- "Disrupting Binary Measures of Gender: Exploring Gender Identity and Expression Among College Students Through Scaled Measurements." American Society for Higher Education annual meeting, with Kari Dockendorff. Conference Paper, Presented, 10/2017.
- "Beyond Intentions: The Relationship Between Feelings about Pregnancy and Contraceptive Choices," North American Forum on Family Planning, with Jessica Sanders, Bethany Everett, Kyl Myers, Abigail Aiken, Patty Cason, David Turok, peer reviewed abstract published in Contraception. Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 10/2017.
- "1 in 3: Challenging heteronormative assumptions in family planning clinics," North American Forum on Family Planning, Bethany Everett, Jessica Sanders, Kyl Myers, Claudia Geist, David Turok), peer reviewed abstract published in Contraception. Conference Paper, Refereed, Presented, 10/2017.
- "The influence of adult caregiving and the unequal division of labor on depression among female caregivers." Annual Meeting of the American Sociological Association, Montreal, Canada (with Jennifer Tabler) . Conference Paper, Presented, 08/2017.
- "Godly Husbands and Housework: An International Comparison of the Role of Religion in Men's Participation in Domestic Labor." Annual Meeting of the Society for the Scientific Study of Religion in Washington, DC (with Bethany Gull) . Conference Paper, Presented, 08/2017.
- "Caregiver Burden Among Older Adults: Does Unequal Time Spent on Adult Caregiving and Other Domestic Tasks Explain Increased Depression Among Female Caregivers? Meeting of the Population Association of America, Chicago (with Jennifer Tabler). Conference Paper, Presented, 04/2017.
- Research and Quantitative Methods
- Family Planning
- Comparative Sociology
- Gender Issues
- English, fluent.
- German, fluent.
Geographical Regions of Interest
- United States of America
- Western Europe
- Geist, Claudia (2022). Gender Disparities in the Real World. Contexts. Contexts. Vol. 21(4), 21(4): 66-68.
- Dockendorff, Kari & Claudia Geist (2022). Beyond the Binary: Gender Image and Experiences of Marginalization on Campus. Journal of Critical Scholarship on Higher Education and Student Affairs. Vol. 6(1).
- Tabler, Jennifer (2022). Embracing Complexity: Variation in Faculty’s Attitudes toward Inclusive . Journal of Homosexuality.
- Tabler, Jennifer, Carlos M. Gonzales, Jamie Snyder, Rachel M. Schmitz & Claudia Geist (2022). “Hidden (and not so hidden) messaging in top utilized U.S. social surveys: the persistence of heteronormative ideology and the gender binary.” . Springer Press. Published, 09/2022.
- Tabler, J., Schmitz, R. M., Nagata, J. M., & Geist, C. (2021). Self-perceived gender expression, discrimination, and mental health disparities in adulthood. SSM-Mental Health, 1, 100020.
- Dockendorff , Kari J & Claudia Geist (2021). Beyond the Binary: Gender Image and Experiences of Marginalization on Campus. Journal of Critical Scholarship on Higher Education and Student Affairs. Vol. 66, 3. Published, 12/2021.
- Claudia Geist (2021). Review of Motherlands: How States Push Mothers Out of Employment by Leah Ruppanner. Philadelphia, Temple University Press, 2020. 186 pp. Paper, $24.95. (pp. 402-403). Vol. 136. Political Science Quarterly.
- Tabler J & Geist C (2021). Do gender differences in housework performance and informal adult caregiving explain the gender gap in depressive symptoms of older adults?. Journal of women & aging. Vol. 33, 41-56. Published, 02/01/2021.
- Geist C, Greenberg KB, Luikenaar RAC & Mihalopoulos NL (2021). Pediatric Research and Health Care for Transgender and Gender Diverse Adolescents and Young Adults: Improving (Biopsychosocial) Health Outcomes. Academic pediatrics. Vol. 21, 32-42. Published, 01/01/2021.
- Cole, Wade M, and Claudia Geist. 2020. “Conceiving of Contraception: World Society, Cultural Resistance, and Contraceptive Use, 1970–2012” Social Forces published online ahead of print, https://doi.org/10.1093/sf/soaa077.
- Geist, Claudia. “Marriage Formation in Context: Four Decades in Comparative Perspective.” Social Sciences 6: 9.
- Geist, Claudia and Sarah Brauner-Otto. “Constrained Intentions: Individual Economic Resources, Regional Context, and Fertility Expectations in Germany.” Socius: Sociological Research for a Dynamic World 3.
