVID-19 Era Education. Ed Week.
- Paul J. Kuttner, Marcus Weaver-Hightower & Nick Sousanis (2020). Comics-based research: The affordances of comics for research across disciplines. Qualitative Research.
- Kevin Coe, Paul J. Kuttner, Dakota E Park-Ozee, Manusheela Pokharel & Meaghan McKasy (2020). The ‘discourse of derision’ in news coverage of education: A mixed-methods analysis of an emerging frame. American Journal of Education. Vol. 126, 423–445.
- Kelly Rifelj & Paul J. Kuttner (2020). Evidence of failure: How high school counselors and administrators make sense of promise scholarship merit requirements. Teachers College Record. Vol. 122.
- Paul J. Kuttner, Sarah Munro, Kara Byrne & Kim Schmit (2019). The art of convening: How community engagement professionals build place-based community-university partnerships for systemic change. Journal of Higher Education Outreach and Engagement. Vol. 23, 131-160.
- Kevin Coe & Paul J. Kuttner (2018). Education coverage in television news: A typology and analysis of 35 years of topics. AERA Open.
- Paul J. Kuttner, Nick Sousanis & Marcus Weaver-Hightower (2017). How to draw comics the scholarly way: Comics-based research in the academy. Guilford Press.
- Paul J. Kuttner (2016). Hip-Hop Citizens: Arts-Based, Culturally Sustaining Civic Engagement Pedagogy. Harvard Educational Review. 527-555.
- Paul J. Kuttner (2015). Educating for Cultural Citizenship: Reframing the goals of Arts Education. Curriculum Inquiry. Vol. 45.
- Mark R. Warren, Karen L. Mapp & Paul J. Kuttner (2015). From private citizens to public actors: The development of parent leaders through community organizing. Information Age.
- Paul J. Kuttner & Mariama White-Hammond (2014). (Re)Building the cypher: Fulfilling the promise of hip-hop for liberation. . Bloomsbury.
- Karen L. Mapp & Paul J. Kuttner (2013). Partners in education: A dual capacity building framework for school-family partnerships.. Southwest Educational Development Lab.
- Paul J. Kuttner (2013). The beauty of transformation: Becoming a cultural organizer. Journal of Curriculum Theorizing. Vol. 29.
- Sofia Bahena, North Cooc, Rachel Currie Rubin, Paul J. Kuttner & Monica Ng (2012). Disrupting the school-to-prison pipeline. Harvard Educational Review.
- Mark R. Warren, Karen L. Mapp & Community Organizing and School Reform Project (2011). A match on dry grass: Community organizing as a catalyst for school reform. Oxford University Press.
research focuses on the interrelationships between educational institutions and the communities of which they are a part. I am interested in “how” questions that open up possibilities for change — how low-wealth communities of color and other communities that have been marginalized and oppressed by our school systems can build power and equitably partner with educational institutions. Specific topics include: K-12 family-school-community partnerships; parent and youth organizing; university-community partnerships; engaged research methods; and culturally sustaining approaches to education and social change.