Kara’s research interests include community-university partnerships, DCFS and DJJS practice settings and financial literacy for new or arriving populations. Her research takes a community-based research approach, engaging stakeholders in collaborative evaluation development, administration and sub-sequent technical assistance. Research focuses include: participatory action research, evidence-based practice in child welfare and juvenile justice settings, and community-university partnerships
- Trauma Therapy
- Child Welfare
- Child Sexual Abuse
- Child Abuse or Neglect
- Community Based Research
- Refugee and Immigrant
- Collective Impact
- Byrne, K. & Shepard, L. (June, 2019). Development and Implementation of a Brief Screening and Intervention Care Process Model for Child Traumatic Stress in Children’s Advocacy Centers. The American Professional Society on the Abuse of Children: Salt Lake City, UT. Presentation, Presented, 06/18/2019.
- Byrne, K. & Vogel-Fergusion, M.B. Foundations for Refugee Case Management. Jesuit Refugee Services. Bangkok, Thailand. Presentation, Presented, 12/13/2016.
- Byrne, K. & Mohamed, A. (May, 2016). Community Voices for Housing Equality. Community-Campus Partnerships for Health 14th Annual International Conference: New Orleans. Conference Paper, Presented, 05/14/2016.
- Byrne, K., Mohamed, A., & Magana, G.R. (October, 2015). Community Voices for Housing Equality. Utah Housing Matters Conference: Park City, UT. Presentation, Presented, 02/10/2015.
- Byrne, K. & Mohamed, A. (June, 2013). Engaging Community Members in Developing Knowledge, Informing Growth, and Bridging the Cultural Gap. CU Expo 2013 Engaging Shared Worlds: Corner Brook, Newfoundland & Labrador, Canada. Presentation, Presented, 06/15/2013.
- Finn, J. & Mileski, K. (May, 2011). Pedagogy of Gender Oppression and Globalization. Unsettling Feminism: University of Chicago, Chicago, IL. Presentation, Presented, 05/15/2011.
- Mileski, K. (May, 2011). Is Fair Trade Fair? Unsettling Feminism: University of Chicago, Chicago, IL. Presentation, Presented, 05/15/2011.
- Finn, J. & Mileski, K. (October, 2008) Pedagogy of Gender Oppression and Globalization: Council on Social Work Education’s 54th Annual Program Meeting: Philadelphia, PA. Presentation, Presented, 10/25/2008.
- Kara Byrne, Research Professor. URBAN UT. 09/01/2017 - present. http://urbanresearchnetwork.org/.
- Evaluation of Implementation and Monitoring of Plan of Safe Care. PI: Jeremiah Jaggers. Co-PI(s): Kara Byrne. Utah Department of Human Services Division of Child and Family Services, 01/01/2019 - 12/31/2019. Total project budget to date: $99,787.00
- Analyzing Evictions and Housing Stability for Low-Income Renters. PI: Kara Byrne. URC Faculty Research & Creative Grant Proposal, 03/25/2017 - 04/01/2018. Total project budget to date: $5,963.00
- Pediatric Integrated Post-Trauma Services: an Evidence Based Care Process Model for Pediatric Traumatic Stress. PI: Brooks Ryan Keeshin. The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 09/30/2016 - 09/29/2021. Total project budget to date: $3,000,000.00
- University Neighborhood Partners Program Evaluation. PI: Kara Byrne. University Neighborhood Partners, 07/14/2016 - 06/30/2018. Total project budget to date: $10,000.00
- Juvenile Justice Services Program Evaluation and Improvement Project. PI: Matt Davis. Utah Division of Juvenile Justice Services, 04/01/2015 - present. Total project budget to date: $0.00
- Technical Assistance Project. PI: Matt Davis. Utah Division of Juvenile Justice Services, 04/01/2015 - present. Total project budget to date: $0.00
- Division of Child and Family Services Implementation of evidence-based practices project: Residential Services. PI: Matt Davis. Title IV-E Project, 04/01/2015 - 12/31/2017. Total project budget to date: $0.00
- Family Prosperity Initiative: Financial Literacy for New Immigrants and Refugees. PI: Kara Byrne. American Library Association & FINRA Foundation, 02/01/2015 - 12/31/2017. Total project budget to date: $10,000.00
- SMART INVESTING. PI: BYRNE,KARA ANN. ENGLISH SKILLS LEARNING CENTER, 02/01/2015 - 12/31/2016. Total project budget to date: $10,000.00
- Understanding the Context and Issues Contributing to the Migration of Unaccompanied Women, Minors, and Families (urban refugees and asylum seekers) in Bangkok, Thailand. PI: Hunter, Rosey. 07/01/2016 - present.
- Keeshin, B., Shepard, L.D., & Byrne, K. (2019). Trauma-informed care and treatment. In A. Sirotnak & T. Laskey (Eds), Child abuse: Medical diagnosis and management (4th ed.). Published, 10/01/2019.
- Kuttner, Paul, Byrne, Kara, Schmit, Kim & Munro, Sarah (2019). The art of convening: How community engagement professionals build place-based community-university partnerships for systemic change. Journal of Higher Education Outreach and Engagement. Vol. 23.
- Aster Tecle, Kara Byrne, Mary Beth Vogel-Ferguson, Kimberly Schmidt & Naima Mohamed (2018). Seeking Refuge: An Exploration of Unaccompanied Women, Minors from Somalia and Families from Pakistan Experiences of Services in Bangkok, Thailand. Advances in Social Work. Special Issue: Social Work with Immigrants and Refugees.
- Kara Byrne, Paul Kuttner, Abdulkhaliq Mohamed, Ellie Goldberg & Gilberto Magana (2018). This is our home: Initiating participatory action housing research with refugee and immigrant communities in a time of unwelcome. Action Research Journal.
- Mileski, K., Mohamed, A., & Hunter, K. (2014) Creating inclusive spaces for partnership: Responses from local leaders engaged in a community-university partnership center. Gateways: International Journal of Community Research and Engagement, 7(1). Published, 05/01/2014.
- Hunter, R., & Mileski, K. (2013). Emerging leaders project: Connecting university resources to community-based organizations supporting refugee resettlement. Advances in Social Work, 14(2), 613-628. Published, 02/11/2013.
- Finn, J.L. & Mileski, K. (2013). Globalization and gender oppression: Reflections on teaching and learning. In Finn, J., Perry, T. & Karandikar, S. (Eds.), Gender Oppression and Globalization: Challenges for Social Work. (281- 305). Alexandria, VA: Council on Social Work Education. Published, 02/04/2013.