- Luong A., Schmid T. & Patwari N. (2016). Demo Abstract: A platform enabling local oscillator frequency synchronization. Proceedings of the 14th ACM Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems, SenSys 2016. 300-301. Published, 11/14/2016.
- Khaledi M., Kasera S. & Patwari N. (2016). Preserving location privacy in radio networks using a stackelberg game framework. Q2SWinet 2016 - Proceedings of the 12th ACM Symposium on QoS and Security for Wireless and Mobile Networks, co-located with MSWiM 2016. 29-37. Published, 11/13/2016.
- Anh Luong, Alemayehu Solomon Abrar, Thomas Schmid, and Neal Patwari, "RSSI step size: 1 dB is not enough!", in Proc. 3rd ACM Workshop on Hot Topics in Wireless, 3 Oct. 2016.
- Cesare Alippi, Maurizio Bocca, Giacomo Boracchi, Neal Patwari, and Manuel Roveri, "RTI Goes Wild: Radio Tomographic Imaging for Outdoor People Detection and Localization", IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, vol. 15, no. 10, pp. 2585-2598, Oct. 2016. Published, 10/2016.
- Yang Zhao and Neal Patwari, "Experimental Comparison of Radio Transceiver and Transceiver-free Localization Methods", J. Sensor and Actuator Networks, vol. 5, no. 3, ISSN 2224-2708, 17 Aug. 2016. Published, 08/07/2016.
- Mager, Brad, Lundrigan, Philip & Patwari, Neal (2015). Fingerprint-Based Device-Free Localization Performance in Changing Environments. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 33, no. 11, pp. 2429 - 2438, DOI: 10.1109/JSAC.2015.2430515, Oct. 2015.
- Yang Zhao and Neal Patwari, "Robust estimators for variance-based device-free localization and tracking", IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, doi:10.1109/TMC.2014.2385710, appeared online 23 Dec. 2014, vol. 14, no. 10, Oct. 2015, pp. 2116-2129.
- Bryan R. Loyola, Michael Empey, Drew Janibagian, Steven Paradise, Mark Stacey, Neal Patwari, Steven Brown, "High Speed Electrical Impedance Tomography Data Acquisition System", International Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring, 1 Sep. 2015. Published, 09/01/2015.
- Peter Hillyard, Neal Patwari, Samira Daruki, and Suresh Venkatasubramanian, You're crossing the line: localizing border crossings using wireless RF links, IEEE Signal Processing and SP Education Workshop (SPW-2015), Snowbird Utah, 9-12 Aug. 2015.
- Luong, Anh, Madsen, Spencer, Empey, Michael & Patwari, Neal (2015). "Demonstration Abstract: Non-Contact Real Time Respiratory Rate Monitoring System", ACM/IEEE Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN) 2015, April 2015, pp. 412-413. Published, 04/2015.
- Hillyard, Peter & Patwari, Neal (2015). "Demonstration Abstract: Detecting and Localizing Border Crossings Using RF Links", ACM/IEEE Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN) 2015, April 2015, pp. 388-389. Published, 04/2015.
- Bo Wei, Ambuj Varshney, Wen Hu, Neal Patwari, Thiemo Voigt, Chun Tung Chou, "dRTI: Directional Radio Tomographic Imaging", ACM/IEEE Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN) 2015, April 2015, pp. 166-177.
- Hristijan Gjoreski, Simon Kozina, Matjaž Gams, Mitja Luštrek, Juan Antonio Álvarez-García, Jin-Hyuk Hong, Julian Ramos, Anind K. Dey, Maurizio Bocca and Neal Patwari, "Competitive live evaluation of activity-recognition systems", IEEE Pervasive Computing, Jan.-Mar. 2015.
- S. N. Premnath, J. Croft, N. Patwari, and S. K. Kasera, Eﬃcient high rate secret key extraction in wireless sensor networks using collaboration", ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks, submitted 22 Feb. 2011, vol. 11, no. 1, Aug. 2014.
- Maurizio Bocca, Anh Luong, Neal Patwari, Thomas Schmid, "Dial It In: Rotating RF Sensors to Enhance Radio Tomography", to appear in IEEE SECON 2014, July 2014. Also posted 19 Dec 2013 to arXiv:1312.5480 [cs.NI]. Published, 07/2014.