- Geist, Claudia and Lea Hunter. 2016. "A Taxable Luxury? - Policy Forum". Policy Forum. http://www.policyforum.net/a-taxable-luxury/.
- Tabler, Jennifer and Claudia Geist. “Young Women with Eating Disorders or Disordered Eating Behaviors Delinquency, Risky Sexual Behaviors, and Number of Children in Early Adulthood." Socius: Sociological Research for a Dynamic World.
- 2016 Geist, Claudia and Kyl Myers “Gender Stratification.” Oxford Bibliographies in Sociology. Baxter, Janeen (Ed.). New York: Oxford University Press. Published, 02/25/2016.
- Powell, Brian, Catherine Bolzendahl, Claudia Geist, and Lala Carr Steelman. “Changing Counts, Counting Change: Americans’ Movement toward a More Inclusive Definition of Family” In B. Risman and V. Rutter (Eds.). Families as They Really Are. Second Edition W. W. Norton Russell Sage Foundation. (Authors after first author are listed alphabetically). Published, 03/2015.
- Geist, Claudia, Nekehia Quashie and Patricia A. McManus. “Internal Migration.” In A. C. Michalos (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Quality of Life Research. Heidelberg, Springer. Published, 03/2014.
- Geist, Claudia (2012). Counted Out. Russell Sage Foundation. Published, 03/29/2012.
- Geist, Claudia and Patricia A. McManus. 2012. “Different Reasons, Different Results: Implications of Migration by Gender and Family Status.” Demography 49: 17-217. . Published, 02/2012.
- Geist, Claudia and Philip. N. Cohen. 2011.“Headed Toward Equality? Housework Change in Comparative Perspective.” Journal of Marriage and Family 73: 832-844. Published, 10/2011.
- Geist, Claudia. 2011. Review of "Family Configurations: A Structural Approach to Family Diversity" by Eric D. Widmer. American Journal of Sociology 117 (2) p. 712-714. Published, 09/2011.
- Geist, Claudia & Cohen, Philip N. (2011). Headed Toward Equality? Housework Change in Comparative Perspective. Journal of Marriage and Family. Vol. 73(4), 832-844.
- Geist, C. (2011). Gender Inequalities, Households and the Production of Well-Being in Modern Europe. (pp. 681-682). Vol. 40(6). SAGE Publications. Published, 06/2011.
- Hamilton, Laura, Claudia Geist, and Brian Powell. 2011.“Marital Name Change as a Window into Gender Attitudes” Gender and Society 25: 145-175. Published, 04/2011.
- Geist, C., Powell, B. & Hamilton, L. (2011). Marital Name Change as a Window into Gender Attitudes. SAGE Publications. Vol. 25(2), 145-175. Published, 03/2011.
- Jackson PB, Kleiner S, Geist C & Cebulko K (2011). Conventions of Courtship: Gender and Race Differences in the Significance of Dating Rituals. Journal of family issues. Vol. 32, 629-652.
- Powell, Brian, Catherine Bolzendahl, Claudia Geist, and Lala Carr Steelman. Counted Out: Same-Sex Relations and Americans’ Definitions of ‘Family.’ Russell Sage Foundation.
- Geist, Claudia. "Gendered Views of Domestic Labor: Cross-National Variation in Men's and Women's' Reports of Housework."in Treas, J. and S. Drobnic (Eds.). Dividing the Domestic: Women, Men and Housework in Cross-National Perspective. Stanford: Stanford University Press. Published, 08/2010.
- Geist, Claudia. “One Germany, Two Worlds of Housework? Examining Employed Single and Partnered Women in the Decade after Unification.” Journal of Comparative Family Studies 40(3): 415-437. Published, 08/2009.
- Geist, Claudia & McManus, Patricia A. (2008). Geographical mobility over the life course: motivations and implications. Population, Space, and Place. Vol. 14(4), 283-303. Published, 07/2008.
- Lively, Kathryn J., Brian Powell, Claudia Geist, and Lala Carr Steelman. "Equity among Intimates." in Karen Hegtvedt and Jody Clay-Warner (Eds.) Advances in Group Processes 25: 87-115. Published, 05/2008.
- Geist, C. (2005). The Welfare State and the Home: Regime Differences in the Domestic Division of Labour. European Sociological Review (OUP). Vol. 21(1), 23-41. Published, 02/2005.
- Geist, Claudia (2005). The family of woman: Lesbian mothers, their children, and the undoing of gender. Wiley-Blackwell. Vol. 67(2), 532-533.