Director, Capstone Initiatives, Undergraduate Studies
Associate Professor (Lecturer), City & Metropolitan Planning
Acting Co-director, Consortium for Dark Sky Studies, City & Metropolitan Planning
Undergraduate Coordinator, City & Metropolitan Planning
Affiliate Faculty GCSC, Biology
- B.A. 1976,
- Loeb Fellow 2000,
Advanced Environmental Studies,
Honors & Awards
- Dark Sky Defender Award.
International Dark Skies Association,
- Career Services Faculty Recognition Award.
University of Utah,
- Teacher Appreciation Award.
Sigma Chi Fraternity,
- Distinguished Alumni Award.
- Professor of the Year.
College of Architecture + Planning,
- Named one of Utah's 15 Most Influential Artists.
15 Bytes Magazine,
- Named one of Utah's 100 catalysts of change.
- Award for producing one of the Top 10 Planning Books for 2011
- Jane Jacobs Urban Communication Award for the book, What We See: Advancing the Observations of Jane Jacobs.
Urban Communication Foundation,
- Outstanding Achievement Award for student planning project titled, "Listening to Mobridge".
Utah Chapter, American Planning Association,
- Top Reads of 2010
re:Place Magazine ,
- ASUU 2010 Students Choice Teaching Award.
- Award of Distinction for Service to the Field by a non-architect.
American Institute of Architects Western Region,
Community Writing Center
09/01/2009 - 08/30/2011
Salzburg Congress for Urban Planning and Design
05/01/2009 - 05/01/2012
Center for Urban Watershed Renewal
03/01/2006 - present
In the Media
- Salt Lake Tribune "Sugar House’s Monument Plaza a success, but what about the rest of the city?". 07/05/2015.
- Salt Lake Tribune, "City Creek Center: Boon for downtown or one of SLC's biggest mistakes?". 04/29/2015.
- “A discussion with Jaime Lerner: Unpacking Urban Acupuncture” LOEBlog, Harvard University, October 30, 2014, . 10/30/2014.
- “The buck for safe hillside development stops with Utah Cities,” Salt Lake Tribune, 11 August, 2014, . 08/11/2014.
- “Improving Salt Lake City, one neighborhood at a time,” Deseret News, 10 February, 2014, . 02/10/2014.
- The end in 2012? Salt Lake City just beginning. 12/27/2012.
- Study to analyze economic impacts of historic preservation. 12/03/2012.
- Preservationists roar approval of new ‘Lion’ Gratz. 11/15/2012.
- Curtain to fall on Salt Lake City architectural gem? 08/12/2012.
- "Mormons Make Utah Nations Second Most Religious State". 03/30/2012.
- Premier of KUER video, "Salt Lake City: A Downtown Story"
- City Creek Center: Will All of Downtown Benefit? Story in Salt Lake Tribune. 03/18/2012.
- "Will 'Mormon Mall' Stimulate or Stymie Downtown?". 03/09/2012.
- Salt Lake Tribune. 06/13/2011.
- Re:Place Magazine--Top Reads of 2010. 01/05/2011.
- Planetizen Magazine, Top 10 Planning Books for 2011. 11/22/2010.
- Salt Lake Tribune. 04/23/2010.
- New York Times. 02/07/2010.
- New York Times. 02/07/2010.
- PBS Blueprint America. 11/07/2009.
- PBS. 11/06/2009.
- USA Today. 10/29/2009.
- USA Today. 10/26/2009.
- New York Times. 05/12/2009.
Geographical Regions of Interest
- Brazil. Provided a Learning Aboard opportunity for students in Curitiba, Brazil, where we spent 10 days exploring advancements in sustainable development, social equity and mobility, affordable housing development and waste management.
- Ethiopia. Organized a conference of Salzburg Congress for Urban Planning and Development on the topic, "Cities Beyond Tools: Confronting Poverty and Climate Change" Addis Ababa, May 14-17, 2016.
- Germany. Applied research in implementing sustainable development policy, architecture, renewable energy production and mobility is a focus of my work in Germany where I take students for study abroad.
- India. Co-PI with Professor Benjamin Cohen on project funded by U.S. Consulate to engage in a 7-month project with students from the U of U and Hyderabad, India to develop market-ready responses to problems of water security and women's rights to sanitation in Hyderbad.
- Israel. Member of a consulting team working in The Valley of Springs, Israel, invited by the community's Mayor along with other planners, architects and landscape architects to create a plan for the areas community and economic development.