- McCrum, M., Allen, CM., Han, J., Iantorno, SE., Presson, AP., Wan, N. 2023. Greater spatial access to care is associated with lower mortality for emergency general surgery. Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery 94 (2): 264-272. Published, 12/14/2022.
- *Han, J., Wan, N., McCrum, M., and Brewer, S. 2023. Spatial Access to Emergency General Surgery (EGS) Services and EGS Bypass Behaviors in California. Annals of GIS 29(1): 75-85. Published, 12/07/2022.
- Pearson, J., Wan, N., and others. 2023. Geospatial analysis of patients’ social determinants of health for health systems science and disparity research. International Anesthesiology Clinics 61(1):49-62. Published, 11/08/2022.
- McCrum, M., Wan, N., Han, J., Lizotte, S., and J. Horns. 2022. Disparities in Spatial Access to Emergency Surgical Services in the US. JAMA Health Forum 3(10). Published, 10/11/2022.
- *Steed, R., Bakian, A., Smith, K.R., Wan, N., Brewer, S., and J. VanDerslice. 2022. Evidence of Transgenerational Effects on Autism Spectrum Disorder Using Multigenerational Space-Time Cluster Detection. International Journal of Health Geographics 21(1):13. Published, 08/09/2022.
- *Karl, A., Wan, N., Cova, T., Wang, H., and Lizotte, S. 2022. Using GIS to Understand the Influence of Hurricanes on Spatial Access to Primary Care: A Case study of Hurricane Harvey in Harris County, TX. Risk Analysis 42 (4): 896-911. Published, 08/01/2022.
- *Sharareh, N., Wallace, A., Brintz, B., Wan, N., Guo, J.W., and Wong, B. 2022. Associated factors with patient-reported unmet food needs among emergency department adult patients – a social need perspective. Preventive Medicine Reports 29, 101974. Published, 07/05/2022.
- Wan, N., McCrum, M., Han, J., Lizotte, S., Su, D., Wen, M., and S. Zeng. 2022. Measuring Spatial Access to Emergency General Surgery Services: Does the Method Matter?. Health Services and Outcomes Research Methodology 22 (1): 79-95. Published, 02/09/2022.
- Hohl, A., Choi, M., Yellow Horse, A.J., Medina, R., Wan, N., and M. Wen. 2022. Spatial Distribution of Hateful Tweets Against Asians and Asian Americans During the COVID-19 Pandemic, November 2019 to May 2020. American Journal of Public Health 112(4): 646–649. Published, 01/12/2022.
- *Anderson, J., Su, D., Dylan, S., Wen, M., Wan, N., and T. Michaud. 2021. Racial Disparities in Diabetes Management Outcomes: Evidence from a Remote Patient Monitoring Program for Type 2 Diabetic Patients. Telemedicine and E-health 27(1): 55-61. Published, 12/10/2021.
- *Xu, S., Zou, B., Xiong, Y., Wan, N., Feng, H., Hu, C., and L, Yan. 2021. High spatiotemporal resolution mapping of PM2. 5 concentrations under a pollution scene assumption. Journal of Cleaner Production 326: 129409. Accepted, 12/01/2021.
- McCrum, M., Wan, N., Lizotte, S., Han, J., Nirula, R., and T. Varghese. 2021. Use of the Spatial Access Ratio to Measure Geospatial Access to Emergency General Surgery Services in California. Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery 90(5):853-860. Published, 12/01/2021.
- *Xiao, W., Wei, D., and N. Wan. 2021. Modeling Job Accessibility Using Online Map Data: An Extended Two-step Floating Catchment Area Method with Multiple Travel Modes. Journal of Transport Geography (in press). Accepted, 12/01/2021.
- Nahum-Shani, I., Potter, L.N., Lam, C.Y., Yap, J., Moreno, A., Stoffel, R., Wu, Z., Wan, N., Dempsey, W., Kumar, S., Ertin, E., Murphy, S.A., Rehg, J.M., & Wetter, D.W. The Mobile Assistance for Regulating Smoking (MARS) Micro-Randomized Trial Design Protocol. Contemporary Clinical Trials 110: 106513. Published, 12/01/2021.
- *McCullough, M., Wan, N., Pezzolesi, M., Collins, T., Grineski, S.E., Wei, D., Lazaro-Guevara, J., Frodsham, S., Vanderslice, J., Holmen, J., Srinivas, T., and S, Clements. 2021. Type 1 Diabetes Incidence among Youth in Utah: A Geographical Analysis. Social Science & Medicine (in press). Accepted, 09/01/2021.
- *Kwon, S., Wan, N., Burns, R., Brusseau, T., Kim, Y., Kumar, S., Ertin, E., Wetter, W.D., Lam, C. Y., Wen, M., and W. Byun. 2021. The validity of MotionSense HRV in estimating sedentary behavior and physical activity under free-living and simulated activity settings. Sensors 21(4), 1411. Published, 02/10/2021.