- Sriram N. Premnath, Prarthana L. Gowda, Sneha K. Kasera, Neal Patwari, Robert P. Ricci, "Secret Key Extraction using Bluetooth Wireless Signal Strength Measurements", IEEE SECON 2014, July 2014. Published, 07/2014.
- Arijit Banerjee, Dustin Maas, Maurizio Bocca, Neal Patwari and Sneha Kasera, "Violating location privacy through walls by passive monitoring of radio windows", in Proc. of the 2014 ACM Conf. on Security and Privacy in Wireless & Mobile Networks (WiSec), July 2014, pp. 69-80.
- Ossi Kaltiokallio, Hussein Yigitler, Riku Jäntti, and Neal Patwari, "Non-invasive Respiration Rate Monitoring Using a Single COTS TX-RX Pair", arXiv:1307.0084 [cs.NI], submitted 29 Jun 2013. Proc. Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN-2014), April 2014. Best Paper Award. Published, 04/2014.
- Mojgan Khaledi, Sneha K. Kasera, Neal Patwari, Maurizio Bocca, "Energy Efficient Radio Tomographic Imaging", IEEE SECON 2014, July 2014. Published, 03/17/2014.
- Peter Hillyard, Sumira Daruki, Neal Patwari, Suresh Venkatasubramanian, Track Estimation Using Link Line Crossing Information in Wireless Networks, in Proc. of 2013 IEEE Global Conference on Signal and Information Processing, December 3-5, 2013, Austin, Texas. Published, 12/2013.
- Neal Patwari, Lara Brewer, Quinn Tate, Ossi Kaltiokallio, and Maurizio Bocca, Breathfinding: A Wireless Network that Monitors and Locates Breathing in a Home, IEEE Journal on Selected Topics in Signal Processing, appeared online 5 November 2013, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 30-42. Also posted to arXiv:1302.3820 [cs.HC]. Published, 11/05/2013.
- Dustin Maas, Joey Wilson, and Neal Patwari, Toward a Rapidly Deployable RTI System for Tactical Operations, 8th IEEE International Workshop on Practical Issues in Building Sensor Network Applications (SenseApp 2013), Sydney, October 2013. Published, 10/2013.
- Brad Mager, Neal Patwari, and Maurizio Bocca, Fall detection using RF sensor networks, IEEE Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications Conference (PIMRC 2013), London, 9 Sept. 2013. Published, 09/2013.
- Merrick McCracken, Maurizio Bocca, and Neal Patwari, "Joint ultra-wideband and signal strength-based through-building tracking for tactical operations", arXiv:1303.1418 [cs.OH], in Proc. of IEEE SECON 2013, June 2013, New Orleans. Published, 06/2013.
- Yang Zhao, Neal Patwari, Jeff M. Phillips, and Suresh Venkatasubramanian, Radio tomographic imaging and tracking of stationary and moving people via kernel distance, in Proc. of Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN), April 2013 (slides). Published, 04/2013.
- Maurizio Bocca, Ossi Kaltiokallio, and Neal Patwari, Radio Tomographic Imaging for Ambient Assisted Living, in S. Chessa and S. Knauth (Eds.): Evaluating AAL Systems Through Competitive Benchmarking: International Competitions and Final Workshop. CCIS 362, pp. 108--130, Springer, March 2013. Published, 03/2013.
- O. Kaltiokallio, M. Bocca, and N. Patwari, Follow @grandma: long-term device-free localization for residential monitoring, 7th IEEE International Workshop on Practical Issues in Building Sensor Network Applications (SenseApp 2012), October 25, 2012. Best Paper Award.
- O. Kaltiokallio, M. Bocca, and N. Patwari, Enhancing the accuracy of radio tomographic imaging using channel diversity, 9th IEEE International Conference on Mobile Ad hoc and Sensor Systems, October 8-11, 2012.
- M. Bocca, S. Gupta, O. Kaltiokallio, B. Mager, Q. Tate, S.K. Kasera, N. Patwari, S. Venkatasubramanian, RF-based device-free localization and tracking for ambient assisted living", Evaluating AAL Systems through Competitive Benchmarking (EvAAL) Workshop, September 24, 2012, Eindhoven, The Netherlands. Published, 09/24/2012.
