- University of Utah. Role: Member (elected). Academic Senate Executive Committee. 01/2021 - 01/2023
- Academic Senate. Role: Member. Consolidated Hearing Committee. 01/2021 - 01/2022
- Academic Senate. Role: Member. Honorary Degree Task Force. 01/2021 - 01/2022
- University of Utah. Role: Chairman. Independent Review Committee (Presidential Appointment). 01/2020 - present
- S.J. Quinney College of Law Admissions Committee, Teaching Committee, Awards Committee, Leadership Committee (Chair). Member, 01/2019 - present. College service.
- Policy Advisor, Alliance for a Better Utah. 01/2017 - present
- Member of the Board (elected), Center for Documentary Expression and Art. 01/2017 - present
1986-2004, Judge Advocate General’s Corps, Israel Defense Forces Lt. Col. (Ret.)
Senior command postings: Commandant of the IDF School of Military Law; Judge Advocate of the Navy and Home Front Command; Legal Advisor to Gaza Strip Military Commander
Honors & Awards
- University of Utah Research Committee, Research Grant: “Inquiry into Complicity: The Bystander in the Holocaust”, 01/ 2015-. 01/2017
- William F. Podlich Distinguished Fellowship,. Claremont McKenna College, 01/2016
- Member, Society of Benchers at Case Western Reserve University School of Law. 01/2015
- Research Fellow, Drones and Targeted Killings, University of Oxford, Oxford Institute for Ethics, Law and Armed Conflict (ELAC), Department of Politics and International Relations. 01/2014
- FY06 Congressionally Mandated Award. Department of Justice, 2013
- Visiting Scholar. Earhart Foundation project, 2012
- Earhart Foundation project, Extremism: What Is It And What Dangers Does It Pose To Society? 01/2012
- Grant award, Research on Free Speech and Extremism. Stuart Family Foundation, 2011
- University of Utah S.J. Quinney College of Law Faculty Scholarship Award. 01/2011
- Stuart Family Foundation, Research on Free Speech and Extremism. 01/2011
- Justus Lipsius Visiting Scholar. the Institute for Interdisciplinary Study of the Law, 12/2010
- Senior Specialist Fulbright Fellowship for The Netherlands. 2008
- "Religion, Terrorism, and the Law: Bringing New Understanding to a Critical World Issue," The Value of Research, Case Western Reserve University. 01/2007
- National Institute of Military Justice (NIMJ), Fellow, 01/2021 - present
- Contra Costa Jewish Community Center (JCC), Scholar in Residence,, 01/2019 - 01/2020
- American Bar Association, Drone Resolution Working Group , Member, 01/2013 - present
- Oxford Institute for Ethics , , 2012 - present
- ABA Law and National Security Advisory Committee , Committee Member, 01/2010 - 12/2014
- The Netherlands School of Human Rights Research, University of Utrecht School of Law , Corresponding Member, 2009 - present
- International Institute on Counter-Terrorism , Research Fellow, 2008 - present
In the Media
- Powerful Questions and the Unthinkable, SALT LAKE TRIBUNE. 02/06/2020. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&so...
- We have crossed the Rubicon acting against Iran, SALT LAKE TRIBUNE. 01/06/2020. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&so...
- My question for Chris Stewart: Really? SALT LAKE TRIBUNE. 11/22/2019. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&so...
- Op-Ed., Live with Terrorism, The New York Times. 07/15/2016.
- The ABC’s of Genocide Education, Huffington Post. 07/06/2016.