- Zou, B., Li, S., Zhong, Z., Zhan, F.B., Yang, Z., and N. Wan. 2020. Healthier routes planning: a new method and online implementation for minimizing air pollution exposure risk. Computers, Environment and Urban Systems 80: 101456. Published, 12/22/2020.
- *Sharareh, N., Hess, R., Wan, N., Zick, C., and A. Wallace. 2020. Incorporation of Information Seeking Behavior into Food Insecurity Research. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 58(6): 879-887. Published, 12/02/2020.
- *Chatterjee, S., Moreno, A., *Lizotte, S. L., Akther, S., Ertin, E., Fagundes, C. P., Lam, C., Rehg, J. M., Wan, N., Wetter, D., Kumar, S. (2020) SmokingOpp: Detecting the Smoking ‘Opportunity’ Context Using Mobile Sensors. in Proc. of ACM on Interactive, Mobile, Wearable and Ubiquitous Technologies (IMWUT). Published, 04/01/2020.
- Li, D., Cova, T., Dennison, P., Wan, N., Nguyen, Q., and L, Siebeneck. 2019. Why do we need a national address point database to improve wildfire public safety in the US? International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction, 101237. Accepted, 07/01/2019.
- Wan, N., Siahpush, M., Shaikh, RA., McCarthy, M., Ramos, A., and Correa, A. The association of point-of-sale e-cigarette advertising with socio-demographic characteristics of neighborhoods. Journal of Primary Prevention 39(3): 191-203. Published, 12/2018.
- Wan, N., M, Wen., J, Fan., F, Tavake-Pasi., S, McCormick., K, Elliott., E, Nicolosi. 2018. Physical Activity Barriers and Facilitators among U.S. Pacific Islanders and the Feasibility of Using Mobile Technologies for Intervention: A Focus Group Study with Tongan Americans. Journal of Physical Activity and Health 15(4): 287-294. Published, 12/2018.
- Wan, N., Siahpush, M., Shaikh, RA., McCarthy, M., Ramos, A., and Correa, A. Point-of-sale E-cigarette Advertising among Tobacco Stores. Journal of Community Health 42(6):1179-1186. Published, 11/2018.
- Wang, H., Gregg, A., Qiu, F., Kim, J., Chen, B., Su, D., Michaud, T., Wan, N., Chen, L. 2018. Breast cancer screening for patients of rural Accountable Care Organization clinics: A multi-level analysis of barriers and facilitators. Journal of Community Health 43(2): 248-258. Published, 10/2018.
- Lin, Y., Wan, N., Sheets, R., Gong, X., A, Davies. 2018. A Multi-modal Relative Spatial Access Assessment Approach to Measure Spatial Accessibility to Primary Care Providers. International Journal of Health Geographics 17:33. Published, 05/15/2018.
- Siahpush, M., Shaikh, R. A., Wan, N., et al. 2017. Neighborhood exposure to point-of-sale price promotions for cigarette is associated with financial stress among smokers: Results from a population-based study. Tobacco Control 26: 703-708. Published, 09/01/2017.
- Wan, N & G. Lin. 2017. Addressing Location Uncertainties in GPS-based Activity Monitoring: a Methodological Framework. Transactions in GIS. 21(4): 764-781.
- Lin, Y., Wan, N., FB Zhan. 2017. Colorectal cancer disparities among racial/ethnic minorities in Texas. Annals of GIS 23(2): 93-101. Published, 08/2017.
- Wen, M., Fan, J., Kowaleski-Jones, L., and N, Wan. Rural-urban Disparities in Overweight and Obesity among Working Age Adults in the United States: Patterns and Mechanisms. American Journal of Health Promotion (in press, doi: 10.1177/0890117116689488). Published, 08/2017.
- Wang, H., Qiu, F., Gregg, A., Chen, B., Kim, J., Young, L,. Wan, N., and Chen, L. Barriers and Facilitators of Colorectal Cancer Screening for Patients of Rural Accountable Care Organizations Clinics: A Multi-Level Analysis. Journal of Rural Health (in press, doi: 10.1111/jrh.12248). Published, 05/2017.
- Fan, J., Wen, M., and Wan, N. Built Environment and Active Commuting: Rural-Urban Differences in the U.S. SSM – Population Health 3: 435-441. Published, 02/2017.
- Wan, N & G. Lin. 2016. Classifying Human Activity Patterns from Smartphone Collected GPS data: A Fuzzy Classification and Aggregation Approach. Transactions in GIS (DOI. 10.1111/tgis.12181). Accepted, 09/01/2016.
- Zhai, L., Zou, B., Fang, X., Luo, Y., Wan, N., S, Li. 2016. Land Use Regression Modeling of PM2. 5 Concentrations at Optimized Spatial Scales. Atmosphere 8 (1), 1. Published, 09/01/2016.
- Zou, B., Zheng, Z., Wan, N., Qiu, Y., and J.G. Wilson. 2016. An optimized spatial proximity model for fine particulate matter air pollution exposure assessment in areas of sparse monitoring. International Journal of Geographical Information Science 30 (4), 727-747. Published, 09/01/2016.