- S. N. Premnath, D. Wasden, S. K. Kasera, N. Patwari, B. Farhang-Boroujeny, Beyond OFDM: Best–Effort Dynamic Spectrum Access Using Filterbank Multicarrier, IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, appeared online August 30, 2012.
- A. Banerjee, M. Maheshwari, N. Patwari, and S.K. Kasera, Detecting receiver attacks in VRTI-based device free localization, 3rd IEEE International Workshop on Data Security and Privacy in Wireless Networks (D-SPAN 2012), pp. 1-6, June 2012.
- B. Wagner, N. Patwari, and D. Timmermann, Passive RFID tomographic imaging for device-free user localization 9th Workshop on Positioning Navigation and Communication (WPNC), 20 March 2012.
- S. N. Premnath, S. K. Kasera, B. Farhang-Boroujeny, N. Patwari, "Efficient Dynamic Spectrum Access in Vehicular Networks using Filterbank Multicarrier", 1st ACM/IEEE International Conference on Wireless Technologies for Humanitarian Relief (ACWR2011), December 18-21, 2011. Published, 12/18/2011.
- D. Maas, M. H. Firooz, J. Zhang, N. Patwari, and S. K. Kasera. "Channel Sounding for the Masses: Low Complexity GNU 802.11b Channel Impulse Response Estimation". IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications.
- P. Agrawal and N. Patwari, “Kernel Methods for RSS-based Indoor Localization”, in Handbook of Position Location: Theory, Practice and Advances, edited by M. Buehrer and S. Zekavat, ISBN-13: 978-0470943427, November 15, 2011.. Published, 11/2011.
- M. Maheshwari, S. Ananthanarayanan P.R., A. Banerjee, N. Patwari and S. K. Kasera, "Detecting Malicious Nodes in RSS-Based Localization", in Proceedings of the 2nd IEEE International Workshop on Data Security and Privacy in Wireless Networks (D-SPAN), June, 2011, pp. 1-6. Published, 06/2011.
- Y. Zhao, N. Patwari, Noise Reduction for Variance-Based Device-Free Localization and Tracking, in Proceedings of the Eighth IEEE Communications Society Conference on Sensor, Mesh and Ad Hoc Communications and Networks (SECON), June, 2011, pp. 179-187. Selective: 22% acceptance rate.
- J. Wilson and N. Patwari, "A Fade Level Skew-Laplace Signal Strength Model for Device-Free Localization With Wireless Networks", IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing.
- Y. Zhao, N. Patwari, P. Agrawal, M. Rabbat, "Directed by Directionality: Benefiting from the Gain Pattern of Active RFID Badges", IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing.
- N. Patwari and J. Wilson, "Spatial Models for Human Motion-Induced Signal Strength Variance on Static Links", IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, appeared online 25 April 2011, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 791-802, Sept. 2011.
- J. Zhang, S. K. Kasera, N. Patwari, and P. Rai, "Distinguishing Locations Across Perimeters Using Wireless Link Measurements", in Proceedings of Infocom 2011, March 2011. Highly Selective, 16.0% acceptance rate.
- N. Patwari and S. K. Kasera, “Temporal link signature measurements for location distinction”, IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, appeared online 14 October 2010.
- J. Wilson and N. Patwari, “See through walls: motion tracking using variance-based radio tomography networks,” IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, appeared online 23 September 2010.
- J. Wilson and N. Patwari, “Radio tomographic imaging with wireless networks,” IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 621–632, May 2010.
- N. Patwari and J. Wilson, “RF sensor networks for device-free localization and tracking,” Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 98, no. 11, pp. 1961–1973, Nov. 2010.
- S. N. Premnath, S. K. Kasera and N. Patwari, “Secret key extraction in MIMO-like sensor networks using wireless signal strength,” ACM SIGMOBILE Mobile Computing and Communications Review, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 7–9, July 2010.
- N. Patwari, J. Croft, S. Jana, and S. K. Kasera, “High rate uncorrelated bit extraction for shared secret key generation from channel measurements,” IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 17–30, Jan. 2010.
- J. Zhang, S.K. Kasera, N. Patwari, “Mobility Assisted Secret Key Generation Using Wireless Link Signatures,” in the 29th IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM 2010), March 15-19, 2010. (Selective: 24% acceptance rate). Published, 2010.
