I lead an interdisciplinary research team that conducts high-resolution bio- and chronostratigraphic analyses using the graphic correlation dating method via the composite standard database, with a current focus on the South, Central and North Atlantic Ocean margins. This dating technique provides one-to-one correlation between any given depth in the well and absolute age (in mega-annum), along with the ability to calculate sedimentation rates, and identify missing sections with precision. Additionally, the ease of integrating geologic data, be it depositional facies, log or seismic data that is overlain on the study well to absolute age is of immense value to the E & P industry. The capability to provide absolute age constraints on depositional events and unconformities is critically important in basin modeling and significantly improves the precision of the model. Higher confidence in basin models bring more precision to exploration strategies for energy companies, thereby contributing to resource sustainability in the industry.
A related topic of research is the evaluation of the microfossil (especially nannofossil) record across the Cretaceous oceanic anoxic events (OAE) that have contributed to source rock deposition in marine systems. The spatial and temporal record of these marine carbon cycle generated events has not been fully understood in the context of integrated petroleum systems. In conjunction with organic geochemistry, my team is working on synthesizing the stratigraphy and petroleum systems of the conjugate Atlantic margins, via a carefully selected suite of study wells, through an iterative process of revising existing age and paleoenvironmental models, followed by rigorous petroleum systems analyses and interpretations.
The research and training I provide brings a long-term benefit to future energy explorers globally, especially in these times of economic stress in the energy industry that is witnessing a reduction in the strength of mature, knowledgeable staff within the industry.
- Petroleum Systems
- Graphic Correlation
- Composite Standard Database
- Calcareous nannofossils
- Age dating
- Central and North Atlantic Ocean - Geochemistry, Chronostratigraphy and Paleoenvironmental Evolution of the Passive Margin. Presented at Total E & P, Paris. Attended by 40 people. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 03/06/2017.
- South Atlantic Ocean Chronostratigraphy and Paleoenvironmental Synopsis. Presented at Statoil, Stavanger, Norway. Attended by 25 people. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 10/24/2016.
- EGI Oceans Region 1: South Atlantic Ocean Phase 1, Final results and Project Wrap-Up Meeting. Presented to 13 corporate associate sponsors in Houston, TX. Other, Presented, 08/03/2016.
- Shale Resource Evaluation of the Barren Measures Formation, Damodar Basin, for unconventional hydrocarbons. Presented at International Conference on Geosciences and Environment, and the 32nd Annual Convention of Indian Association of Sedimentologists, and a one-day Workshop on Shale Oil and Shale Gas Exploration. Annamalai University, Tamil Nadu, India. Invited Talk/Keynote, Presented, 01/08/2016.
- Kanungo, S., 2012. High Resolution Mesozoic Chronostratigraphy and Depositional Facies of the Offshore Ghana Margin (Gulf of Guinea). Final Sponsors Meeting Presentation, Houston, TX; Final Sponsors Meeting Presentation, Tema, Ghana. Other, Presented, 09/05/2012.
- English, fluent.
- Hindi, fluent.
- Oriya, fluent.
Geographical Regions of Interest
Northern Africa: Morocco, Tunisia, Western Sahara; Western Africa: Ghana, Cote d'Ivoire, Benin; Middle Africa: Dem. Republic of Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Angola; Southern Africa: South Africa.
Canadian Arctic .
- Eastern Africa
Somalia to Mozambique.
East and west Coast peri-cratonic basins, including intra-cratonic Gondwana basins, e.g., Damodar Basin.
- Northern America
East Coast USA, Canada (Labrador Sea, Newfoundland).
- South America
Venezuela, Suriname, Guyana, French Guiana, Brazil, Argentina, Falkland Islands (Malvinas).
- Western Europe
UK, Spain, Iberia, Bay of Biscay.
Research Equipment and Testing Expertise
- Paleo Data Systems and Services (PDSS). Contact: Dr. Sudeep Kanungo , 801-585-7852 , 423 Wakara Way, Suite 300, Salt Lake City, UT84108.
- ArcGIS 10.3 compatible map packages. EGI Oceans Region 1: South Atlantic Project (Maps). Release Date: 06/30/2017. Inventors: Christopher Kesler, Sudeep Kanungo, Matthias Greb, Eiichi Setoyama and David Thul. Distribution List: Anadarko Petroleum, BHP Billiton, ConocoPhillips, Eni, Chevron, Cobalt Energy, CASA Exploration, ExxonMobil, Hess, Maersk Oil, CNOOC-Nexen, Noble Energy, Statoil, Tullow Oil, Total, Woodside.
- Kanungo, S., Bown, P. R., Young, J. R. & Gale, A. S. (2018). A brief warming event in the late Albian: evidence from calcareous nannofossils, macrofossils, and isotope geochemistry of the Gault Clay Formation, Folkestone, southeastern England. Journal of Micropaleontology, Copernicus Publishers. Vol. 37, 231-247.
- Ahmed, W., McLennan, J., Bhat, G. M., Craig, J., Thul, D., Thusu, B., Kanungo, S., Hakhoo, N., Hafiz, M. & Tran, T. (2017). Source potential and geomechanical characterization of the Barren Measures Formation, Damodar Basin, eastern India. AAPG/SEG International Conference and Exhibition (ICE) Abstracts. Vol. AAPG/SEG ICE Abstracts 2017. Published, 10/15/2017.
- Sudeep Kanungo, Jeremy Young & Gosia Skowron (2017). Microfossils: Calcareous Nannoplankton (Nannofossils). (pp. 18). Vol. Earth Science Series, Springer International Publishing.
- Hafiz, M., S. Kanungo, N. Hakhoo, & M. Pathak (eds.), 2017, International Workshop Proceedings - Indian Shale Oil and Gas Exploration, January 2016: Salt Lake City, Utah, Energy & Geoscience Institute (EGI), University of Utah.
- Hakhoo, N., Thusu, B., Mani, D., Bhat, G.M., Craig, J., Thurow, J., Hafiz, M., Kanungo, S., Koul, S., and Ahmed, W., 2016. Hydrocarbon Resource Potential of the Proterozoic Sirban Limestone Formation, NW Himalaya, Jammu. Journal Geological Society of India, 88, pp. 685-692. Published, 12/15/2016.
- Kanungo, S., Setoyama, E., Thul, D., Greb, M., Skowron, G., Silwal, S., Kesler, C. & Gowda, V. (2016). Refinements to Chronostratigraphy of Cretaceous Anoxic Events from the Southern South Atlantic Conjugate Margin (Falkland Segment - Africa): Comparison of Six DSDP Sites. HGS-PESGB 15th Conference on Africa E & P Proceedings. 114-115. Published, 09/15/2016.
- Kanungo, S., Skowron, G., Setoyama, E. & Silwal, S., 2016. Chronostratigraphic Applications of the Composite Standard Database. ASK EGI Newsletter, Vol. 2, Issue 3.