- Ting Xiao, Brian McPherson, Richard Esser, Wei Jia, Nathan Moodie, Shaoping Chu & Si-Yong Lee (2019). Forecasting commercial-scale CO2 storage capacity in deep saline reservoirs: Case study of Buzzard's bench, Central Utah. Elsevier. Vol. 126, 41-51.
- Nathan Moodie, William Ampomah, Wei Jia, Jason Heath & Brian McPherson (2019). Assignment and calibration of relative permeability by hydrostratigraphic units for multiphase flow analysis, case study: CO2-EOR operations at the Farnsworth Unit, Texas. Elsevier. Vol. 81, 103-114.
- Wei Jia, Brian McPherson, Pania Newell (editor) & Anastasia Ilgen (editor) (2019). Multi-phase flow associated with GCS at the field scale. (pp. 117-143). Elsevier.
- Zhenxue Dai, Ye Zhang, Jeffrey Bielicki, Mohammad Amin Amooie, Mingkan Zhang, Changbing Yang, Youqin Zou, William Ampomah, Ting Xiao, Wei Jia, Richard Middleton, Wen Zhang, Youhong Sun, Joachim Moortgat, Mohamad Reza Soltanian & Philip Stauffer (2018). Heterogeneity-assisted carbon dioxide storage in marine sediments. Elsevier. Vol. 225, 876-883.
- Wei Jia & Brian McPherson, Feng Pan, Zhenxue Dai, Ting Xiao (2018). Uncertainty Quantification of CO2 Storage Mechanisms Using Bayesian Inference. Elsevier. Vol. 71, 104-115.
- Wei Jia & Brian McPherson, Feng Pan, Zhenxue Dai, Nathan Moodie, Ting Xiao (2017). Impact of Three-Phase Relative Permeability and Hysteresis Models on Forecasts of Storage Associated with CO2-EOR. American Geophysical Union. Vol. 54.
- Ting Xiao & Zhenxue Dai, Brian McPherson, Hari Viswanathan, Wei Jia (2017). Reactive transport modeling of arsenic mobilization in shallow groundwater: impacts of CO2 and brine leakage. Springer International Publishing. Vol. 3, 339-350.
- Wei Jia & Brian McPherson, Zhenxue Dai, Trevor Irons, Ting Xiao (2017). Evaluation of Pressure Management Strategies and Impact of Simplifications for a Post-EOR CO2 Storage Project. Springer International Publishing. Vol. 3, 281-292.
- Ting Xiao & Brian McPherson, Amanda Bordelon, Hari Viswanathan, Zhenxue Dai, Hailong Tian, Rich Esser, Wei Jia, William Carey (2017). Quantification of CO 2-cement-rock interactions at the well-caprock-reservoir interface and implications for geological CO 2 storage. Elsevier. Vol. 63, 126-140.
- Zhenxue Dai & Hari Viswanathan, Ting Xiao, Richard Middleton, Feng Pan, William Ampomah, Changbing Yang, Youqin Zhou, Wei Jia, Si-Yong Lee, Martha Cather, Robert Balch, Brian McPherson (2017). CO2 Sequestration and Enhanced Oil Recovery at Depleted Oil/Gas Reservoirs. Elsevier. Vol. 114, 6957-6967.
- Wei Jia & Feng Pan, Zhenxue Dai, Ting Xiao, Mark White, Brian McPherson (2017). Probabilistic Risk Assessment of CO2 Trapping Mechanisms in a Sandstone CO2-EOR Field in Northern Texas, USA. Elsevier. Vol. 114, 4321-4329.
- Ting Xiao & Zhenxue Dai, Hari Viswanathan, Alexandra Hakala, Martha Cather, Wei Jia, Yongchao Zhang, Brian McPherson (2017). Arsenic mobilization in shallow aquifers due to CO 2 and brine intrusion from storage reservoirs. Nature Publishing Group. Vol. 7, 2763.
Dr. Wei Jia is a Research Assistant Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of Utah. Dr. Jia received his Ph.D. degree in Civil Engineering from the University of Utah, M.Eng. degree in Environmental Science from Tongji University in China, and B.S. degree in Environmental Science from University of Science and Technology of China. Dr. Jia’s research area includes multiphase flow in subsurface, uncertainty quantification, and risk analysis associated with CO2 geological sequestration. His recent research includes quantifying uncertainty in predicting CO2 storage in various geological settings as well as different storage scenarios (i.e., CO2 storage in deep saline aquifers or CO2 storage in oil fields through enhanced oil recovery with CO2 injection). Along with numerical models and simulations, Dr. Jia also utilizes reduced order models and Bayesian inference to evaluate different sources of uncertainty, ranging from heterogeneous properties in subsurface (e.g., porosity and permeability), to parameters and models used in key processes of multiphase flow (e.g., relative permeability models), and to operational factors (e.g., number and location of injection/production wells).
- Uncertainty Quantification / Validation
- Risk Assessment
- Numerical modeling
- Carbon Capture and Sequestration
- CO2 sequestration
- Jia, W., Xiao, T., Moodie, N., McPherson, B. Uncertainty analysis of impact of geochemical reactions on forecasting CO2 storage at a depleted oil field. 2019 AIChE Annual Meeting. 2019 November 10-November 15, Orlando, FL. Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 11/2019.
- Xiao, T., Jia, W., Esser, R., McPherson, B. Potential chemical impacts of CO2 intrusion into an unconsolidated aquifer: Column experimental study. Abstracts of Papers of The American Chemical Society 2019, 258. Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 08/2019.
- Jia, W., Xiao, T., Ampomah, W., Moodie, N., McPherson, B. Evolution of CO2 Storage Capacity Associated with Geochemical Reactions in Subsurface. 2018 AIChE Annual Meeting. 2018 October 29-November 2, Pittsburgh, PA. Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 10/29/2018.
- Jia, W., Moodie, N., Chu, S., Esser, R., Xiao, T., McPherson, B. Pressure Response Analysis and Area of Review Delineation at Potential CO2 Storage Sites in Central Utah. 2018 Mastering the Subsurface Through Technology Innovation, Partnerships and Collaboration: Carbon Storage and Oil and Natural Gas Technologies Review Meeting. 2018 August 13-16, Pittsburgh, PA. Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 08/16/2018.
- Jia, W., McPherson, B., Pan, F., Dai, Z., Moodie, N., Xiao, T. A Study of Multiphase Flow in CO2-EOR: Impacts of Three-Phase Relative Permeability and Hysteresis Models. AAPG 2018 Annual Meeting, May 20-23, Salt Lake City, UT. Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 05/22/2018.
- English, fluent.
- Mandarin Chinese, fluent.
- Eastern Asia