Associate Professor, Geography Department
Assistant Professor, Geography Department
- Hohl, A. & Choi, M., Yellowhorse, A. J., Medina, R. M., Wan, N., and Wen, M. (2022). Spatial Distribution of Hateful Tweets Against Asians and Asian Americans During the COVID-19 Pandemic, November 2019 to May 2020. American Journal of Public Health. Vol. 112(4), 646-649.
- Das, S. & Medina, R. M., Nicolosi, E. A., Agopian, A., Kuo, I., Opoku, J., Allston, A., and Kharfen, M. (2021). Networks of Heterosexual Contacts and their Implications on HIV Infection. PLOS One.
- Medina, R. M. & Nicolosi, E. A., Brewer, S., and Moore, E. A. (2021). Geographical Analysis of Socioeconomic and Ideological Drivers of Hate Crime in the United States. International Journal of Applied Geospatial Research. Vol. 12(2), 39-56.
- Medina, R. M. & Waters, N. (2021). Social Network Analysis. In (eds.) M. M. Fischer and P. Nijkamp, Handbook of Regional Science, 2nd edition. Springer.
- Medina, R. M. & Nicolosi, E. A., Riley, C., and McNeally, P. (2021). Reflections on Responses to Geographical Research on Hate in the United States. Public Understanding of Science. Vol. 30(6), 797-806.
- Nicolosi, E. A. & Medina, R. M., Riley, C., and McNeally, P. (2020). Crowdsourcing Sensitive VGI: Constructing the Hate Incident Reporting System. Digital Geography and Society. Vol. 1.
- Medina, R. M. & Byrne, K., Brewer, S., and Nicolosi, E. (2020). Housing Inequalities: Eviction Patterns in Salt Lake County, Utah. Cities. Vol. 104.
- Nicolosi, E. & French, J., Medina, R. (2020). Add to the Map! Evaluating Digitally-Mediated Participatory Mapping for Grassroots Sustainabilities. The Geographical Journal. Vol. 186.
- Fuhriman, C. & Medina, R. M. and Brewer, S. (2020). Introducing a Dataset of Multi-Scale Geographies of ISIS Ideology from ISIS Sources. Terrorism and Political Violence.
- Wei, Y. D. & Xiao, W., Medina, R. M., and Tian, G. (2019). Departures and Destinations of Walking Behavior: Effects of Neighborhood Amenity, Safety, and Urban Environment. Urban Geography.
- Call, D. & Medina, R. M., Black, A. (2019). Causes of Weather-Related Crashes in Salt Lake County, Utah. The Professional Geographer.
- Medina, R., Nicolosi, E., Brewer, S. & Linke, A. (2018). Geographies of Organized Hate in America: A Regional Analysis. Annals of the American Association of Geographers.
- Nicolosi, E., Medina, R. & Feola, G. (2018). Grassroots Innovations for Sustainability in the United States: A Spatial Analysis. Applied Geography. Vol. 91, 55-69.
- Pulver, A. & Medina, R. (2018). A Review of Security and Privacy Concerns in Digital Intelligence Collection. Intelligence and National Security. Vol. 33, 241-256.
- Medina, R. M, Cervone, G., and Waters, N. (2017) Characterizing and Predicting Traffic Accidents in Extreme Weather Environments. The Professional Geographer 69(1):126-137.
- Lee, A., Medina, R. M., and Bolton, F. (2016) Breaking Down the Fundamental Challenges in Effective Operational Assessments. Campaigning Fall: 13-22.
- Rice, M. T., Paez, F. I., Rice, R. M., Ong, E. W., Qin, H., Seitz, C. R., Fayne, J. V., Curtin, K. C., Fuhrmann, S., Pfoser, D., Medina, R. M. (2014) Quality Assessment and Accessibility Applications of Crowdsourced Geospatial Data: A Report on the Development and Extension of the George Mason University Geocrowdsourcing Testbed. US Army Engineer Research and Development Center (ERDC).
- Medina, R. M (2016) From Anthropology to Human Geography: Human Terrain and the Evolution of Operational Sociocultural Understanding. Intelligence and National Security 31(2):137-153.