- Wan, N. 2015. Pesticides exposure modeling based on GIS and remote sensing land use data. Applied Geography 56: 99-106. Published, 10/01/2015.
- Wan, N & G, Lin. 2015. Classifying Human Activity Patterns from Smartphone Collected GPS data: a Fuzzy Classification and Aggregation Approach. Transactions in GIS (In Press). Accepted, 10/01/2015.
- Zou, B., Luo, Y., Wan, N., Zheng, Z., Sternberg, T., and Liao, Y. 2015. Performance comparison of LUR and OK in PM2.5 concentration mapping: a multidimensional perspective. Scientific Reports 5: 8698. Published, 02/13/2015.
- Dong, M., Zou, B., Pu, Qian., Wan, N., Yang, L., Luo, Y. 2014. Spatial pattern evolution and causal analysis of county level economy in Chang-Zhu-Tan urban agglomeration, China. Chinese Geographical Science 24(5): 620-630. Published, 03/2014.
I am a medical/health geographer specializing in Geographic Information Science (GIScience) and epidemiology. My research interest is about using spatial and GIS methods to solve environment and public health problems. My research topics in GIS methodology include uncertainty analysis, data mining, and spatial modeling. My research in medical/health domain involves using mobile technologies to solve problems related with aging and physical inactivity, modeling human exposure to environmental pollutants such as air pollution and agricultural pesticides, modeling spatial access to healthcare services, and understanding disparities in health and healthcare. I have lead a NIH R03 project using smartphones to measure physical activity and functional status of older adults and an American Cancer Society grant on understanding physical activity patterns of American Pacific Islanders. I am also working as a co-investigator on several other NIH grants on smoking cessation and healthcare accessibility.
- Social Determinants of Health
- Public Health
- Physical Activity
- Pesticides Exposure
- Parkinson's Disease
- Mobile Health
- Healthcare Accessibility
- Health Disparities
- Geographic Information Science
- Environmental Health
- Wan, N. 2019. (Invited Talk) The Applications of GIScience in Public Health. Utah Valley University, October 22nd, 2019. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 10/22/2019.
- Wan, N, et al., 2019. Applying Mobile Technologies in Public Health Research: Challenges and Opportunities for Geographers. Annual Meeting of the American Association of Geographers, Washington DC, April 4, 2019. Conference Paper, Presented, 04/04/2019.
- Davis, A., Wan, N., VanDerslice, J., Power, M. Childhood Undernutrition within the Dry Zone of Myanmar: Does Geographic Location Matter? Annual Meeting of the Association of American Geographers, Boston, MA, April 14, 2017. Poster, Presented, 04/14/2017.
- Wan, N., Dassel, K., Edelman, L., Farrell, T., et al. 2016. Interactions Between Life-Space and Quality of Life in Spousal Dyads Coping with Chronic Conditions. The Gerontological Society of America's 69th Annual Scientific Meeting. New Orleans, LA. Poster, Presented, 07/01/2016.
- Wan, N. 2016. Understanding and Addressing Spatial Uncertainties of GPS-based Activity Monitoring in Human-Environment Studies. Workshop on Human-Environmental Sciences: Opportunities and Challenges in Big Data and Smart Planet. San Marcos, TX, April 5, 2016. Presentation, Presented, 04/05/2016.
- Wan, N. 2016. Parkinson's Disease and Pesticides Exposure: New Findings from a Comprehensive Study in Nebraska, USA. Annual Meeting of the Association of American Geographers, San Francisco, CA, April 1, 2016. Presentation, Presented, 04/01/2016.
- Wan, N. 2015. Understanding life-space characteristics based on smart-phone collected data. Annual Meeting of the Association of American Geographers, Chicago, IL, April 23, 2015. Presentation, Presented, 04/23/2015.
- Wan, N., Siahpush, M., McCarthy, M., Ramos, R., Correa, A., Shaikh, R. 2015. Point-of-sale e-cigarette marketing among tobacco stores. 21st Annual Meeting of the Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco, Philadelphia, PA. Poster, Accepted, 01/29/2015.
- Wan, N., Siahpush, M., McCarthy, M., Ramos, R., Correa, A., Shaikh, R. 2015. The association of e-cigarette marketing with socioeconomic and demographic characteristics of neighborhoods. 21st Annual Meeting of the Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco, Philadelphia, PA. Poster, Accepted, 01/29/2015.
- Wan, N. 2014. Deploying Mobile Monitoring for Aging Research: Conceptual and Methodological Perspectives. American Public Health Association 142nd Annual Meeting. New Orleans, LA. Poster, Presented, 11/21/2014.
- Wan, N. 2014. (invited talk) GIS applications in public health, healthcare, and the environment. The Utah Department of Health, Salt Lake City, UT. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 11/20/2014.
- English, fluent.
Geographical Regions of Interest
- United States of America