My research revolves around sensor systems, including topics such as front-end sensor interfacing, signal conditioning electronics, sensor design, feature extraction, data readout and processing. I work on emerging technologies including neural recording and stimulation, brain machine interfacing, biosensing for threat detection and diagnostics, and image/video/sound/localization processing. These applications are fundamentally interesting to me and also provide vehicles to develop ideas for next-generation sensor system design. A core theme of my work is holistic, system-aware design fueled by a disciplined approach to traditional subjects such as mixed signal electronics and software engineering. I connect these domains to sensor systems through an understanding of sensor and device physics, materials science, and signal processing.
- Sensor Systems
- Neural Interfaces
- Brain Machine Interfaces
- Mixed Signal Electronics
- Integrated Circuits
- Signal Conditioning
- Analog Design
- Neural Engineering
- Embedded Systems
- Signal Processing
- Biomedical Engineering
- Neural Interface Circuits and Systems Half Day Tutorial, 2017 IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS), Baltimore, Maryland. Invited Talk/Keynote, Other, 05/28/2017.
- Design of Reliable Neural Interfaces 2016 Annual BRAIN Initiative Principal Investigators Meeting, Bethesda, Maryland. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 12/14/2016.
- Rapid Electrode Multiplexing for Scalable Neural Recording 2016 Annual BRAIN Initiative Principal Investigators NIH pre-meeting, Bethesda, Maryland. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 12/11/2016.
- Physiological Sensor Systems
Physiologically Aware Virtual Agents Workshop, 2016
Intelligent Virtual Agents Conference (IVA), Los Angeles, CA.
- Integrated Neural Interfaces Army Research Laboratories, Adelphi, Maryland. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 06/30/2016.
- Integrated Neural Interfaces
Stanford System-X Seminar Series, Stanford University, Stanford, CA
- Breakthroughs in Analog and RF Circuit Performance through Steep-Slope FinFETs 2016 GOMACTech Conference, Orlando, FL. Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 03/17/2016.
- Front-End ASIC Design for the HermesE/F Wireless Neural Interface Systems
1st Bernstein Sparks Workshop Towards Long-Term Cortical Neuro-Interfaces
- N. Tasneem, T. Ahmed and R. M. Walker, "Wireline communication over an implantable lead," IEEE EMBS Conference on Biomedical Engineering and Sciences (IECBES), 2016, pp. 321-325, 2016.
- M. Sharma, A. T. Gardner, J. Silver and R. M. Walker, “Noise and impedance of the SIROF Utah Electrode Array,” IEEE SENSORS, pp. 1-3, 2016.
- P.E. Gaillardon, M. Hasan, A. Saha, L. Amarú, R. Walker and B.S. Rodriguez, "Digital, analog and RF design opportunities of three-independent-gate transistors," IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS), pp. 405-408, 2016.
- P.E. Gaillardon, R. Magni, L. Amaru, M. Hasan, R. Walker, B.S. Rodriguez, J.F. Christmann, E. Beigne, "Three-Independent-Gate Transistors: Opportunities in digital, analog and RF applications," Latin-American Test Symposium (LATS), pp. 195-200, 2016.
- J.D. Foster, P. Nuyujukian, O. Freifeld, H. Gao, R. Walker, S.I. Ryu, T.H. Meng, B. Murmann, M.J. Black, K.V. Shenoy, "A freely-moving monkey treadmill model," Journal of Neural Engineering, vol. 11, no. 4, 046020 (14pp.).
- C. Gupta, R.M. Walker, R. Gharpuray, M. Shulaker, Z. Zhang, M. Javanmard, R.W. Davis, B. Murmann, R.T. Howe, “Electrochemical quantum tunneling for electronic detection and characterization of biological toxins,” Proc. of SPIE: Micro- and Nanotechnology Sensors, Systems, and Applications, vol. 8373, no. 4, pp. 837303-1-837303-14.
- H. Gao, R.M. Walker, P. Nuyujukian, K.A.A. Makinwa, K.V. Shenoy, B. Murmann, T.H. Meng, “HermesE: A 96-channel full data rate direct neural interface in 0.13μm CMOS,” IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 1043-1055.
- R.M. Walker, H. Gao, P. Nuyujukian, K.A.A. Makinwa, K.V. Shenoy, T.H. Meng, B. Murmann, "A 96-channel full data rate direct neural interface in 0.13μm CMOS," 2011 Symposium on VLSI Circuits, pp.144-145.
- E.M. Kanter, R.M. Walker, S.L. Marion, M. Brewer, P.B. Hoyer, J.K. Barton, “Dual modality imaging of a novel rat model of ovarian carcinogenesis,” Journal of Biomedical Optics, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 41123-1-10.
- E. Kanter, R. Walker, S. Marion, P. Hoyer, and J.K. Barton, “Use of multiple imaging modalities to detect ovarian cancer,” Proc. of SPIE: Photonic Therapeutics and Diagnostics, vol. 5686, pp. 596-605.