Interim Dean Marriott Library
Librarian, Marriott Library
- I presented a research paper entitled "Predators at the Gates: Citations to Predatory Journals in Mainstream Scientific Literature" at the 6th World Conference on Research Integrity, Hong Kong, June 2019.
- I gave an invited talk titled "Publishing, Access, and Academic Freedom: Implications of Recent Developments in Scholarly Communication for Researchers in the Humanities and Fine Arts" at the annual meeting of the Mountains/Plains Chapter of the Music Library Association in Salt Lake City, Utah.
- I gave a presentation entitled "I've Got Bad News and I've Got Mixed News: Some Things You Need to Know about Academic Libraries in the U.S." at the annual meeting of the Independent Publishers Guild, Heythrop Park, United Kingdom.
- I gave the keynote talk at the 3rd Annual KAUST Library Saudi Seminar, held April 18, 2019 at the King Abdullah University of Science & Technology Library. The title of my talk was "Thinking Strategically about an Unsettled (and Unsetting) Future: Applications for Libraries of Current Trends in Acquisitions and Scholarly Communication.".
- I presented a two-hour workshop on the topic "KAUST, the KAUST Library, and the Future" for the staff and faculty of the King Abdullah University of Science & Technology Library.
- I presented a talk on the topic "The Academic Library in an Open Access World: Threats and Opportunities" at the Symposium on the Future of Libraries, American Library Association Midwinter Meeting in Seattle, WA.
- I was part of a two-person panel presentation on the topic "Predatory Journals: How to Help Faculty and Students Navigate the Good from the Bad" at the American Library Association Midwinter Meeting in Seattle, WA.
- I presented a talk entitled "Aligning Library Collections to Institutional Mission: Assessment and Strategy" at the Sharjah International Book Fair Library Conference.
- I presented a talk entitled "Peer Review: What Is It Good For?" at Signals of Trust in Scholarly Communication, an invitation-only conference at the Banbury Center of the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, in Huntington, NY.
- I presented a talk entitled "Thinking Critically about Open Science," by invitation at the annual Assembly of Society Officers of the American Institute of Physics.
- I moderated a panel of early-career researchers who addressed the the topic "How relevant were the day's discussions on the front lines of research?" at the biennial National Academy of Sciences Journal Summit.
- I presented a talk entitled "Preprints: Rights and Licensing" by invitation at the biennial National Academy of Sciences Journal Summit.
- I organized and moderated a panel entitled "Pirates or Robin Hoods?: Copyright and the Public Good" at the annual Charleston Library Conference.
- I was a panelist for a program entitled "Driving Discoverability and Accessibility with Metadata and Ebooks" at the annual Charleston Library Conference.
- I presented a keynote address entitled "Global Trends in Open Access Policy and Practice" at the 2017 PREO Academic Research Conference in Angeles City, Philippines.
- I presented a talk entitled "The Dissertation Mess: Who Is the Owner?" at the annual meeting of the International Academy of Nursing Editors in Denver, CO.
- I presented a keynote address entitled "Good Intentions and Unintended Consequences: Science Libraries, Researchers, and the Open Access Movement" at the 2017 International Conference on Changing Landscape of Science & Technology Libraries in Gandhinagar, Gujarat, India.
- I gave a presentation entitled "The Forbidden Forecast: Thinking about Open Access and Library Subscriptions" at the annual Researcher to Reader Conference in London, England.
- I was a panelist for a session entitled "Authors and Their Works in the Brave New World of Scholarly Publishing" at the annual meeting of the American Historical Association in New York, NY.
- “Acting Rationally in a Deeply Weird Ecosystem: How Authors Can Make Smart Publishing Choices.” (Researcher to Reader Conference, London, England, 2016).
- “From Heart to Engine: Visualizing Library Alignment with Institutional Mission.” (Charleston Conference, Charleston, South Carolina, November 2015)
- "A Quiet Culture War in Research Libraries." (UKSG annual conference, Glasgow, Scotland, April 2015).
- “Patron-driven Acquisition: An SLA Preconference Workshop.” (Special Libraries Association Conference, Abu Dhabi, UAE, March 2015).
- Gregory C. Thompson, Harish Maringanti, Rick Anderson, Catherine B. Soehner & Alberta Comer (2019). Strategic Planning for Academic Libraries: A Step-By-Step Guide. (pp. 129). ALA Editions.
- Anderson, Rick (2019). A Response to "Reconsidering Counting Articles in Ranked Venues (CARV) As the Apropriate Evaluation Criteria for the Advancement of Democratic Discourse in the IS Field.". Communications of the Association for Information Systems. Vol. 44.
- Anderson, Rick (2018). The Varieties of OA Resistance: A Response to Gareth J. Johnson. Insights: The UKSG Journal. Vol. 31.
- Anderson, Rick (2018). Scholarly Communication: What Everyone Needs to Know. Oxford University Press.
- Anderson, Rick (2017). HathiTrust. Taylor & Francis.
- Anderson, Rick (2017). Fake News and Alternative Facts: Five Challenges for Academic Libraries. Insights: The UKSG Journal. Vol. 2, 4-9.