Dr. Patwari researches the application of statistical signal processing techniques to distributed networks, such as the internet and wireless sensor networks. He directs the Sensing and Processing Across Networks (SPAN) research group in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering.
- time synchronization
- radio wave propagation
- Wireless monitoring
- Mobile and Wireless Networks
- Estimation Theory
- Detection Theory
- Sensorless sensing: wireless networks as human context sensors. University of New South Wales (UNSW), Department of Computer Science and Engineering Lecture Series, 6 July, 2016, Sydney, Australia. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 07/06/2016.
- Sensorless sensing: wireless networks as human context sensors, Invited seminar for the IEEE Queensland Engineering in Medicine and Biology Chapter, 27 June 2016, Australian eHealth Research Center at Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital campus, Brisbane, Australia. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 06/27/2016.
- Sensorless sensing: wireless networks as human context sensors, Invited seminar presented to the Queensland Center for Advanced Technologies (QCAT), CSIRO, 20 June 2016, Pullenvale, Australia. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 06/20/2016.
- Internet of Things and Personalized Medicine. Seminar at the US-Europe Invited Workshop on the Next Generation Internet of Things, March 31-April 1, 2016, Los Angeles. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 03/31/2016.
- "Ten years of sensorless sensing", plenary talk at the 16th IEEE Workshop on Signal Processing Advances in Wireless Communications (SPAWC), Stockholm, June 29, 2015. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 06/29/2015.
- "Tracking without tags: environmental awareness using RF tomography", Keynote talk at the 8th Annual IEEE Conference on RFID, Orlando, April 2014. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 04/2014.
- "Tracking without tags: environmental awareness using RF tomography”, Keynote talk at the 8th Annual IEEE Conference on RFID, Orlando, April 2014 . Invited Talk/Keynote, Accepted, 12/2013.
- "Indoor Intelligence: RF sensing networks for indoor localization and monitoring", Invited keynote talk at the Workshop on Wireless Sensor Systems (WoWSS) 2012, Aalto University, Helsinki Finland, Dec. 2012. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 12/2012.
- "Radio tomography: Environmental inference from wireless network signal strength measurements", Invited keynote talk at the 2012 Network Mapping and Measurement Conference (NMMC), 20 March 2012, in Phoenix, Arizona. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 03/20/2012.
- “Building RF Sensor Networks”, Invited keynote talk at the Fifth IEEE International Workshop on Practical Issues in Building Sensor Network Applications (SenseApp 2010), on 14 Oct. 2010, in Denver, Colorado. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 10/14/2010.
- Goverdhan Reddy Pandla, Graduate Student. ECE. 01/01/2017 - present.
- Shakir-ul Haque Khan, Graduate Student. ECE. 08/16/2016 - 12/31/2016.
- Alemayehu Solomon Abrar, Graduate Student. 01/01/2016 - present.
- Michael Empey, Graduate Student. 01/01/2016 - present.
- Phil Lundrigan, Graduate Student. School of Computing. 10/01/2015 - present.
- Steven Brown, Graduate Student. 08/16/2015 - 12/31/2016.
- Kyeong T. Min, Graduate Student. ECE. 05/2014 - present.
- Spencer C. Madsen, Graduate Student. Bioengineering. 01/2014 - present.
- Amal Lotfy, Graduate Student. 08/2013 - present.
- Anh Luong, Graduate Student. 08/2013 - present.
- Peter Hillyard, Graduate Student. 05/2012 - present.
- SCIENCE OF TEMPORAL FADING. PI: PATWARI,NEAL. NATIONAL SCIENCE FOUNDATION, 08/01/2014 - 07/31/2017. Total project budget to date: $187,653.00
- NSF ROSELINE: UCLA SUBCONTRACT. PI: PATWARI,NEAL. UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA LOS A, 06/15/2014 - 05/31/2016. Total project budget to date: $221,946.00
- HUMAN CONTEXT AWARENESS. PI: PATWARI,NEAL. NATIONAL SCIENCE FOUNDATION, 09/15/2010 - 08/31/2015. Total project budget to date: $351,437.00
- CAREER: RF-SENSING NETWORKS. PI: PATWARI,NEAL. NATIONAL SCIENCE FOUNDATION, 02/01/2008 - 01/31/2013. Total project budget to date: $400,000.00