Adjunct Associate Professor, Geology & Geophysics
Honors & Awards
- Best Poster Award ( scientific content and presentation; non-student category) at the 15th HGS-PSEGB Conference: African E&P 2016 Africa Conference.
Houston Geological Society,
- Serving on the Executive Committee of the Academic Senate.
Executive Committee Representative (College of Engineering),
08/31/2016 - present.
- Senate Personnel and Elections Committee.
Encourage, promote and align faculty members to serve on university and research committees,
08/01/2016 - 07/30/2018.
- Senate Advisory Ad-hoc Committee on Campus Sexual Assault.
Guided by the Academic Senate to serve on this committee to gauge and improve campus climate,
09/14/2015 - present.
- Member, Academic Senate.
Elected by the College of Engineering as a faculty representative to serve on the Academic Senate,
05/15/2015 - 05/15/2018.
- Member, College of Engineering Council.
Elected to the College of Engineering Council,
05/15/2015 - 05/15/2018.
- Guiding the international energy industry (Exploration & Production companies) on
state-of-the-art technology on geological time scales, chrono-stratigraphic correlations,
paleoenvironmental evaluation of depositional systems, and global anoxia to help them
evaluate, de-risk and improve their drilling prospects. This also results in lowering the
environmental impact of exploration drilling for conventional (deepwater) and
unconventional prospects and fields.
01/02/2017 - present
- with Ghana National Petroleum Corporation, Ghana, via training program at EGI, University of Utah for 4 visiting geologists. Included, lectures/ demonstrations, short projects, training, field excursions, etc.
03/2012 - 05/2012
- Delivered seminars on the “Geological evolution of the Central, North and South Atlantic
Margin” covering inter-disciplinary topics such as stratigraphic correlations, global and
local anoxia, paleo-geographic and paleo-climatic evolution, source rock systems
Seminars have been delivered to the following companies through physical presence
and/or web-based communication led by me (Sudeep Kanungo):
1. INPEX Corporation (Japan): January 2018
2. ExxonMobil: London UK; Houston, TX; and Calgary (Canada) offices. October
2016, May 2017, October-November 2017.
3. Husky Energy (Calgary): October 2017
4. Nexen CNOOC (Calgary): October 2017
5. Suncor (Calgary): October 2017
6. Chevron (Calgary): October 2017
7. Geological Survey of Canada: October 2017
8. Tullow Oil: September 2017
9. Shell UK (London): July 2017
10. BP (London): June 2017
11. Total (Paris, France): March 2017
12. Cairn Energy: April 2017
13. YPF (Buenos Aires, Argentina): November 2016
14. Statoil (Stavanger, Norway): October 2016
15. Ophir Energy: July 2016
16. Eni (London and Italy): April-May 2016.
01/04/2016 - present
- Volunteer, Junior Achievement (JA) of Utah.
10/01/2015 - present
In the Media
- Received the Best Professional Poster Award (Non-Student Category) at the 15th HGS-PESGB
African E& P Conference (Sep. 2016) in Houston, TX. The poster was chosen #1
from among 30 posters presented at the conference. 09/15/2016.