Associate Professor, History
Associate Professor, Gender Studies
Director of Graduate Studies, History
- Organization of American Historians .
Role: Appointed Member.
International Committee, 2015-2018.
01/2015 - 01/2018
- Pacific Coast Branch American Historical Association.
Role: Elected Member.
01/2015 - 01/2018
- American Studies Association.
Book Review Editor (with Laura Briggs) of American Quarterly, the American Studies Association’s flagship journal, 2015-2018 .
01/2015 - 12/2017
- Men and Masculinities.
Editorial Board Member.
01/2013 - present
- Coalition for Western Women's History.
Steering Committee Member.
10/2012 - present
- Western History Association.
Committee on Race in the American West.
10/2010 - present
- Independent Reviewer, University Research Committee.
09/2016 - present.
- Department of History Honors Advisor.
09/2014 - present.
- University General Education Curriculum Council.
09/2014 - 05/2016.
- Chair, Gender Studies Tenure and Promotion Committee.
09/2014 - 12/2014.
- University Interdisciplinary Teaching Programs Advisory Committee.
09/2012 - 05/2013.
- Department of History U.S. West Position Search Committee.
09/2012 - 02/2013.
- Co-organizer, Pacific Islander Studies Initiative.
05/2016 - present
- Organized “Cracked Earth: the Third Westerns of the World”
04/2010 - 04/2010
Honors & Awards
- Virgil C. Aldrich Faculty Fellow.
Tanner Humanities Center, University of Utah,
- Distinguished Lecturer.
Organization of American Historians,
- Honors Humanities Professorship.
University of Utah,
- Pacific Coast Branch Book Award.
American Historical Association Pacific Coast Branch,
- Philip Taft Labor History Book Award.
Cornell University ILR School and the Labor and Working Class History Association,
- Faculty Research Grant Award.
University Research Committee,
- Resident Scholar Fellowship
Stout Research Centre for New Zealand Studies ,
- Distinguished Graduate and Post-Doctoral Mentor Award
University of Utah Graduate School ,
- Alpha Rho Scholars’ Choice Instructor of Distinction Award
Phi Alpha Theta,
- Alpha Rho Scholars’ Choice Instructor of Distinction Award.
Phi Alpha Theta,
- Autry Public History Prize.
Western History Association,
- Award of Merit.
American Association of State and Local History ,
- Outstanding Public History Project - Honorable Mention.
National Council for Public History,
In the Media
- CSPAN filmed the session I organized, moderated, and participated in on Western Working Class History at the Western History Association. 10/2015.
- Salt Lake Tribune reporters interviewed me several times regarding the labor and gender history surrounding Joe Hill's execution. 10/2015.
- Fox 13 News interview about the history of Pinkerton Detectives. 09/2014.
- New Books in History interview and podcast about my book Meet Joe Copper: Masculinity and Race on Montana's World War II Home Front. 11/2013.
- Kristin Moulton, "Saving Veterans' Nuanced Stories of Iraq," ran on The Denver Post's "American Homecomings" Website, which covers the experience of Iraq and Afghanistan veterans. "American Homecomings" also has a video piece about the creation of the Veterans Oral History Project that I led. 06/2012.
- Interview, Slate.com’s “Five Minute Museum” coverage of “At Work:
Prints of the Great Depression,” 2012
- Featured Guest, “New Deal Art: Why it is Relevant Today,”
Burt Cohen Show, Progressive Radio Network, 2012
- Featured Guest, “The Art of the Great Depression Today,”
RadioActive Public Affairs Show, KRCL 90.9, Salt Lake City, 2012
- Featured Guest, Men at Work, “City Views, ” KCPW 88.3, February 2012. 02/2012.