Office of Associate VP of Academic Affairs,
University of Utah
Chair, Dept of City & Metropolitan Planning,
City & Metropolitan Planning,
University of Utah
- B.A. 1981,
Anthropology and Hispanic Studies,
Bryn Mawr College
- M.A. 1983,
- Master of Philosophy (M.Phil.) 1994,
- Ph.D. 1994,
Project: In Search of a Usable Past: Urban Design in a French New Town
Honors & Awards
- Leadership Fellowship.
Office of the Senior VP of Academic Affairs, University of Utah,
- 2011-12 Honors Professorship, University of Utah.
Honors College, University of Utah,
- 2011 President’s Award for Sustainability, “The Future of Phoenix – Crafting Sustainable Development Strategies,” ASU, http://asunews.asu.edu/20110426_Future_of_Phoenix.
- Honorable Mention for Canalscape Workshop.
- Official Arizona Centennial Legacy Projet.
Governor's Centennial Commission,
- Grant for Canalscape Exhibition.
Arizona Humanities Council,
- Green Phoenix Designation for Canalscape.
Mayor's Office, City of Phoenix,
- Contemporary Catalyst Nominee.
Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art,
- Environmental Excellence Award of Merit for Making Sustainable Communities Happen.
- Distinguished Research Award.
School of Public Affairs at ASU,
- President's Medal for Social Embeddedness for New American City Exhibition.
- Power Player Award.
Phoenix Business Journal,
- Contribution to Town Planning award for Postmodern Urbanism (translated into Serbo-Croatian).
Republics of former Yugoslavia,
In the Media
- Interviewed by Kylan Rice on BYU Radio (Sirius XM, Channel 143) about Tactical and Good Urbanism. 08/12/2013.
- Interviewed by Charlene Spretnak for PRN.FM about Good Urbanism, 40-minutes (live).
- Interviewed by Jennifer Napier-Pearce about Good Urbanism, KCPW, 40-minutes (live). 12/18/2012.
- Interviewed for KRCL with student Mike Lynch about Salt Lake City Workshop project. 12/15/2012.
- Interviewed on KSL 5 News Today about Place Deficit Disorder article written for Imperfect Health ("Your City Your Self"). 02/15/2012.
- Interviewed On KSL 5 News Today, about Place Deficit Disorder article. 02/15/2012.
- “Now Open: 9 Line Trail Linking Salt Lake City West to East,” Red Thread, University of Utah, . 11/07/2011.
- “City Planning Expert Visits Vancouver,” Consulate of the US. 09/19/2011.
- “U Students ‘Drive’ Rail to Trail Project, Linking West and East SLC,” Red Thread, http://redthread.utah.edu/u-students-drive-rail-to-trail-project-linking-west-and-east-slc/5806. 06/27/2011.
- “Canalscape: A Sustainable Urban Desert for Metro Phoenix” by Diane Brossart, Guest post for Vanishing Phoenix. 06/18/2011.
- “Ellin Leaves ASU for Utah,” in Business Journal (Phoenix, Dallas, Milwaukee, and Boston), June 11, 2010. 06/11/2010.
- “Canalscape Exhibit on Campus,” Gateway on the Move, Spring 2010. 05/15/2010.
- Book Review of Integral Urbanism, Stephen Goldsmith, Journal of American Planning Association (JAPA), March 2010. 03/15/2010.
- “Nan Ellin: Place Healer” by Deborah Sussman Susser, Jewish News of Greater Phoenix, January 29, 2010. 01/29/2010.
- French, fluent.
- Spanish, fluent.