- Medina, R. M. and Hepner, G. F. (2015) A Note of the State of Geography and Geospatial Intelligence Research. NGA Pathfinder, 13(1):8-9.
- Hepner, G. F. and Medina, R. M. (2015) Industry Insights: Considering the State of Geography and Geospatial Intelligence Research. Earth Imaging Journal 12(3):10-11.
- Medina, R. M. (2014) Social Network Analysis of the Islamist Terrorist Network. Security Journal 27(1):97-121.
- Hannigan, J., Hernandez, G., Medina, R. M., Roos, P., and Shakarian, P. (2013) Mining for Spatially-Near Communities in Geo-Located Social Networks. Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence - Social Networks and Social Contagion: Web Analytics and Computational Social Science, Arlington, VA. November 15-17.
- Medina, R. M. and Hepner, G. F. (2013) The Geography of International Terrorism: An Introduction to Spaces and Places of Violent Non-State Groups. Boca Raton: Taylor & Francis/CRC Press.
- Bahgat, K. and Medina, R. M. (2013) An Overview of Geographical Perspectives and Approaches in Terrorism Research. Perspectives on Terrorism 7(1):38-72.
- Hepner, G. F. and Medina, R. M. (2012) Understanding the Geography of Terrorism. Earth Imaging Journal 9(5): 24-25.
- Medina, R. M. and Hepner, G. F. (2011) Advancing the Understanding of Sociospatial Dependencies in Terrorist Networks. Transactions in GIS 15(5): 577-597.
- Medina, R. M., Siebeneck, L. K., and Hepner, G. F. (2011) A Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Analysis of Spatiotemporal Patterns of Terrorist Incidents in Iraq 2004-2009. Studies in Conflict and Terrorism 34:862-882.
- Kobayashi, T., Medina, R. M., and Cova, T. J. (2011) Visualizing Diurnal Population Change in Urban Areas for Emergency Management. The Professional Geographer 63 (1):113-130.
- Siebeneck, L. K., Medina, R. M., Yamada, I., and Hepner, G. F. (2009) Spatial and Temporal Analyses of Terrorist Incidents in Iraq, 2004-2006. Studies in Conflict and Terrorism 32 (7):591-610.
- Modello, C., Hepner, G. F., and Medina, R. M. (2008) ASPRS 10-Year Industry Forecast: Phase V. Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing 74 (11):1297-1305.
- Medina, R. and Hepner, G. F. (2008) Geospatial Analysis of Dynamic Terrorist Networks. In Values and Violence: Intangible Aspects of Terrorism, eds. I. Karawan, W. McCormack, and S. E. Reynolds. Berlin: Springer.
- LaDochy, S., Medina, R., and Patzert, W. (2007) Recent California Climate Variability: Spatial and Temporal Patterns in Temperature Trends. Climate Research 33 (2):159-169.
- The Sociospatial Ecology of Deaths During Police Interactions in the United States, 2016-2020. Annual Meeting of the American Association of Geographers (AAG), New York, NY. (Online).
- Hate and Extremism in the US. Utah Council for the Social Studies (UCSS) Annual Conference, South Jordan, UT.
- Activities of the University of Utah Geospatial Intelligence Research Lab (GIRL). MAPPS Summer Conference, Park City, UT.
- Hate: A Research Agenda. Division of Public Health Grand Rounds, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.
- Hate in the US: A Geographical Analysis of Movements and Activities. Annual Meeting of the American Association of Geographers (AAG), Boston, MA.
- Community Voices for Housing Equality.
- How do We Hate? Center for Research on Migration and Refugee Integration meeting, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, January 6.
- Considerations for the Terrorist Threat in America. Peace and Conflict Studies Speed Lectures, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.
- Medina, R. M. “The Evolution of the Global Jihad and the Role of Geography in Counterterrorism.” Geography Awareness Week, Brown Bag Lecture, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT., November 18, 2014.
- Medina, R. and Holby, T. “The Geography of American Radicalization” Annual Meeting of the Association of American Geographers (AAG), Tampa, FL., April 8-12, 2014.